Mayweather Agrees To Let McGregor Use 8-Ounce Gloves

blackrican23

Former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26 KOs) has agreed to a rule change - which allows UFC superstar Conor McGregor to wear 8-ounce gloves.

The two fighters are set to collide at the junior middleweight limit of 154-pounds.

McGregor claimed in several interviews that Mayweather intentionally wanted the junior middleweight limit, because 10-ounce gloves are used above the welterweight class.

However, smaller gloves can be used if both fighters sign off on that stipulation - and receive special permission from the Nevada State Athletic Commission - which is unlikely to happen.

Mayweather is also going to allow McGregor to wear a glove brand of his choice - squashing rumors that he was forcing McGregor to wear a particular brand of glove.

The fight takes place on August 26th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Mayweather, 40 years old, returns for the first time after announcing his retirement back in September 2015 after a dominating performance over Andre Berto.

McGregor, 28 years old and the biggest name in mixed martial arts, is taking part in his first ever boxing match. He is currently training hard in camp, with two division champion Paulie Malignaggi being used as a sparring partner. In sparring, 14 ounce gloves are used and Malignaggi has revealed that McGregor has some pop in his shots. The bigger question is whether or not McGregor can land any of his big shots against Mayweather, who is widely recognized as one of the best defensive fighters in the history of the sport.

"Don't believe what you hear in the media. Don't believe what you hear on blog sites. If it's not coming directly from me, then it's not true. I'm telling McGregor, 'Let's fight in 8 oz gloves.' McGregor can fight in any brand he prefers or chooses. I'll be wearing 8 oz Grant gloves. Whatever advantage McGregor needs to feel more comfortable in the ring, I'm willing to accommodate. Let's give the boxing and MMA fans what they want to see," Mayweather stated.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-agrees-let-mcgregor-use-8-ounce-gloves--119083?print_friendly=1