Claressa Shields Pro Debut

LMWBXR

• Members

r118059_800x450_16-9.jpg

"Claressa Shields, the two-time U.S. Olympic middleweight gold medalist and the No. 1 amateur women's boxer in the world, is going pro.  Shields, a 21-year-old from Flint, Michigan, will make her professional debut on Nov. 19 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on the undercard of the HBO PPV fight between unified light heavyweight titleholder Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward, organizers announced on Tuesday.  Shields will face an opponent to be determined in a four-round super middleweight bout. She won her gold medals at 165 pounds, but her pro debut is contracted at the professional super middleweight limit of 168 pounds." (http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/17886412/claressa-shields-21-going-pro-las-vegas-undercard)

Who will they find to face her that is the question?  Someone from out of the USA maybe?  I am super excited about this fight but I am curious where they will find the talent pool to face her.  I think that there are women out there coming up and gaining experience that could face her at a later time but until then she is going to go through everyone they put in front of her and she will have a secure place at the top. This will also bring more attention to women's boxing as Shields skill level surpasses many televised undercards regularly shown on USA tv. 

Props to Roc Nation for putting another female bout on the card. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mofo2 said:

how good is she???? dunno anything about her!!

"Claressa Shields, the two-time U.S. Olympic middleweight gold medalist and the No. 1 amateur women's boxer in the world

did you miss that line upon first read mate?

• Upvote 1

• Members

LOL @blackrican23   :madlol   This shows how little is published about the women's US boxing team.  Just like the men they are active all year at camps, nationals, and international tournaments.  

So since women's boxing has only been in the olympics twice they have only had 3 weight classes. 

flyweight, 106 to 112 pounds (48 to 51 kg)

lightweight, 123 to 132 pounds (56 to 60 k

middleweight, 152 to 165 pounds (69 to 75 kg)

Because of this a large amount of the girls vying for spots many opted for the 123-132 weight class with a few going up or down.  Shields stayed at the 165 weight class throughout both olympic cycles.  In the regular world of amateur boxing there are not many females at that weight.  That is why I have always fought between 130-140 and why I am not going to get matched until i get back to at least 140lb.  At the international level they seem to have more options there.   In the pros I can think of some welterweights and girls in the 140's but not so many middleweights.  The fight is scheduled, so someone is set to fight her.     Here is a link to part of her record:  http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Claressa_Shields

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LMWBXR said:

Props to Roc Nation for putting another female bout on the card. 

Roc should venture over to MMA and she's perfect to help them succeed , LMWBXR  do yo know how many pro women boxers even compete above 160? even in MMA dont think many women compete that high , Claressa might need to lose weight 

1 hour ago, LMWBXR said:

LOL @blackrican23   :madlol   This shows how little is published about the women's US boxing team.  Just like the men they are active all year at camps, nationals, and international tournaments.  

So since women's boxing has only been in the olympics twice they have only had 3 weight classes. 

flyweight, 106 to 112 pounds (48 to 51 kg)

lightweight, 123 to 132 pounds (56 to 60 k

middleweight, 152 to 165 pounds (69 to 75 kg)

Because of this a large amount of the girls vying for spots opted for the 123-132 weight class with a few going up or down.  Shields stayed at the 165 weight class throughout both olympic cycles.  In the regular world of amateur boxing there are not many females at that weight.  That is why I have always fought between 130-140 and why I am not going to get matched until i get back to at least 140lb.  At the international level they seem to have more options there.   In the pros I can think of some welterweights and girls in the 140's but not so many middleweights.  The fight is scheduled, so someone is set to fight her.     Here is a link to part of her record:  http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Claressa_Shields

LOL you answered my question before I could ask

• Members

Here is a link to Claressa's final fight for the 2016 olympic qualifier.  The girl she is fighting is scrappy but not on the same level.  The Canadian is part of a documentary on Canadian Female Boxers called  "Last Woman Standing"  which was really cool to watch.   Claressa has skill, speed and a mean right hand. 

They have a major task ahead of them finding a "worthy" opponent for her at that weight. That is a lot of LBS for the women's pro division. And if they do find a female pro boxer that matches the calling she will most likely not be a fit in shape at 160+ and then just be a human punching bag.

I suggest they contact Ann Wolfe and offer her a whole lot of money to come back. 

16 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

"Claressa Shields, the two-time U.S. Olympic middleweight gold medalist and the No. 1 amateur women's boxer in the world

did you miss that line upon first read mate?

Yeah but how good is she for real...all that means fuck all tbh there are perhaps only one or two in each division that are actually quality, she might merely be the best out oif a bad bunch!!

16 hours ago, LMWBXR said:

Her current record is 74-1 in the amateurs facing international opponents.  We will have to see how it goes down :-) 

The reason I asked is that Olympic success can come to nothing...we had Audley Harrison who supposedly the next great thing :pms

her fight vid is posted mate give it a look and tell me what you think of her skill set , I will share mine after yours  :evilgrin In fairness to Fraudley its a lot tougher to be the next big thing in men's heavyweight boxing than any women's division

• Members

They have been in the ring together before;  It is being put out as an on going rivalry kind of thing;  (crappy video quality but here is their last fight in 2014 )

She looks no better than ok in this fight, footwork is neat, looks as though she carries no more than reasonable power and has pretty quick hands.

However if you are throwing your jabs from the waist it is insane to have your right hand so much lower than shoulder height like she has and if you are throwing straight rights you have to turn the punch over to get the power through fully, she almost looks as though she slaps tbh

5 hours ago, Mofo2 said:

She looks no better than ok in this fight, footwork is neat, looks as though she carries no more than reasonable power and has pretty quick hands.

However if you are throwing your jabs from the waist it is insane to have your right hand so much lower than shoulder height like she has and if you are throwing straight rights you have to turn the punch over to get the power through fully, she almost looks as though she slaps tbh

yup I noticed same thing