MLB upset with Carl Crawford

blackrican23

mlb_g_crawfordspikes_600.jpg

LOS ANGELES -- Carl Crawford got a lot of supportive texts and phone calls after he wore mismatched Jackie Robinson commemorative cleats in Monday night's game, but Major League Baseball was not among the well-wishers.

The Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder said his agent received a call from the league office instructing him not to wear either the blue or white special edition Nike Jordan PEs in a game again. Crawford got the idea to wear one blue shoe and one white shoe after seeing on the clubhouse TV that Jimmy Rollins had changed shoes between his at-bats Monday night.

"I was like, 'OK, he had a little fun with it, so let me have fun with it,' " Crawford said. "The league doesn't want us to have any fun, I guess."

It's likely a fine will be forthcoming, though Crawford said he hasn't been told about one. The league fined San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson $1,000 in 2010 for wearing bright orange shoes in the All-Star Game.

Rollins, Crawford and CC Sabathia all received Jordan PEs with the No. 42 on the back for Monday's commemoration of the 66th anniversary of Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier. Crawford was the only player who wore one of each.

"They were a little crazy," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "He had a good comment, though. He said, 'If you're going to wear those shoes, you've got to get some hits.' "

Crawford, batting .396 in his first season with the Dodgers, went 3-for-5 Monday night. He was wearing conforming blue cleats for batting practice Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9180349/mlb-upset-carl-crawford-los-angeles-dodgers-wearing-mismatched-jackie-robinson-commemorative-cleats