Jaime Munguia Does Not Expect Liam Smith To Last Very Long

JosueB

• WBF OG

By Miguel Rivera

Jaime Munguia will be ready for whatever mandatory challenger Liam Smith brings to the table on July 21 at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, but he has a hunch that his first defense of the WBO junior middleweight title will not last long - and not because he's overconfident, but because the styles of both indicate it.

Two weeks to go before their expected fight, Munguia says he is in great shape and increasingly motivated to work with Roberto Alcazar in California, with whom he trained with for only a few weeks when he dethroned Saddam Ali on May 12.

"I have a hunch that the fight will not last long," Munguia said ESPN Deportes. "We are preparing with everything and we will be ready for anything, the idea is to win round by round and always to set our fight rhythm, but I feel that because of his style and mine - people are not going to see a long fight, and I'm sure it's going to end in my favor."

Munguia expressed his confidence in confirming his quality against an opponent who is already known on American soil and who was last seen competing with Canelo Alvarez on HBO Pay-Per-View in 2016.

"We have already studied him, he is a fighter who likes to comes forward. I think his style is going to fit more to mine, people saw very little of me in comparison to Smith and now I hope they see a little more of me," Munguia added.

For now, Munguia has dismissed the recent comments that were made by promoter Oscar de la Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions - who would like to promote Munguia in the United States. The Mexican champion is promoted by Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions.

"Actually I have not heard any of that, but my focus is Liam Smith for now. My promoter is Zanfer and I have to respond to the trust that HBO, Zanfer and Golden Boy have placed in me. I can not think about anything beyond that, my only focus is Liam Smith and we'll get well prepared for this fight, which is important," Munguia said.

The young boxer has a record of 29-0 with 25 knockouts, while Smith has a tally of 26-1-1 and 14 knockouts - with the sole loss coming at the hands of Canelo.

https://www.boxingscene.com/jaime-munguia-not-expect-liam-smith-last-very-long--129791

Liam is one of those fighters that seems to be losing his skillset very quickly and it will end in defeat for him I have no doubt about that; since Canelo the level of his performances have been very average!  

the thread starter was ADAMANT in his assessment after viewing  Munguia ONCE that he is pure garbage and the product of "perfect" match making . the thread starter will SURELY be placing a VERY HEAVY wager on the BEEF since his research is in effect :coffee

• WBF OG

I'm probably betting Munguia by stoppage.

Munguia is a crappy boxer, but he is huge at 154. Size matters. He is a weight bully who wins with his physicality & power...not skill. 

Liam Smith has slow feet & uses a high guard for defence, a lot of catching shots on his gloves. I dont think that's a good thing to rely on when Munguia is teeing off on you.

Jaime is also a hard body puncher which is how Canelo stopped Liam in their fight. So yeah i'm interested in seeing the odds on Munguia tko.

His chin is verified, he took uncle’s best left hook right on the chin “bare fist also” and didn’t even flinch.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GRIM said:

His chin is verified, he took uncle’s best left hook right on the chin “bare fist also” and didn’t even flinch.

Think you got Hi-me confused with Uzcategui G, but its ok all hispanics look alike they say :meh

Just now, blackrican23 said:

Think you got Hi-me confused with Uzcategui G, but its ok all hispanics look alike they say :meh

:crackup

6 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

Yup sure did, my bad :palm 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, mexfighter said:

puerto ricans are similar to dominicans and haitians.

In some ways we are . Jamaicans too , its that Caribbean  ting mon 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, blackrican23 said:

haha that's fucking funny :pms

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, JoshB said:

I'm probably betting Munguia by stoppage.

Munguia is a crappy boxer, but he is huge at 154. Size matters. He is a weight bully who wins with his physicality & power...not skill. 

Liam Smith has slow feet & uses a high guard for defence, a lot of catching shots on his gloves. I dont think that's a good thing to rely on when Munguia is teeing off on you.

Jaime is also a hard body puncher which is how Canelo stopped Liam in their fight. So yeah i'm interested in seeing the odds on Munguia tko.

Of course your a hypocritical puss nothing less expected :lolatyou 

• Downvote 1

• WBF OG

he's a weight bully....he's seen him fight one time for the 154 title and now he knows all about him.

oh wait, he's a youtube ni66a.

Smith beat a boxer called Jason Welborn to win the British title in 2014 and decided - or was badly advised - to bypass any European action and go straight for the jugular. The inevitable happend vs. Ginger. I had him winning the first 3 rounds on Saturday, but the predictions all came true (mine included) and the seemingly defence-less Hi-Me who walks onto an extraordinary amount of punches came thru good. Its onwards and upwards for him but I predict a short career and a Ricky Hatton styled face, unless he can sort his defence out. Another Smith brother fades into the wilderness.

• Upvote 1

• WBF OG
On 7/16/2018 at 1:25 PM, blackrican23 said:

thread starter continues to say Hi-me is skill less :madlol just a big oaf 

Boy this really blew up in your face :rofl

• WBF OG
2 hours ago, selij said:

Smith beat a boxer called Jason Welborn to win the British title in 2014 and decided - or was badly advised - to bypass any European action and go straight for the jugular. The inevitable happend vs. Ginger. I had him winning the first 3 rounds on Saturday, but the predictions all came true (mine included) and the seemingly defence-less Hi-Me who walks onto an extraordinary amount of punches came thru good. Its onwards and upwards for him but I predict a short career and a Ricky Hatton styled face, unless he can sort his defence out. Another Smith brother fades into the wilderness.

I see people mentioned a Brook vs Munguia fight. How do you see that one going?

21 minutes ago, JoshB said:

I see people mentioned a Brook vs Munguia fight. How do you see that one going?

If it happens in the next 3 months Brook takes it. Vastly more experienced and a sharpshooter from different angles. In 18-24mths time I would have expected Hi-Me to have learned a lot more and he takes it.

• WBF OG
10 hours ago, selij said:

If it happens in the next 3 months Brook takes it. Vastly more experienced and a sharpshooter from different angles. In 18-24mths time I would have expected Hi-Me to have learned a lot more and he takes it.

I think it could be similar to the Smith fight with Brook out boxing Munguia early on but not having the power to seriously hurt him which leads to Munguia coming on strong later. Might be a stoppage cause after the two tko losses im not sure Brook is as durable as Liam Smith at this point.

• 8 months later...