McGregor granted boxing licence

GRIM

The 28-year-old UFC lightweight champion has made his first serious move toward a proposed superfight against boxing immortal Floyd Mayweather by obtaining a boxing licence to fight in California on Thursday.

McGregor’s manager Audie A. Attar confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani. ESPN.com’s Brett Okamoto later confirmed it with the California State Athletic Commission, before CSAC executive officer Andy Foster told MMAFighting.com: “(McGregor) got a licence today and a federal ID. He’s a California boxer now.”

“I’d love to see him fight in California,” added Foster. “It just needs to be the right opponent. Certainly a high-level opponent.”

Whether that means Mayweather remains to be seen. The five-division world champion fought exclusively in Las Vegas, in the state of Nevada, during the final 10 years of his career, and has been retired for more than 14 months.

But Fox Sports US reports McGregor could follow the Californian licence approval with applications for licences to box in states such as New York, Nevada and Texas — regular destinations for the biggest boxing events in the United States.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, boxingworld said:

Yes ! Mcgregor has  been granted a boxing licence in California and It's possible match-up with Floyd Merryweather....

Enough of the Mayweather McGregor fight talk the shit is not going to happen, silly internet rumors. take a good read>>>>

CALIFORNIA OFFICIAL WOULDN’T ALLOW CONOR VS. FLOYD IN DEBUT

Conor McGregor may have obtained a boxing license from the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday, which only involves plucking down $60 and filling out paperwork.

But Andy Foster, executive officer of the California commission poured cold water on the idea of a match-up between the flamboyant UFC champion and former five-division titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. in McGregor’s boxing debut. Foster couldn’t in good conscience sign off on that match, given McGregor’s inexperience as a boxer.

“I wouldn’t,” Foster told RingTV.com on Thursday on whether he would allow McGregor to face Mayweather in his first boxing match. “Because I would have to see where he’s at. I’m not saying that fight couldn’t be licensed in the future but I would need to see — and I think the world would need to see — where Mr. McGregor’s skills are at in boxing.” Added Foster, “He’s no Lomachenko,” a reference to the incredibly talented Vasyl Lomachenko, who fought for a title in just his second pro fight.

Source: RingTV