Teenager is fighting for her right to box while wearing a hijab

Mofo2

• Members

I am a pastafarian, which means that I should be allowed to wear my metal pasta strainer (religious head covering) in a boxing match. If you disagree, then I don't care! Your rules are meant to be broken to appease my religious beliefs!

• Upvote 1

Haha my thoughts exactly; why the fuck should dispensation be given because she doesn't want to show her hair....fucking absurd!!

• Upvote 1

• Members
27 minutes ago, JoshB said:

If the hijab is under her headgear than just let her wear the damn thing I say. Who cares.

Couldn't disagree more. If that is the case,I don't want to have to shave when I box! Also, it isn't her right... If they allowed her to do so, then it would be her privilege...

Rules and religions conflict at times. I knew a ammy boxer who had turned Muslim and had to grow a full beard, he had a fight and the USA Boxing rules states all male athletes hell females also must be clean shaven ::pms well due to his religion he would/could not shave his beard, he pleaded with the officials to allow him to compete and provide an exception due to his religion.

Obviously he did not compete that day! 

• Upvote 1

• Members
On 4/18/2017 at 4:48 AM, JoshB said:

As long as it's not affecting the fight in anyway it doesn't really matter imo. If it was distracting, in the fighters way or affecting the the bout I'd say remove it but it doesn't look to be at all.

I want to keep my beard then.

• 1 month later...

Medical student becomes first woman in Texas to wear a hijab in USA Boxing competition

Since USA Boxing dropped its religious headgear ban in April, the sport’s doors have opened to many Muslim women who want to enter the ring and make history.

Last weekend, Madeeha Mian was one of the first pioneers in the sport as she became the first athlete in Texas to ever wear a hijab during a USA Boxing sanctioned fight, KBTX-TV reported on Tuesday. Mian competed in the Texas Women’s Boxing Championship by Gulf Women of Strength at College Station.

The medical student from Texas A&M had only picked up the sport nine months ago, but she has always been drawn to the sport from watching her brother fight in elite competitions.

USA Boxing’s revised rules will not be in effect until June, but the tournament allowed Mian to fight with a religious exemption.

“Doctors haven’t seen any reason why they shouldn’t wear it,” Michael Campbell, the President of Gulf Boxing Association, told KBTX-TV.

“I think boxing mimics society and as society changes and evolves boxing is going to follow it as well and make rule changes that accommodate its athletes.”