Andre Ward Stops Sergey Kovalev in Eight To Retain Belts

blackrican23

LAS VEGAS – Andre Ward stopped Sergey Kovalev on Saturday night, but his second victory over Kovalev didn’t come without controversy, either.

Kovalev was hurt in the eighth round, but referee Tony Weeks stopped their light heavyweight championship rematch without counting after Kovalev sat on the ropes following a series of borderline body blows by Ward. Weeks’ questionable stoppage came at 2:29 of the eighth round, nearly seven months after Ward defeated Kovalev by a unanimous decision that was widely considered controversial.

http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-ward-stops-sergey-kovalev-eight-retain-belts--117657?print_friendly=1

NSAC’s Bob Bennett says the commission is backing referee Tony Weeks’ call, and it doesn’t sound like there’s any intention to give it much more attention, even after the fuming done by Sergey Kovalev’s promoter, Kathy Duva:

“In all fairness to Kathy, she’s upset. It’s her fighter. I felt we had it right the first time. And I thought Tony did a great job this time. ... It’s rather interesting at the end that when Ward hits him in the stomach at the end, he sat on the ropes. And the punch looked good. Weeks was in good position to see where those blows landed and they’re right on the belt line. Are they close? Sure. But do they look good? Yeah. Did he have one or two low blows where Tony told him to keep them up? You could argue that he did. But at the same time you could argue that Kovalev put Ward in numerous headlocks and Tony had to reprimand both of them. I think the stoppage was good.”

Duva has said she plans to file a protest with the commission, but the referee is the sole arbitrator here. In other words, it’s about 99% certain that the call stands as is, despite any complaints from Kovalev, Duva, or anyone else.