Mosley hangs em up

GRIM

SUGAR SHANE MOSLEY ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

BY TOM GRAY

Former three-weight world champion Sugar Shane Mosley has announced his retirement from boxing.

The 45-year-old veteran told ESPN that his body will no longer allow him to properly prepare for a prizefight and that he has been forced to accept the inevitable following a decorated 24-year professional career.

“What happened was my arm is breaking down, my knees, shoulders,” said Mosley. “My back is starting to break down. My body is telling me I’m older and I can’t do it at 100 percent. I can’t see myself fighting again. I’d have to say I’m retired.”

Mosley (49-10-1, 41 knockouts) was a devastating talent. The Pomona, California, native won his first 23 bouts, 22 inside the distance, before challenging Phillip Holiday for the IBF lightweight title in August 1997. He prevailed via 12-round unanimous decision and knocked out eight consecutive challengers in less than 18 months.

However, it was Mosley’s ascent into the welterweight ranks that confirmed his standing as one of the finest fighters in the world. The dynamic boxer-puncher skipped 140 pounds and dominated two welterweight contenders before taking on California rival Oscar De La Hoya in Los Angles in June 2000.