Joshua gives Wladimir Klitschko deadline for heavyweight rematch

Mofo2

If the 41-year-old Ukrainian does decide to retire instead of one final shot at regaining the WBA and IBF titles he lost to Tyson Fury two years ago, Joshua will be left to fight his mandatory challenger for the straps, Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev.

“I hope we can put a seal on it before the end of the month,” Joshua said. “If we fought November 11, starting August 22 is a three-month camp, so towards the end of the month, one way or the other (I'm expecting to know), because I've got to crack on.

Joshua stopped Klitschko in the 11th round at Wembley (Getty)

“It was just fun, it was just entertaining. I'd do it again, definitely. And going to Vegas opens the door for the (WBC champion Deontay) Wilder fight.

“(Klitschko's) not going to top what he's already done but for 10 years people said he was boring because he was so dominant, but he got a lot of respect in defeat, so that should give him a real motivation (for a rematch).

“He's got another chance to do it. I'd do it if I was him.”

2 hours ago, GRIM said:

What :? I thought the rematch was a done deal mofo :? 

I think just about everyone thought it was G, it was just signing the contract, but it appears Wlad is stalling :quote

Wladimir Klitschko has retired from boxing, ending any hopes of a rematch with Anthony Joshua in Las Vegas.

Joshua defeated Klitschko at Wembley in April in a thrilling fight where both men were knocked down before the 27-year-old KO'd his opponent in the penultimate round. The victory allowed Joshua to unify the WBA, IBO, IBF world titles.

The rematch was due on November 11, but Klitschko ended any chance of that fight going ahead with his decision. A statement was was posted on his website, that subsequently crashed due to the volume of traffic.

Klitschko ends an incredible 27-year career as a fighter.

The right decision for him, but I wonder if he will regret not taking the rematch - the fight was pretty close throughout!