'Paulette' Malignaggi sees easy time vs. Broner

blackrican23

malignaggi_vs_cano_5_20121021_1482017945

BROOKLYN -- WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi said he is expecting "the easiest fight" he could have been offered against rising WBC lightweight titleholder Adrien "The Problem" Broner, whom he will face on June 22 at Barclays Center on Showtime.

"I have told several people this and they thought that I was crazy," said Malignaggi (32-4, 7 knockouts), a 32-year-old winner of five straight bouts. "The media likes to think that they know a little bit more than everybody else, for the most part, but essentially, out of all of the fights that they could have offered me when they came with this -- it could have been Marcos Maidana or it could have been Andre Berto (or) Shane Mosley. Those are physically demanding fights. They're welterweights. They're physical guys. Broner's not one of those guys. So out of all the guys that they've offered me, I think this is the easiest fight, and it just happens to pay more, too. So it's a double-bonus in one."

Malignaggi spoke to RingTV.com on Thursday at Barclays Center while in attendance at the final press conference for Saturday night's Showtime-televised matchup between RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champ Danny Garcia and ex-titleholder Zab Judah.

"This fight was the main motivation for winning my second world championship last year," said Malignaggi, in a release from promoter Golden Boy. "I wanted to be in a huge main event at Barclays Center. This is a blockbuster event and I can't wait to make a successful title defense in Brooklyn where my roots are."

broner_vs_rees_8_20130216_1976363514.jpg

Broner (26-0, 22 KOs) has been training recently with IBF junior welterweight beltholder Lamont Peterson, who will make his second defense against THE RING's No. 1-rated 140-pounder Lucas Matthysse on May 18 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on Showtime.

"Paulette better be in some shape," said Broner, who will skip the 140-pound class in pursuit of his seventh straight stoppage victory against Malignaggi. "On June 22, I will be a three-time world champion in three weight classes at just 23 years old."

Malignaggi's retort?

"Last time that I checked, you know, Adrien is a girl's name. He's sitting here calling me Paulette, but he's got to feminize my name. But Adrien is already girl's name," said Malignaggi.

"That was Rocky's wife, so it's a very famous girl's name. So, I don't gotta feminize anything. He's got a girl's name to begin with. His mother must have thought that he was a b--ch when he was born."

The Broner-Malignaggi undercard will feature heavyweight Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell (25-1-1, 19 KOs), of Brandywine, Md., in a rematch with Johnathon Banks (29-1-1, 19 KOs).

"I feel very good about this fight. I expect a more determined and a more powerful Seth Mitchell for the rematch," said Banks, who stopped Mitchell in the second-round in November.

"I look forward to the challenge on June 22.  I'm excited to be fighting and intend to put on a terrific performance for those in attendance at Barclays Center as well as those watching on Showtime."

Mitchell's Feburary return bout with Banks was canceled after Banks suffered a broken right thumb.

"I'm excited about my opportunity to rematch Johnathon Banks on June 22 at Barclays Center. I was disappointed with my last performance against him, and look forward to meeting him in the ring once again," said Mitchell, who, like Banks, is 30.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/178501-malignaggi-eyes-easiest-time-vs-broner-who-calls-him-paulette

Paulie Paulie, I hope the boxing gods bless you with a miraculous victory against Boner, I unfortunately will have to favor the major under dog Paulie just because I guess :whiteflag