Maccarinelli targets McKenzie rematch, then Cleverley

Mofo2

Former WBO cruiserweight champ Enzo Maccarinelli, boxing as a light-heavyweight, won a stay-busy affair on last night’s Wembley card. Stopping Carl Wild with a hard body shot in the 6th and final round, Maccarinelli improved to 36-6(28). The 32-year-old then called for a big all-Welsh showdown with reigning WBO 175-pound ruler Nathan Cleverly, who won a wide 12-round decision over Robin Krasniqi in last night’s main event.

Maccarinelli, who was to have fought Ovill McKenzie (who pulled out injured) in a return of the controversial 2nd-round TKO stoppage loss he suffered last November, told Wales Online that he still wants to avenge what he and many others feel was a very premature stoppage – before taking on the unbeaten Cleverly.

“If I can get McKenzie out of the way and make a statement in that fight, then I’m sure the Welsh public would want to see it,†Maccarinelli said of his hoped for fight with Cleverly.

“Nathan’s an old team-mate, and I’m chuffed with what he’s doing. I haven’t got a problem with him, I’ve got a problem with his dad (father/trainer Vince Cleverly) who doesn’t like me. I don’t know if that rubs off on Nathan but, let’s be honest, everyone knows I will give him a harder fight than he’s ever had before.â€

That final statement is not likely to be one Cleverly or his fans will agree with, still Macacrinelli perhaps cannot be blamed for wanting one more big fight before his exciting, up and down career finally comes to a close.

But will Cleverly be interested in facing Maccarinelli, even if Enzo can avenge that loss to McKenzie?

Source: Fightnews.com