Smith: Dirrell title fight will go ahead despite DQ scuffles

Mofo2

Callum Smith is confident his world title fight with Anthony Dirrell will go ahead despite his opponent's involvement in the scuffles following his brother's DQ win over Jose Uzcategui. Andre Dirrell was awarded victory over Uzcategui by disqualification after the Venezuelan was judged to have landed a knockout punch after the bell at the end of the eighth round on May 20.

Dirrell's uncle and trainer Leon Lawson then sucker punched Uzcategui in the ring, for which he has since been charged with two counts of assault. There was then a lot of pushing and shoving in the ring with former WBC super-middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell, 32, involved. While calling for Lawson to receive a life-time ban, Smith (22-0, 17 KOs) hopes his fight with Anthony Dirrell (30-1-1, 24 KOs) is not postponed and expects them to meet for the vacant WBC world super-middleweight title in California on Sep. 9.

"There's no place for that in boxing and he [Lawson] should get a lifetime ban," Smith told ESPN.

"I didn't see Anthony Dirrell involved at the time, but then people got in touch with me after and said he was and were asking if the fight was off. It's not acceptable really, there was lot of commotion afterwards and he got involved in the pushing and shoving.

"But it's not effected my fight from what I've heard and no news is good news. I wouldn't want it postponed after what happened. I've waited long enough for this fight, I thought it was going to be this month, but now it's on and I don't want it put off any longer."

Smith, who last fought in October, says is looking forward to facing American Dirrell in California.

"The contract says it will take place in LA and I think it could be at the StubHub Center in Carson," Smith told ESPN.

sounds like thats the first fight of Dirrells you ve watched not surprising , go back and search for him 7-8 years ago when the damage began and get back to us 

meh AA damaged him enough where he should have never fought again according to doctors , this ko was clean can be disputed if it was after the bell not like bell sounded and he dropped his hands , he was getting battered thru the bout !!!