Bob Arum proposes Nonito Donaire to fight Juan Manuel Lopez in Puerto Rico

blackrican23

166550173.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Despite having lost his junior featherweight title this past Saturday following a disappointing performance against crafty Guillermo Rigondeaux, plans are already being drawn up for Donaire's comeback opponent. Adding in the fact that Donaire is also set to have surgery on his right shoulder, these plans would certainly seem subject to change. Nevertheless, Boxing Scene is reporting that Top Rank head man Bob Arum is already discussing who Donaire will fight when the Filipino slugger eventually does make his return to the ring.

The man Arum mentioned to take on a returning Donaire in the fall is none other than Juan Manuel Lopez. Lopez is a human highlight reel; always coming forward and ever hurt. In other words, Donaire will not have to look far to find him like he did for Rigondeaux. Lopez will be in his face, and Arum knows that which is surely why he is considering this fight.

Here is what Arum had to say, via Boxing Scene:

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told Boxing Scene/Manila Standard and ABS-CBN that Donaire "really struggled to make the weight and I think that took a little zip out of him and this kid Rigondeaux was awfully fast and awfully elusive."

Arum told (Boxing Scene) Donaire would "fight Lopez at 126 pounds in Puerto Rico towards the end of the year."

Arum also makes brief mention that the scheduling of the fight would depend on how well the operation goes. Donaire and his wife are also expecting their first child, and had planned to take a little break regardless.

Personally, I like the proposed matchup. I think it would be a slugfest while it lasted. I don't know how excited Donaire would be about going to face Lopez in Puerto Rico, but it would sure be a lively arena to say the least. One issue with the fight could be that Lopez has stated his desire to move up in weight. Earlier this year he discussed wanting to fight Mikey Garcia, but only if it took place at a 128 catchweight. I have my doubts about Lopez being able to make 126, and being fully functional if he does.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/4/15/4227458/bob-arum-says-nonito-donaire-will-fight-juan-manuel-lopez-puerto-rico-hbo-boxing-news