Hearn: DeGale's reign as champion a 'shambles'

Mofo2

Eddie Hearn has branded James DeGale's tenure as world champion as a "shambles" and believes any comeback will be dependent on the his desire to fight again .

DeGale, 31, lost his IBF super-middleweight world title on Saturday after he suffered a shock defeat at the hands of American Caleb Truax.

When questioned about DeGale's loss, Hearn voiced his disappointment at the news but criticised the Brit for some his career choices, especially his decision to operate without a promoter as a free agent.

"Let me tell you what happens when you are a free agent: nobody gives a f--- about you," Hearn told iFL TV. "I'm not talking about the public, I'm talking about in the business.

"You want to go into a fight in a voluntary defence and not have a rematch clause? What are you playing at? Who's responsible for that? You know why? Because he doesn't have a promoter.

"It's been a shambles since he won that world title."

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id/21747557/eddie-hearn-brands-james-degale-world-champion-reign-shambles

17 hours ago, JosueB said:

People were saying Truax was disadvantaged because he had only four weeks to prepare for this fight but Degale was actually the one who was unprepared.

He gambled on this being an easy defence & lost. Great win for Truax, that guy paid his dues & deserves some good in his career.

Quality performance by Truax I agree, but as you say Degale gambled when he wasnt fully fit and it came back to bite him on the ass - he certainly looks a clown now!