wgparks

getting ready for first fight

wgparks

Friends fraternity doing a fightnight they raise money for each year and counts as an official record so I decided to sign up for it. I have a couple questions on equipment. Do gloves have to be a certain color or just have to be the correct weight? It says sleeveless shirt in official rulebook can that just be a regular undershirt? I don't have money for gear right now so cant afford a jersey lol

also what other restrictions on trunks other than have to be different color than top?

A lot of questions so thanks in advance for the help!

CruiserWeight

(713) 412-0668

Name: Randy Horn

He is the regional president for USA Boxing in our area. Contact him and ask him any questions that you have. He is located out of Porter.

GRIM

To compete in a sanctioned "USA"amateur event.

1. Most important boxing experience, you should be in a gym training and sparring

2. The gloves are provided by the host, the size of the gloves are dependent on your body weight 150 LBS 12 OZ. the color of the glove will determine what corner you are in

3. The boxer will need to provide hi/her own, cup/no foul protector, clothing "Shoes, trunks, upper garment usually tank top" and most important "Competition head gear" it must have the USA Boxing approved patch on the head gear, if this is under USA Boxing. So basically open face or cheek protector head gear.

4. Some rules have changed allowing for the boxer to use regular Velcro gym wraps or coach wraps hands with gauze

5. Mouth guard "Non red in color"

6. Clear transparent water bottle

7. Boxer must be registered and current with USA Boxing

I do this almost 3 time a month ask me any question and I will be more than glad to help with answers from my experience inside and outside of the ropes

blackrican23
:D I told wg in shout you would have the answers

GRIM

Cheahhh B good looking, I just messaged him of FB to peep this thread :ltup

blackrican23

Oh is that how he found site from FB ?

GRIM

Probably, but he had just sent me a friend request today as I was heading back home from LA, I'm tired as  "mofo" gonna get some sleep I'll be back :nice

wgparks

Actually I stumbled onto these forums because i was looking for a forum and this popped up. Had no idea it was connected to a gym. I stayed because I got to know a couple of you guys and like it here.

I would prefer to use my own headgear if its possible. But to get my own for sparring (right now I dont use headgear when I spar) what should I look at? I like the look of the rival headgear line and the price but ill ask what you guys think

blackrican23

Actually I stumbled onto these forums because i was looking for a forum and this popped up. Had no idea it was connected to a gym. I stayed because I got to know a couple of you guys and like it here.

I would prefer to use my own headgear if its possible. But to get my own for sparring (right now I dont use headgear when I spar) what should I look at? I like the look of the rival headgear line and the price but ill ask what you guys think

GRIM said headgear is considered the fighters gear and you must supply your own  of " open face or cheek protector head gear"

one bit of advice , you should train the way the fight is going to happen. You will have always have to wear headgear my man , and wearing headgear is an adjustment, kinda like wearing your football helmet if you played that in highschool. headgear can twist and move around obviously getting punched can become a distraction that could cost you a fight , need to get used to it from day one

also keep in mind you will be wearing a mouth piece , having to use your nose more than breathing open mouthed. you should train for that as well

this frat fun night sounds cool , kinda like a toughman contest , but far different for boxing competitive such as GRIMS team does I wouldn't go all out buying all types of expensive equipment to get started, honestly it might not be for you and the equipment doesn't get used

boxing isn't a high tec equipment sport like baseball , or football or even your paintball . In paintball better equipment gives you a better chance of winning , not  in boxing , you just gotta just really bring yourself 

GRIM

Yes the head gear is your responsibility, if this is a USA Boxing event the head gear must be competition head gear approved by USA Boxing, which means the headgear you wear has the USA Boxing approved patch on it.

I also agree with B that you should train and spar with all the equipment that you will be competing in just to get use to the fit and feel

Below is a pic of comp head gear with cheek protectors, notice the slightly visible patch on the rear right had side

post-1-0-74156900-1376236060_thumb.jpg

wgparks

I was looking at that title headgear actually. Yeah this frat fight night is for fun and all but im going to begetting a trainer here soon. I went to hanks gym down here yesterday with a friend and did some real sparring in a ring and actually did really well and going to be signing a membership there to get ready for a real event.

Also just like to point out that in paintball better equipment nothing. All guns had to shoot the same speed it was just flash and intimidation really for all the different stuff lol it all came down to skill. Ive had my 1200 dollar gun and preferred to shoot my little 200 dollar gun at tournaments

wgparks

Well cool then :tup

Same concept

I ended up going with those title shoes you were showing me on sale for $25, glad I did because the extra can actually go to some headgear.....shoes and headgear for the same price as the original shoes I wanted. How bout that.

How do you size headgear though?

and thanks for all the help guys, i know i got a lot of questions and you guys always have the answers!

GRIM

All comp type HG are adjustable via the lace t the top and the lace at the back. Medium is the basic average size, if you have a big head get a large. but Medium as I stated is the average due to the adjustments.

Also keep in mind you want the HG to fit snug if it is loose you will have to adjust in mid spar or fight after impact. a good opponent looks for a guy that always adjusting his mal fitted head gear because it's a good time to fire a punch or 2 while me is making the on the fly adjustments :yess

wgparks

okay im going to pick up some title hg (the one you posted up) ill have everything i need after the HG, just need to get in the gym and prepare for the fight. which starting tomorrow ill be hitting the gym 3 times a week, while hitting my home gym twice a week. and running every other day (gotta get in atleast 3 miles today)

GRIM

Great! keep us updated m8, Posts, pics, vids, what ever you got :tup

wgparks

Great! keep us updated m8, Posts, pics, vids, what ever you got :tup

i have some videos of me doing some training i need to post up for critique. ill put up some videos of my sparring sessions too. ill probably still mainly spar with my friend at his house for the most part since we have a good setup, ill do weekend spars at the gym though

wgparks

went to a new gym today and did some sparring and had a blast. was able to do 6 rounds at 3:30 each round andI decided i need to get a trainer (i want to do more than this fight night. ive developed an addiction to this sport) so i was wondering, from your views, how should i go about it? how much is paying too much for a training session? if there are answers at all to these questions....?

GRIM

Depends on your budget. If you are looking for private training sessions it can be costly depending where and who, I offer private sessions for a Dollar a minute with a 30 minute minimum. But I find that a 1/2 hr is too quick, so I add the second 1/2 hour for free, So I then focus on physical conditioning for the first half, the they glove up and we work on boxing for the second half.

Your other option is to join a decent boxing gym that offer classes, "Not that soccer mom boot camp shit" 

blackrican23

honestly your an ammy fighter who started late , for 40$ a month gym dues , there should be enough general instruction to get you on the right path.

if you have talent they will see it , and work to make you better most likely for free no private session needed.

at your stage youtube videos is the free sessions you need , take that and apply it at the gym. trainers and all that stuff will take care of its self

wgparks

Sounds like a good deal g. Another reason I wish I was in cali lol I guess I just need to talk with a trainer and see what's up

CruiserWeight

Just remember to sting like a butterfly and punch like a flea!