German under 21 star racially abused in match

Mofo2

German second-tier side 1860 Munich had a football supporter arrested and banned from the stadium for racially abusing a Germany Under-21 international during a league match on Sunday. Ingolstadts 20-year-old defender Danny da Costa, who played for Germany Under-21s in last Tuesday's goalless draw with France, was the victim of racist taunts in his team's 1-0 second-tier defeat at Munich's Allianz Arena, which 1860 share with Bayern Munich.

"In the second-half, several fans, or whatever you want to call them, felt the need to shout stuff like '*nicer*' or 'black pig' in my direction," the Ingolstadt defender told SID, an AFP subsidiary.

"There was only a few of them, but every time the ball came near me, there were monkey chants. Of course, it's a pretty shitty feeling." As the insults continued, the junior international complained to referee Florian Mayer, who had an announcement put out over the tannoy system to stop the abuse.

AC Milan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng - who was born in Germany but played for Ghana at international level - famously walked off the pitch in Italy when subject to racist abuse last January, but Da Costa said doing something similar "wasn't an option for me at that moment".

The right-back said this was the worst abuse he had experienced in his short career. "I have never seen anything like this before," he said. "Recently, I stood on the pitch with the Under-21 team and sang the German national anthem - now I have to take these insults.

"These are just morons who should stay at home and insult the wallpaper."

1860 Munich's chief executive officer Robert Schaefer apologised to Da Costa in a statement and said a stadium ban will follow for those responsible.

"Any abuse of this kind has no place at our games," said Schaefer.

"We are very grateful to our stewards, who immediately responded professionally and consistently.

"We were able to identify the person and have him arrested.

"Additionally, we will immediately issue a stadium ban."

Da Costa's team-mate Ralph Gunesch, who sat on the Ingolstadt bench and heard what was being shouted, took to Facebook to vent his fury.

"To continually insult a dark-skinned player with "fucking *nicer*" or "get back in the bush" with ape noises only shows that their IQ is only just above that of burnt toast," wrote Gunsch.

"Lock yourselves up at home and prattle on with your racist rubbish to the wallpaper, but save us all from these ideas.

"Racism is a crime not an opinion."

No more than any other Nation G....there are mindless dickwads everywhere that use race,colour or crede as a stick to beat minorities with, it's just beyond being sad a young man playing sport is abused by he people cheering him weeks earlier, the world is improving but far too fucking slowly in regards to racism!

not even german blood but born there and midnight black answers my question :yess

danny.jpg

Black sportsmen are still facing the brunt of many racist actions, comments or slurs across Europe in Football unfortunately and the governing bodies usually under play this type of shit And only hand out small fines to the clubs, it seems the UK is the leader in trying to eradicate this from the sport, but as improved as it is we stil have incidents!

Black sportsmen are still facing the brunt of many racist actions, comments or slurs across Europe in Football unfortunately and the governing bodies usually under play this type of shit And only hand out small fines to the clubs, it seems the UK is the leader in trying to eradicate this from the sport, but as improved as it is we stil have incidents!

just think it sucks he has to be considered German having no German blood, I am sure the Nazis more then agree.

Germany must not be 2 bad if his parents chose to migrate there and raise kids, racism is everywhere he could be called a black pig right here at the Meadowlands

just think it sucks he has to be considered German having no German blood, I am sure the Nazis more then agree.

Germany must not be 2 bad if his parents chose to migrate there and raise kids, racism is everywhere he could be called a black pig right here at the Meadowlands

Germany is definitely not the country it was 60 years ago, is that how they are viewed in the states?

• 3 weeks later...