Ad Wolgast by Rob Snell

Mofo2

Ad Wolgast

Extremely aggressive, Ad Wolgast rose to the top of the lightweight ranks with little concern for defense and a great ability to take a punch. Tragically, he paid a terrible price for too many blows to the head. Wolgast first saw a pro fight in Petoskey, Michigan. When he didn't have enough money for a ticket, Wolgast told the promoter he was a promising young amateur and found himself being matched with Kid Moore. Wolgast won the fight in a six-round decision -- though Moore outweighed him by 27 pounds.

Wolgast fought his first two years as a pro primarily in Grand Rapids and Milwaukee before moving on to fight in California. There, he knocked out two opponents, but largely fought no-decision bouts. On July 13, 1909, Wolgast, now dubbed the "Michigan Wildcat," met Hall of Famer and lightweight champion Battling Nelson in Los Angeles for a no-decision, non-title fight. The newspaper decision in the bloody brawl went to Wolgast.

On February 22, 1910, Wolgast and Nelson met again in a "distance" title fight scheduled for 45 rounds. Nelson had the advantage in the early round, but by the 40th his vision was so impaired that he took his fighting stance opposite one of the ring posts, and the referee stopped the fight. Wolgast was the new world champion.

Wolgast made his fifth title defense against Mexican Joe Rivers. He managed to force Rivers into accepting as referee Jack Welch, who was known to encourage the wild brawling- style fight that favored Wolgast. Rivers began well, and a discouraged Wolgast nearly did not answer the bell for the 13th, coming out only when his cornerman threatened him with a bottle. Wolgast unleashed a hard left to River's groin, while Rivers smashed him with a right-left combination to the jaw. Both fighters fell, Wolgast on top of Rivers, and Welch started a count on Rivers while helping Wolgast back to his feet. When his count reached 10, Welch raised Wolgast's arm in victory, then hurriedly fled as a mob rushed the ring. Wolgast retained his title in this notorious "double knockout" fight.

His next title defense came against Willie Ritchie on November 28, 1912. Wolgast came out fighting, but in the 16th Ritchie landed a long wild right to the jaw, spinning Wolgast round and nearly sending him down. Braced with one fist on the canvas, Wolgast launched two low blows to Ritchie, and referee Jim Griffen stopped the fight, awarding the victory to Ritchie on a foul.

Wolgast's all-attack fighting style resulted in numerous injuries, including broken arms, hands, and ribs, cauliflowered ears and extensive brain damage. In 1917, Wolgast fought just once and was knocked out in the second round. He fought only one more bout, in 1920, Jack Doyle, a boxing promoter in Vernon, California, was appointed as Wolgast's guardian, and allowed him to "train" for nonexistent fights. By 1927, Wolgast was institutionalized and remained so for the rest of his life.

WOLGAST WINS IN FORTIETH ROUND

His face. battered to a pulp, his eyes closed, his lips cuffed, covered with blood and' staggering- helplessly about the ring, yesterday afternoon Battling Nelson, conquerer of Joe Gans, was saved from a knockout in the fortieth round of his fight with Ad Wolgast when Referee Eddie Smith humanely stopped a most unequal contest. Nelson, game to the last, stood In the center of the , ring and even though he was hardly able to raise his hands. Begged to be allowed to continue. He was led to his corner heartbroken.

In the opposite corner of the ring the new lightweight champion of the world, Ad. Wolgast of Cadillac, Mich was lifted to the shoulders of his trainers amid the cheers of the big crowd.

Nelson Had But One Chance

Only once in. the fight did Nelson have a chance In the twenty-second round when, with a stinging right cross to the jaw, he staggered his opponent. Before the round closed he Dropped Wolgast in the middle of the ring with a similar blow, and three seconds were tolled off before "Wolgast regained his feet.

The crowd prepared to leave the arena, and the word passed from bench to bench that another boy had fallen victim, to the wonderful Dane. But in the next round Wolgast recuperated, and slowly but surely wore Nelson down.

Twelve -rounds from the finish Nelson seemed bewildered and his blows were sent as though he had weights in his hands. From the thirtieth round Nelson could hardly see or hear, the left side/ of his face having lost all semblance of , its former contour. He staggered and hung on. In the thirty-seventh round he was all but out, but survived the round.

Manager tried To End Fight

In the thirty-eighth round, John Robinson, Nelson's manager, wanted to throw up the sponge into but Abdul, the Turk, one of the seconds, tore it from his hands and threw It into the bucket.

From then on, in each round, Robinson protested, on the verge of tears, that his man was beaten. Referee Smith asked Nelson if he wanted to quit, and Nelson, -unable to talk, merely shook his head negatively. When thirty seconds of the fortieth round had gone and as darkness was beginning to creep over the scene of the fight, a full moon just beginning to peep through the clouds,. Referee Smlth raised Wolgast's glove into the Air and a new lightweight champion had come into fistiana,

Wolgast had out generalled. Outboxed and -all but outgamed the Great Battling Nelson. After the battle Wolgast scampered out of the ring Like a schoolboy and galloped through the mud .Nelson was taken out on the arms of his seconds. As he was carried through the crowd he was cheered For the remarkable grit and gameness displayed by him .Such as old ring followers had seldom been seen In a prize ring.

Referee smith made the following statement to the Associated press

Referee makes statement

Wolgast fought Nelson at his own game and beat him Fairly and squarely. Nelson complained at times of Wolgast Butting, but I paid little heed as it was simply a case Of battler getting the worst of the game where both Were equally guilty .“Both men fought the same , but one had youth, the power to come back, vigor , life and all that goes with it, while the thirteen years of fighting through which Nelson had gone had sapped the strength out of him without The old snap, dash and staminaâ€

Wolgast ready for others

“ My fight today was like a training bout .Only once did he bother me and that was in the twenty-second round Nelson hurt me more by butting me than anything else and I felt funny foe just a few seconds .I cannot say anything as to my future plans but I am ready to give Deserving lightweights a chance.

Makes no complaint

When Neslon was able to walk he said “ I am sorry they called the fight off When they did, I think I could have stayed the forty-five rounds, but I have no Complaint to makeâ€.

NEVADA STATE JOURNAL

Feb 23, 1910

WOLGAST FAMILY HAPPY OVERVICTORY

CADILLAC, Mich.., Feb. 22. Four thousand former neighbours of Ad Wolgast packed three theatres tonight 'and shouted themselves hoarse Details of the fight were received from Richmond arena. When the result was announced the crowds formed a cheering parade that marched the length of the town.

Engine and factory whistleswere blown until the noise was deafening. At a Cadillac poolroom where report' of the fight were read JohnWolgast, father of the champion, and two of his brothers, were carried about on the shoulders of the enthusiasts.. Tears streamed down the father's face. ','Ad won't lose the title until he hands it to me," said one of the brothers.

At the farm house two miles south of Cadillac. Wolgast's mother sat holding a telephone receiver for two hours and repeating the results of the rounds to Wolgast's sisters and baby brother. "I knew he would win," the mother said. "He is so good to us. I can't say any more. My heart will break with joy."

The farm on which the family live was bought by the fighter with his first saving's.

NOTE – the brother was Johnny Wolgast he had a fight with

My dad Fred Snell 25 April 1925 who koed him in the 4th

Nice one dad.

Rob Snell