Matchroom dismiss Carl Frampton rumours

Mofo2

Social media was awash with rumours last night that Belfast’s Carl Frampton is set to return to Matchroom and Eddie Hearn.

The Tigers Bay featherweight was claimed to have signed a five-fight deal with the English promotional giant, ending his association with Cyclone Promotions, and a press conference for today was even rumoured.

The source of the talk seemingly came from two well known Twitter users that could be described as being ‘joke,’ ‘parody,’ or ‘troll’ accounts.

However, the rumours took hold and, coupled with the fact that Frampton resigned from his directorship with Cyclone on July 21st, many believe that the two-weight world champ is on the cusp of leaving the outfit he has fought with his entire professional career.

However, Matchroom have com

However, Matchroom have come out to quash talk that ‘The Jackal’ will be signing with them.

A spokesperson for Matchroom confirmed to Andy Watters of The Irish News that the rumours regarding Frampton’s move to them is “nonsense.”

Under Matchroom Frampton claimed the European title, but promotional disagreements between manager Barry McGuigan and Eddie Hearn led to a parting of ways in the Summer of 2013.

Since then Frampton [23(14)-1(0)] has won and unified the IBF and WBA world titles at super bantamweight and won and lost the WBA featherweight title, fighting on BoxNation, ITV, CBS, Sky Box Office, and Showtime, and was also the consensus 2016 Fighter of the Year.

The 30 year old was due to fight Mexicant Andres Gutierrez on Saturday, live on Channel 5, in a Belfast homecoming at the SSE Odyssey Arena. However a freak shower accident suffered by Gutierrez left him unable to fight and forced the entire card to be cancelled.

This, along with Frampton missing weight earlier that day, and the subsequent emergence of his resignation as a Cyclone director, has led to widespread conspiracy theories. At this present moment though there is nothing substantiated and it must be stressed that Carl Frampton is not signing with Matchroom Boxing.

I smell a massive rodent here. Slipped in the shower FFS? Something like Haye would come up with. Dont they have bath-mats in 5* hotels any more? And yes I've seen the photo taken from 2in away with the world's best camera to make it look like he's been in a downtown knife fight.

I still say the Gutierrez fight dont get remade.

If Frampton cant't make the weight there is little point fighting Russell Jr if you're weight-drained.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, selij said:

I smell a massive rodent here. Slipped in the shower FFS? Something like Haye would come up with. Dont they have bath-mats in 5* hotels any more? And yes I've seen the photo taken from 2in away with the world's best camera to make it look like he's been in a downtown knife fight.

I still say the Gutierrez fight dont get remade.

If Frampton cant't make the weight there is little point fighting Russell Jr if you're weight-drained.

Haye was out of the game for nearly 3 years with one injury, had a 4 inch gash over his eye in training before one fight and has had surgery to repair a damaged achilles tendon; your point is???? :coffee

Toe-Gate springs to mind as his poxy excuse for losing to Klitschko. Instead of just admitting the better man won.

So does the fictitious shoulder injury that he supposedly travelled to Germany for surgery for as his SECOND excuse for cancelling the Fury fight. There was no mention of a shoulder being so badly injured it needed rebuilding when he ducked out of the fight for the first time a week before the fight with a cut over the eye received in a carpark brawl outside the gym.

• Upvote 1