Groves targets WBO champion Stieglitz

Mofo2

George Groves has targeted a showdown against WBO champion Robert Stieglitz later in the year - and believes he is the right man able to take down the German. The Hammersmith-born super-middleweight beat Dario German Balmaceda and Baker Barakat by technical knockouts in March, and on Monday it was confirmed he will face Noe Gonzalez Alcoba on the same night as Carl Froch against Mikkel Kessler on May 25 at London's O2 Arena.

And the 25-year-old feels his next fight will prepare him for a potential bout with Stieglitz.

"He's been in with good company and he's got a big KO record so it will be an explosive fight," Groves told Sky Sports News on the encounter with Uruguayan Alcoba - who has secured 22 knockouts in 30 wins. "He's a bit of a banger so I'll have to be on my toes. But I feel that I'm right on track for a world title shot now and there's no margin for error."

Groves feels he is the boxer able to defeat Stieglitz, not Arthur Abraham who Stieglitz last fought. "I don't think there's any mileage in an immediate rematch between Abraham-Stieglitz, maybe down the line but I think they're sick of the sight of each other I imagine, so hopefully it's time for someone like me to get a crack at the belt," he said.

"A stoppage loss for Abraham takes a lot of getting over at this stage of his career and his eye was a mess too, so I don't think he'll be the man to fight Robert, I think I am though and that's a fight I really want. A world title fight in London in September would be a dream come true and it's not unrealistic to think it will happen. I'd love for [promoter] Eddie Hearn to get a world champion over to London and we do a big show in the capital, but I've shown I am happy to box overseas and I would happily do so again for a world title."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/203728.html#GoUb4xyPPo7JJ4SG.99

• Members

I like this fight, these two are pretty similar in style and size. Both throw a lot and have very good stamina. Its gonna be a WAR! :box