Dawson Vows To Turn Stevenson Back, Eyes Bute-Pascal

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

Former WBC/IBF light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (31-2) is slated to face dangerous puncher Adonis Stevenson (20-1) on June 8th in Montreal at the Bell Centre.  The two fighters exchanged words at their recent press conference to announce the fight.  I asked the 30-year-old American for his thoughts on facing Stevenson.

"It is going to be a good fight.  He is coming up to light heavweight.  I am excited just because I get to go back out and show everybody that I didn't lose a step and I am going to show that Chad Dawson is the best light heavyweight in the world.  Me moving down to 168 pounds threw me off my game but I am ready for whatever," Dawson stated.

Dawson was referring to his last outing in which he was stopped by WBC/WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward this past September.  Dawson moved down to 168 pounds for the fight and was clearly affected by the weight loss.  The Connecticut native has also reenlisted the services of world class trainer Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.

"I am feeling a lot better.  What I did was right after the fight I got right back in the gym.  I didn't take no time off and I back with Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.  He still thinks I am the best and I think I am the best so that is a good combination," Dawson told Boxingscene.com.

The original plan was for Dawson to face Jean Pascal in a rematch of their 2011 fight in which Pascal won via technical decision.  Dawson was coming on late in the fight before the doctor stopped it in the 11th round due to a cut Dawson had received from an accidental headbutt.  Dawson said that he understands why Pascal opted to face Pascal instead of the rematch and also said that he is definitely interested in facing the winner.

"It was a business move.  I can't knock that.  It's a business move. Him and Bute up in Canada is a  big fight and they are a big draw and will be a sellout so I can't knock him for that but my whole thing is what happens if Bute beats him?  Then I think our rematch would out the window again.  Regardless I am going to look good on June 8th.  I am going to be myself.  I am going to be flashy and my hand speed will be back. Those are the things that I am working on.  Whatever happens with Pascal-Bute, I would love to get the winner of that (fight)," Dawson revealed.

• Members

Good to hear Chad is back with Eddie Mustafa. He was the best trainer for him, it seems. But this fight shouldn't be taken lightly by him. Its a potentially dangerous opponent. Still, he is a clear favorite.