Golovkin-Macklin a done deal

Mofo2

Matthew Macklin will take part in his third world title challenge when he takes on Gennady Golovkin in Connecticut on June 29.The fight, which was confirmed on Thursday, will see the dangerous, unbeaten Golovkin put his WBA and IBO middleweight titles on the line against the tough Briton.

Macklin's stock rose despite defeats to Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez and represents Golovkin's toughest test to date. Nonetheless, the Kazakh bomber will enter the fight a heavy favourite after blowing away 23 of his 26 opponents inside the distance. His reputation has meant the big fights have eluded him but former British and European champion Macklin has never been afraid to go in at the deep end.

"He's destroyed pretty much everyone and, as a consequence, he's probably the most hyped-fighter in the sport," said Macklin, who initially indicated he wanted to take a warm-up fight before facing Golovkin. People have made him out to be a monster but he bleeds red just like everybody else. When you compare my last three opponents to his it's clear who the proven entity is."

• WBF OG

i agree that its a decent fight. the middleweight division aint exactly loaded with legit guys. macklin is easily top ten and if golovkin smashes him more impressively than martinez did it will say something.

he beat felix sturm & gave sergio a copmpetive fight. it's a decent fight for ggg against a top 10 middleweight.

You are right for sure, Macklin is a a quality fighter he is just a couple of yards short of being a World Champion!

you guys shit on Gennady who does nothing but win yet macklin loses and hes this great fighter

GGG will whip this journeymans ass Macklin isn't in the same league , except on this board

no you have just returned, this board in general finds GGG vastly overrated.... I like the intrigue he brings , it seems his WHOLE life he only wins, here Macklin is given more credit for losing his bouts of relevance

he has been compared to Keith Thurman on this board , I don't see it