JAKE KILRAIN'S LIFE AND BATTLES. By Rob Snell

Mofo2

JAKE KILRAIN'S LIFE AND BATTLES.

SKETCH OF THE CHAMPION.

Jake Kilrain, the American champion, who fought Jem Smith for $10,000, the "Police Gazette "diamond belt and championship of the world, stands 5 feet 10 ½ inches high, and weighs 210 pounds. His chest measurement is 41 inches, upon and around the biceps 16 inches, forearm 14 inches, waist 34 inches, thigh 25 inches, calf of leg 16 ¼ inches. He wears a No 9 shoe and No. 9 glove, and it takes a 17 inch collar to encircle his neck. Kilrain gives the following interesting history of his life

" My name is Joseph John Killion. When I was a lad my comrades persisted in calling me Kilrain, and the name has stuck to me ever since, so I have bowed to the inevitable, and now write my name 'Kilrain.' I was born at Greenport, Columbia county, which is in the State of New York, and the date of my nativity is the 9th of February, 1859, so that I am twenty-eight years of age. I have no regular occupation other than training athletes and boxing, but in my younger days I worked in a rolling mill in Somerville, Mass., which is a suburb of Boston. It was here that I developed a love for athletic sports. In fact they were forced upon me, for in such a large establishment it was not to be wondered at that there were many good boxers, and as I was a gawky country boy, I was a mark for all their practical jokes. Sometimes they went too far, and when I remonstrated they laughed at me. You can bet that made me mad, so I just made up my mind that I would thrash one or two of these tormentors, and from that day I was champion of the mill.

"The first customer was Jack Daley, who had fought several small ring battles, but I put him to sleep in short order. My next encounter was with Jem Driscoll, a regular giant, who, while having little or no science, could hit with the force of a trip hammer. He hurt me very badly, but I finally wore him down, and when he at last gave up his mother would scarcely have known him. I next fought Dan Dwyer. It was a long and bloody fight, but I finally managed to pull through a winner. I was very sore for a long time and thought I was internally injured. 1 he last man that was pitted against me was Dennis Roach. He had been imported to the mill with the idea of putting an end to young Kilrain's run of luck, and they came near doing so, too. I was not very well when the day for the fight arrived, but knowing full well that I should have been branded as a coward if 1 backed out, I got into the ring determined to stand up as long as I was able. My antagonist was a hurricane fighter, and sought to annihilate me in a couple of rounds. He hit me in the stomach several times, and I thought that I must give in, but after a little while Roach's blows got weaker, and finding he could not hurt me much, I fought with him, and by a judicious use of my left hand managed to close up his eyes. Roach was willing to keep on fighting, although he could not see. Finally his friends took him away, and that ended my fighting career in the mill."

He took to rowing, and was one of the winning crew in a four-oared race on Lake Waldron. This appeared to whet Kilrain's appetite for boating, and in 1883 we find him competing successfully for the Junior sculling championship at the National Amateur Regatta, held at Newark, N. J. Of course, when President Garfield, of the National Association, learned the identity of " Killion," and discovered him to be a professional pugilist, he at once took steps for an investigation, and Mr. "Killion" and

Mr. Kilrain ceased to be an amateur oarsman. His next appearance in a racing boat was on the Charles River, when he was one of a four-oared Hull boat crew. They rowed against the Middlesex and Riverside crews, and beat them both. A few weeks later on he formed part of a four-oared crew which rowed in the Union Boat Club regatta on the Charles River, and won the prize. The same crew was one of the entries in the Fourth of July regatta of 1883, but suffered defeat, rowing second to the Middlesex crew, which was accounted one of the best amateur fours.

" In the winter of 1883 I launched out as a down-right professional pugilist. I obtained a situation in the Boston Cribb Club, where I was assistant to Jem M'Carthy. Here I got more hard knocks than wealth, but I gained a good deal of experience. While employed in the Cribb Club I was called upon to face some good men. My first experience was with Harry Allen. We were to have contested six rounds, but I had Allen knocked out in the very first round. The gentlemen present asked me to ' let up '

on my antagonist. This I did, and he rallied, but made such a poor showing that the management stopped the fight.

"My next antagonist was George Godfrey, the colored pugilist. This was to have been a six-round fight, but I hit the darkey so hard that he quit in the third round.

" Nothing more was done in 1883, but the following year was a busy one for me. Jim Goode was pitted against me for a six-round battle. The referee declared it a draw, but disinterested people say that I should have got the verdict, as Goode was to all intents and purposes a defeated man.

" My next antagonist was Charley Mitchell, with whom I fought a four-round draw. Then came my encounter with Mike Cleary, which was for four rounds. Despite the fact that Cleary could scarcely stand at the end of the fourth round, Billy Edwards declared the contest a draw.

"Next in order comes my meeting with Jack Burke. We were to have fought five rounds, but the first was so hot and heavy that the Boston police got on the stage and prevented us from finishing the combat ; they allowed us to finish the other four rounds in a very tame sparring match. A proposition was made to Burke to settle the affair in some other city, but the Irish lad refused."

After this Kilrain took a long rest, and then he went to Bangor, Me., and met a giant by the name of Jerry Murphy, who stood six feet one inch and weighed 200 pounds. Kilrain almost killed his burly antagonist, and in the middle of the second round put him to sleep by a right-hander on the jaw.

In 1885, at Cambridge, Mass., Kilrain met William Sheriff, the Prussian. They were to have fought six rounds, but Kilrain knocked his antagonist insensible in two rounds. The latter was finally restored to consciousness, and then Kilrian sparred a light round with Sheriff' who could make no showing with his man at all.

George Fryer, the English pugilist, was Kilrain's next adversary, and they fought a,five-round draw. The last victim that Kilrain had in 1885 was Jem M'Glynn, of New Bedford, Mass. This individual, by the exercise of a lot of pedestrianism, managed to last through three rounds, then he got hit so hard on the jaw that he quit, refusing to go on.

During the year 1886 Kilrain had many adversaries. The first one to oppose him was Frank Herald, whom some of the New York newspapers " boosted " into such eminence. This is the pugilist of whom it was said that James Gordon Bennett offered to subscribe a purse of $2,000 to fight John L. Sullivan, provided no reporters other than his own men were allowed to see the battle. Herald and Kilrain met in Baltimore, Md., and the first-named lasted one short round, Kilrain sending in such a smashing hit on the jaw that Herald toppled over insensible.

Wm. E.'Harding, the sporting editor of the Police Gazette, was referee, but because the police broke in the ring, he decided the contest a draw, but admitted that if the round had been finished and the police not stopped hostilities Kilrain would have been declared the winner, for everyone knew that Herald was whipped.

Soon after this Kilrain was hired to spar at the Theatre Comique, Philadelphia, Pa. The conditions under which he was to draw his salary were that he was to meet a fresh man every night, and either best his opponent or send him to sleep. This Kilrain did.

He began on Godfrey, who got his quietus in the second round. When Godfrey was knocked down everyone thought that his neck was broken, and it was hours before he was restored to consciousness. In fact he has never been the same man since Kilrain's mighty right hand came in contact with his jaw.

Tom Kelly managed to stand up three rounds, and part of the fourth round. Then he was taken to his room in a very demoralized condition. Third on the list was Denny Killeen, who, though standing up through four rounds, was badly used up. Killeen was knocked down seven times in the quarter of an hour he faced Kilrain. This was a wonderful showing for an athlete, and the record stands unrivalled.

In 1885 Kilrain had many glove fights. His first battle was with Jack Ashton on Long Island. Ashton had whipped Dick Collier and won fifteen battles, and many supposed he would easily defeat Kilrain, but Kilrain won. " Joe Lannon, of Boston, then challenged me to fight with skin gloves. A purse was put up by the Cribb Club, Boston, and Lannon was made a big favorite, because Sullivan, who was then champion, refused to meet him.

Lannon managed to stand up for 13 rounds, and then a blow on the point of the jaw made him oblivious to the call of time, and I won. Eichard K. Fox, my backer, then put up $1,000 with the New York Clipper and offered to match me to fight John L. Sullivan for $5,000 or $10,000 a side, or any man in the world, for the ' Police Gazette ' diamond belt and the championship. Sullivan could not be coaxed to fight me, and the match fell through.

"Richard K. Fox then handed me the 'Police Gazette' championship belt and matched me to fight Jem Smith, the champion of England, for $10,000 and the championship of the world."

LOTS MORE TO FOLLOW

HERE IS SMITH'S RECORD.

He was born in the parish of St. Luke's, London, England ; he is 5 feet 8 ¼ inches high, and fights at 182 pounds ; his physical measurements are as follows : Chest, 40 ¾ inches; waist, 36 ½ inches; hips, 40 ¼ inches; thigh, 24 ½ inches; calf, 16 ¾ inches; biceps, 15 ¼ inches ; he has weighed, untrained, 212 pounds ; he made his advent in pugilism in 1882, when he won a boxing competition open to 140-pound pugilists in London ; same year he defeated Bob Preston in a bare knuckle fight in 8 rounds, occupying 20 minutes, near London, for $40 ; same year in London won the all-England boxing competition for 154-pound men ; same year, at St. Luke's with bare knuckles, beat Liddard, middle-weight, in 6 rounds ; same year beat Snavey, of Oliver, 168- pound man, with gloves, in 4 rounds ; in 1883 won the open boxing competition at the

Blue Anchor, Shoreditch, for middle-weights, defeating Bill Brand, Bob Preston and Arthur Cooper ; same year beat Bill Davis with knuckles, near London, for $50, time of fight one hour ; same year beat Henry Arnold, with gloves, for $50, near London, 14 rounds, occupying 55 minutes ; same year at Barket, whipped Skidmore, a 16-stone man (224 pounds) in 3 rounds, with gloves ; Dec. 17, 1884, defeated Wolff Bendoff in a hard glove fight to a finish, for $100, and won in 12 rounds. In this fight Smith broke his left arm in the third round. In 1885, in the heavy-weight glove competition, open to all comers, at the Blue Anchor, Shoreditch, beat Sugar Goodson, Wanop and Longer, the last named in the final, winning the competition ; Dec. 16, 1885, at Godstone, England, for £200 a side and the ring championship of England, beat Jack Davis with bare knuckles, 4 rounds, lasting 15 minutes ; Feb. 16, at Maison Lafitte, near Paris, France, for £300 and the championship of England, fought Alfred Greenfield, of Birmingham,13 rounds. Smith had the best of the fight when Greenfield's partisans broke into the ring.

Jem Mace, the referee, declared the fight a draw. Soon afterward Smith was matched to fight Jack Knifton, the 81-tonner, as he is called. The men met three times, once near Paris, France, the second time near London, and the third time in London. On the first occasion Knifton refused to fight because Smith's friends predominated, and the police broke up the fight after two meetings.

William E. Harding, sporting editor of the Police Gazette, New York, who represented Richard K. Fox, the backer of Jake Kilrain, the American champion, in his international battle with Jem Smith, the British ehampion, for $10,000, the " Police Gazette " diamond belt and the championship of the world, was born in Toronto, Canada, of Irish parents, June 6, 1848. He is a nephew of Ned O'Neale, the Streathem Youth, who gained fistic glory by his prowess in the prizering.

W. E. Harding is well-known in sporting circles all over the country as an accomplished and thorough athlete, and has been made famous through his various exploits. From 1863 to 1869 he was the champion runner from one to ten miles distance, and also held the championship as a fifty-mile walker up to the month of January, 1879. He was competitor for the title, winning three trials. As a bicycle rider Mr. Harding has attained the highest place, being acknowledged as the champion for three years, respectively 1870, 71, '72. He has attended all the great fistic battles; witnessed Mike McCoole defeat Aaron Jones ; was present at Tom Allen's many battles in America, andwinessed Jem Mace defeat Tom Allen, at New Orleans, in 1870, and filled the position of referee at glove contests between Charley Mitchell, Jake Kilrain and other noted exponents of the manly art. He filled the position of referee in the Paddy Smith and Jemmy Mitchell battle for the "Police Gazette " belt and light-weight championship, and arranged the prize fight between John L. Sullivan and Paddy Ryan, and represented Richard K. Fox on that occasion. Since 1867 he has been sporting editor of the New York Daily and Sunday News, whose columns are regarded as high authority on all sporting matters, and embrace all the athletic sports of the day. Since Wm. E. Harding, the once famous runner, champion walker and bicycle rider has been sporting editor of Richard K. Fox's great sporting paper, the Illustrated Police Gazette of New York, his energy, enterprise and abilities have been well appreciated by Richard K. Fox, the "bonanza" sporting promotor of great events, from a boat race to a championship prize fight, and proprietor of the Police Gazette. On Aug. 1, 1881, Richard K. Fox presented William E. Harding with a gold watch and chain valued at $500.

The "cap" bears suitable description and name of the donor. On Aug. 1, 1882, as a token of esteem from Richard K. Fox, he received a diamond collar-button, valued at $250, and a massive gold locket set with a solitaire diamond, value $100. In August, 1883, Harding received for his annual present a beautiful scarf pin, set with rubies, sapphires and

diamonds, in the shape of a large "H," valued at $150 : also a large gold shield, valued at $300, with the words "Police Gazette" set in diamonds and rubies beautifully inscribed.

On New Year's day, 1884, he received a large solitaire diamond ring, value $800, from Richard K. Fox. On August 1, 1884, Harding received for his annual August present a large horse-shoe scarf pin, made of 22-caret gold. The seven nails are seven blue mine diamonds of great value. The toe of the shoe is set with diamonds. In the shoe calks are a large sapphire and a ruby, while from the frog of the shoe is three initial letters, " W. E. H." set with garnets and diamonds. Attached to the pin by a unique gold chain is a gold shield, which bears the following: "To William E. Harding, from Richard K. Fox, proprietor of the Police Gazette, New York, as a token of appreciation for services as sporting editor, and fidelity as a friend.

August 1, 1884." In 1886 he received from Richard K. Fox an elegant gold watch, valued at $200, and on January 1, 1887, he received a pair Of couplet diamond sleeve buttons, valued at $500. In every city in the United States and Canada he has received souvenirs and presents of all descriptions from sporting men with whom he is very popular. He is not proud nor arrogant, but treats everyone with respect and in a sociable manner.

GRAPHIC ACCOUNT OF JAKE KILRAIN'S WONDERFUL BATTLE WITH JEM

SMITH, OF ENGLAND.

[FROM SPECIAL REPORT TO "POLICE GAZETTE."]

Paris, Dec. 19, 1887.—Kilrain came as near whipping the champion of England today as a man could and still miss it. He knocked Jem Smith down thirty odd times in two hours and a half. There was no prospect of Smith winning, and every assurance that Kilrain would knock him out when the fight was called, on account of darkness ostensibly, but really because about 75 Englishmen saw the money that they had placed so radiantly on Smith going rapidly out of sight.

It was the most distinguished body of men who ever went to a mill. It cost from $200 upward to see the muscular giants pound each other into pitiable and bloody helplessness. The distinguished party left the Pelican Club in London on Sunday night and met at the Victoria Station at 8 o'clock, thence by rail to New Haven, where everybody climbed gloomily into a stuffy little boat that ran to Dieppe, in France. After the boat had made enthusiastic and earnest endeavors to turn over twice in different directions at the same time for seven long hours the distinguished party trooped ashore at Dieppe, a landing place that is famous for gloom, dampness and a breakfast of surpassing and spectacular misery. The men looked haggard and worn. It had been a wearisome crossing.

The Marquis of Queensberry wandered socially about. He is small, quietly dressed, and smooth shaven except for two patches of whiskers, and the picture of the conventional British waiter except that he is vastly more unassuming than that haughty menial. Lord De Clifford was what might be called chummy ; Lord Chareton was inclined to go off Into corners and stare at his boots, and Lord Mayo looked monstrously damp and solemn. Among the others were Captain Lee Barber, Col. Browne, the Hon.

Michael Sandy, Arthur Cooper, Count Saville, Capt. Drummond, Mr. Mackey, Capt. Bailey, Willis Wilde, the suave six-foot brother of Oscar, and numerous others.

It was a perfectly managed affair. To be discovered meant imprisonment for the spectators as well as the principles. From point to point of the long railroad journey that followed, Mr. George Atkinson, editor of the Sporting Life, received messages that decided his course. Meanwhile another party, consisting of the two fighters and their seconds, journeyed west from Paris. They met at Rouen. There was another change, and the whole party journeyed on. It was now about 10 o'clock in the morning, and members of the party were so badgered and harrassed that they went this way or that as they were bid like sleepy children.

After the train had been running two hours it was discovered that four of Kilrain's friends had been lost on the way. They were Charley Johnson, Jimmy Wakeley, Phil Lynch and W. D. Morton. They had traveled 3,000 miles to see the mill, but missed it at the last minute.

At Bonnaires the crowd streamed aboard a solitary tugboat and set off up the river Siene. There were seventy-eight Englishmen and four Americans on board. Smith was constantly surrounded by friends, but Jake Kilrain sat almost alone. His friends were Pony Moore and Charley Mitchell, and mighty good friends they proved to be later on.

The boat ran to a small and swampy island in a marshy part of the river. A twenty-four foot ring was made with stakes and ropes that had been taken along, and at 2 :10 P. M. Smith ran up and bounded into the ring. He looked fit to fight for his life, and the lords and swells and millionaires cheered him to the echo.

"If you can't whip the Yankee to-day, Jimmy," yelled an enthusiastic Captain of dragoons, "you can never do it, you know."

" I'll lay 200 to 100 on Smith," yelled a lord.

" Seventy to 20 on our Jimmie," yelled another.

Everywhere the cry was for Smith. His seconds were a noisy, tricky and brutal Cockney named Jack Baldock and a man named Jack Harper. J. Fleming was timekeeper and umpire for Smith.

Kilrain walked up to the ring amid comparative silence. His face was set and determined. He knew that he was alone, but for his seconds, Charley Mitchell and Ned Donnelly, and his friend Pony Moore. Charley Rowell was Kilrain's bottle-holder.

The fight was for the largest purse ever known in the prize ring Before the battle began W. E. Harding stepped into the ring and handed Kilrain £200 to bet as he chose. It was a present from Richard K. Fox, of the Police Gazette, who backed Kilrain. The Marquis of Queensberry was to have acted as referee, and he was quite willing, too, but there was a hitch, and Mr. Atkinson took his place.

The sun came out and brightened up the scene as the men stepped out in the middle of the ring and looked each other over. They were as well matched as any pair of gladiators the world has seen. Each weighed about 180 pounds, though Kilrain was about four pounds the heavier. The men were trained fine, and their muscles played like steel fibres under satin as they moved about. Each was stripped to the waist.

The waists of the men were wound in big plasters to give them strength, and resin was sprinkled over their bare and knotty hands. The water rippled round the little island, and some peasants across the river ceased ploughing their field to stare at the crowd of handsomely dressed Englishmen crowding around two half naked and magnificent looking

men. The cries for Smith rent the air. It was the most important fight since that of Heenan and Sayers, and everybody knew it.

THE FIGHT BEGINS.

The referee called time and the two combatants jumped forward. Smith swung his big arms straight in front of him and danced a bit on his pins. Kilrain, or the Yankee, as he is called, stood in an easy position with his hands well down and his shoulders back. Smith looked wicked, Kilrain confident. Smith had fought and defeated such veteran fighters as Greenfield and Davis. Kilrain had not only never been in the regular professional prize ring, but he had not even seen a bare knuckle fight. He looked as clean cut as a race horse.

Kilrain made a feint at Smith, let go a low left-hander, and then brought his left in on the Englishman's jaw with a shock like a sand-club's blow. It was an early and forcible indication that Kilrain was in earnest. Smith rushed in on him. They clinched and fell with Smith on top. The cheers of the Englishmen were deafening. Both men were picked up and carried to their corners.

FIRST BLOOD FOB KILRAIN.

2- The men sprang at each other hotly. There was a sharp interchange of blows, and then some terrific slugging followed. Kilrain sent in a slight left-hander that split Smith's lips up and down and sent the blood spattering over his chest and arms. Harding claimed first blood for Kilrain and got it. Smith caught Kilrain a swinging right-hander that nearly ripped Kilrain's ear from his head, and sent the blood streaming over him, too. The men clinched and fell, with Smith on top.

3—Smith rushed and knocked Kilrain down, falling on him heavily. Both men were now red with blood, and Kilrain's left eye was closed.

4—When Kilrain came up for this round there was something in the expression of lis good eye that caused Smith's seconds to warn him. Kilrain ducked a long blow of Smith's, and coming up, dealt the Englishman one in the neck that almost put him to sleep. He hit him again in the same place and threw him heavily by a back lock.

5 to 10—The next six rounds were precisely similar. In every one Smith received frightful punishment and was thrown at the end of each round.

smith's terrible punishment.

11—The men stood before each other in a dead silence. The Englishmen who had been backing a sure thing were startled. The hardest hitter in England was a mass of blood and bruises. Kilrain's forehead was laid open and his face swollen, but he smiled quietly as he stepped in front of his man.

" You don't think so, Jem," he said softly, " but the fight won't be yours."

Smith made a feint, and a moment later Kilrain shot out his left, and catching the Briton square on the chin knocked him flat and cold. They picked Smith up, but he seemed more dead than alive, but he rallied quickly.

It is due to Mitchell to say that but for him Kilrain would have fared very much harder. He resented every display of brutal injustice in the sharpest manner. At one point after the crowd had howled at him for backing up his principal, he jumped into the middle of the ring and shouted, shaking his fist, " You dare not maltreat my man. I blush to have to acknowledge that you are Englishmen. Here's a lade come 3,000 miles over the sea to fight your champion. He never even saw a prize fight before. He has

no friends here, while there's a hundred against him. He's going to have his rights or I've got to get licked as well as he."

THE BATTERED PUGILISTS.

It would be difficult to imagine anything more revolting than the condition of the men at the end of the fight. It had grown dusky, and the spectators were shivering in the shrill winter's wind. The two magnificent athletes of three hours before were battered almost out of human semblance. Kilrain's right eye was puffed up like a miniature

balloon. His left eye was battered, but still partly open, and he had a heavy cut across his nose. His jaw looked like a piece of raw beefsteak, and the bumps on his forehead stood out like eggs. A continual stream of blood flowed from his right ear where it was torn. All over his body, from the big abrasions where the resin-smeared fists of the opponent had fallen, continual sponging could not keep the blood from smearing the body. But, bad as Kilrain's appearance was, Smith's was worse. He had been pounded till his face was battered out of its former semblance, his lips had been cut by early blows of Kilrain, and each subsequent smash had puffed and swollen them violently.

more to follow

AT THE RING SIDE.

London, Dec. 20, 1887.

It is narrated by a spectator, a close observer, that when on the ground they manfully abstained from taking any unfair advantage and remained passive until picked up by their seconds. Occasionally, of course, there were objections and appeals to the referee by the seconds, but, although words were bandied freely about, a dash of wit turned the situation into one of the most laughable description. At one time one man

waited until his opponent was rising from his seat, whereupon the following conversation took place

:

Harper—Doesn't your man want to fight, Donnelly ?

Donnelly—You'll not be in a hurry after a few more rounds.

Mr. Harding—Look ! We claim first blood.

Harper (amid much laughter)—You've been asleep ; we drew that some time ago.

Mitchell—It's a nice day, Jake. Take your time. It's ten to one on you.

Here Kilrain knocked Smith down with a terrific right-hander on the left ear, which immediately swelled up.

Donnelly—Hallo ! He is getting weak.

Harper—Yes, a fortnight.

Mr. A. Cooper—Kilrain is a good man and a fair fighter too, Smith. He's a better man than ever I thought him. After a few more rounds they clinched and wrestled for a fall, and a bystander remarked,

"He can't throw him?" to which Kilrain replied, "Can't I throw him?" and

over went Smith.

As they were being carried to their respective corners Mitchell said : "Look, Jake,

at his ear. Don't stand their hank."

At one period the altercation between the seconds was amusing, Mitchell appealing to the referee in the 31st round :

" Here !" They are gouging my man !"

Baldock—You lie ; you know I wouldn't do such a thing

Mitchell—No, John ; it's a shame to accuse you of such conduct. You'll forgive me,

Jack, won't you ? (satirically).

Howes—Kilrain is a fighter.

Governor Fleming—He's a much better man than I thought him.

Donnelly—Let's have fair play, and may the best man win.

"Pony " Moore—You know we are in a strange country.

After the 40th round Donnelly and Baldock, who had sworn vengeance previously, went into the centre of the ring and shook hands vigorously.

Donnelly—Look, gentlemen, he walks to his corner.

Harper—That's because you can't carry him.

Baldock (to Smith, sitting in his corner)—Oh ! Jem, if I had a looking glass ! Anybody would kiss you. (Here Baldock suited the action to the word by kissing Smith.)

Mitchell (as Jake walked to the centre)—Keep your hands shut ; come a little this way.

A Spectator—We'll want some candles soon.

Mitchell (satirically)—Look out, Jake ; mind Jem's left. He changes that leg and gives an awful punch in the darby.

Harper—When he does get it there you'll not like it, take my word.

Baldock (hysterically)—Go on, Jem ; your constitution can stand it.

Howes—Don't stand so much of that wrestling, Jem. (To bystander)—Kilrain's a good 'un.

Mitchell—Oh ! look at poor Jem's ear. I wouldn't have that ear for all the money in the Bank of England.

Harper—Ah ! wait until you meet Sullivan, Mitchell.

Donnelly—Charley, don't you think we had better give them half an hour's rest?

Harper—You'll want two before long.

Baldock—Jem, I thought we had lost an hour ago. You can win; now set about him.

After two more rounds great commotion prevailed in the midst of which Baldock and Donnelly looked very much like engaging in a scrap; but fortunately their men required carrying to their corners and the turmoil ceased.

Harper—Look at that eye, Jem, I'll give you my word he can't see you.

Kilrain (to Harper)—Yes, I can, and you, also, my gentleman.

When seven more rounds had been fought and the men were on the ground Kilrain,in answer to the cries of Smith's seconds to get off their man, said :

"IPI can't win fair, I don't want to win."

Mitchell—Smith has said he hoped Jake would make him fight half an hour. He'll be accommodated to-day.

At the termination of the 71st round Donnelly, while carrying Kilrain to his corner, sang " Sweet Violets." On completing 77 rounds Mitchell appealed to the referee, declaring that his man's face had been torn.

Smith—No, no ; I wouldn't do such a thing.

Baldock—It isn't likely.

Mitchell—Oh ! your god is a wooden one.

Kilrain, after showing his face to the referee and asking that official to "watch those fellows," walked to his corner and was subsequently ordered by Mitchell to make his time.

Harper—Wait till you meet Sullivan.

Mitchell—Ah ! the sooner the better. I have beaten all comers, and when I meet that bluff the fight will not last so long as this. Be careful in that corner and don't tryto break my man's fingers.

Harper—Smith's will break his jaw.

Fleming—The men are all right ; it's the seconds who are making all the row.

Mitchell—Look out for Jack Baldock.

Baldock—You are a nice 'un ; you'll want me to second you against Sullivan.

Mitchell (hearing some talk about postponement through darkness)—Say. don't talk about darkness ; look at the moon. God bless the old moon.

A spectator—You'll want candles soon.

Concluding the 79th round, Smith's seconds attempted to carry him, but Jem said,

" Let me walk."

Mitchell—Now, look here ; there must be no nonsense this time or there'll be somebody hurt, and it won't be me.

As they advanced for the 101st round Mitchell said: "Now, let's have one good round and give the fight to the best man."

Then began a series of knock-down blows. Up to the 50th round Kilrain knocked Smith down twenty times. Smith's backers walked away from the ring. The men had been fighting steadily for more than an hour, and Smith was still facing the music. Then began the trouble that the handful of Americans had feared. Smith tried to gouge out Kilrain's eye. In one round later his second tried the same trick. In both cases the outrage was so plain that everybody saw it, and it should be said that it drove several Englishmen over to Kilrain's side. His magnificent fighting qualities commanded the admiration of even the heaviest losers, but there was a rowdy element that endorsed the tricky Briton. It was evident Smith was fighting for time.

He would fall when Kilrain struck at him so as to gain time. Everything was done so as to stretch out the time. Mitchell saw the scheme and protested hotly. He fought like a major, but the combination was too strong for him.

After the men had been fighting two hours and a half, and when Kilrain had brought the 106th round to a close by knocking Smith down and a left-handed blow in the jaw, the fight was declared a draw on account of darkness. Kilrain was the lion on the trip home. He was so straight, manly and honest that the crowd forsook Smith and turned to the man who had fought so pluckily and fairly against long odds. Kilrain will come out well ahead, as Mr. Fox agreed to give him whatever money was up, win or lose.

The men are to fight again in a room with twelve people on a side to decide the championship. Already the betting is two to one on Kilrain. After the fight the weary sportsmen trooped off by twos and threes to talk over the result of the match and avoid the police, who had become alert. If it had not been for Mitchell's persistent and belligerent espousal of Kilrain's cause there is no doubt that the American would have been very seriously maimed, if not blinded. It was to the credit of the Englishmen present that they were loudest and most emphatic in condemnation of the cowardly methods employed by Smith's second. Baldock was very brutal and atrocious in his efforts to make Smith win by foul play. At the Aquarium on Saturday, Dec. 10, at Sullivan's last exhibition, he said in the presence of several witnesses, " Yes, Smith will win. I would make him win if he were nothing but a cat."

The seconds were compelled to remain outside the ropes as long as the men were fighting, but the instant they clinched and went down the seconds jumped into the ring to lift them and carry them to their corners. It was at these moments that Baldock indulged in his foul practices. His agility was wonderful ; he would spring over the ropes like a cat and throw himself upon the heels of the two pugilists with their bloody arms clasped around each other's necks. There would be a shout from Mitchell and very often from the spectators too, who observed the villainy of the second.

GOUGING KILRAIN'S EYE.

At the end of the 32d round, after Kilrain had staggered to his feet half blinded to the place where Atkinson, the referee, stood against the ropes, he pointed one finger to his left eye and said quietly

" Mr. Atkinson, that man Baldock rammed his finger into my eye as I lay there and tried to gouge it out. You can see for yourself." He was pointing to his left eye, from which the blood was streaming. The right eye had been closed for an hour. The wound in the eye was on the lower lid, where the nails of Smith's second had dug into it. Fortunately he had not succeeded in piercing the eye-ball. At this moment the two seconds of Smith were carrying that brawny but breathless champion of England to his corner. Atkinson reproved Baldock, and Kilrain went back to his corner.

In the thirty-eighth round the two men fell very near Smith's corner. Mitchell was on the other side of the 24-foot ring. Baldock was immediately over the spot where they lay. He vaulted the ropes and leaned over the men as though endeavoring to part them. In reality he seized one of Kilrain's fingers with the intention of breaking it. Mitchell's eye caught the motion, and he dashed across the ring landing on Baldock. The spectacle followed of a light-weight second flying at a large and muscular 'body. Mitchell struck Baldock in everyway as he rushed at him, and knocked him -completely out of the ring. Baldock, who certainly has plenty of pluck, came back over the ropes and rushed at Mitchell, livid and stuttering with rage. The other seconds separated them, and saved Baldock from what he deserved.

AFTER THE BATTLE.

London, Dec. 21, 1887.

Smith was gossiping with Howes and Roberts, his backers. He said: " They say Jake can't hit hard. All I can say is let 'em try it. That blow on the ear bothered me a lot, because, you see, it was done so early in the fight. They say Kilrain can't fight. Let 'em have a fight with him. He fights better than he spars. " I feel first class. I have plenty of bruises about me, and one over the chest is like a breastplate. When I cough it hurts me. I could not see properly for three quarters of an hour after the punch on the ear.. That fellow has a good right hand. I hear Kilrain cannot get out of his bed. " I was getting stronger during the last 6 rounds and felt wonderfully well."

KILRAIN CHEERFUL BUT BRUISED.

Kilrain, on arriving in London, went to Moore's house, in Finchley road, with Charley Mitchell. He was extremely cheerful. The external marks of punishment are an inflamed right eye, discoloration of the left optic and an abrasion over the forehead and nose. His hands are quite sound, and in every other respect his condition is as perfect as possible.

Kilrain said :—" I was up the next morning at half-past seven and had a bath. After breakfast, with Mitchell and Charley Rowell, I took a hack and rode up the Champs Elysee, through the Arc de Triomphe, into the Bois de Boulogne, on to the Auteuille racecourse. Returning, we visited Napoleon's tomb, Notre Dame and the Morgue. We left Paris at a quarter to eight for London and arrived at Charing Cross at ten minutes past six."

THE PART MITCHELL PLAYED.

Mitchell then struck in about the absence of the American contingent, and said : "Everything I could do to get them to the fight was done, so far as I was personally concerned. I went round for them the morning of the fight to their hotel. They did not come. I drove a second time to their hotel with Mr. Wm. E. Harding, but we could not find them. "We were told that they had gone to the station. We were only just in time to catch the train which we nearly lost through looking for them. If they had an interest in their countryman winning and did not come to England from selfish motives, they could not expect me to leave my man on the day of the fight and look after anybody. I think I have proved to the sporting world at large that I did everything a man could do to bring Jake fit and well to the scratch. Having perfectly satisfied Kilrain, I feel more than satisfied with myself, as deeds speak for themselves."

KILRAIN FELT HURT.

Kilrain—For my part I felt hurt that they were not with me, as they are countrymen of mine. Mitchell made every effort to delay the fight in order to give them time to reach the rendezvous ; but the determination to fight compelled me to make instantaneous arrangements, and the battle proceeded. "I hope the members of the press are perfectly satisfied with the arrangements made for their accommodation, and trust they will treat us as we have treated them. From the present outlook pugilism is on the rise, and we shall have many more championship fights in the near future.

KILRAIN IGNORES SULLIVAN.

"In regard to Sullivan's challenges I think it all a bluff. I ignore the challenge, also the challenger, as it is well known throughout the world that he has refused to fight me. My money was up for three.months, and by refusing to meet me he forfeited any pretensions he might have had to championship honors, but should it go wrong with Charley I'll fight him as soon as he likes and for as much as he likes. But there, let the matter drop. He will not beat Charley, and as a natural consequence my desire to meet him will not be gratified.

HIS OPINION OF SMITH.

" Smith is undoubtedly a good, game man, and having met him in battle I shall be pleased to meet him in friendship. As to the treatment I received at the hands of the English public, I can't find words to sufficiently express my gratitude. All over the country my reception has been princely, and wherever I have gone kindly words have been said and the best of wishes expressed for my welfare to the end of my days, and when I'm far away from England recollection of this visit will crowd out from my memory all the remaining acts of kindness tendered to me away from my home.

GRATITUDE TO ROWELL AND HARDING.

" I must not forget to say a word in Charley Rowell's favor. He was my guide, philosopher and friend all through my training and conscientiously looked after my interest to the bitter end."

Mitchell—Jake, we must make Harding a little present. What is it to be ? Kilrain—Whatever he likes—with all my heart. Mitchell—Well, he hasn't got a diamond ring, so we will give him one and present it on the stage of the Washington Music Hall next Saturday evening. It will be a present from myself.

THE MEN IN PARIS.

Paris, Dec. 20.

From a special to Police Gazette.

When the glorious sun broke through the window of the Hotel de 1'Athenee this morning it discovered a tableau that for a moment caused it to waver and grow dim, as though obscured by a passing cloud. The spectacle in question was located on the second floor. Two tubs were placed within a foot of each other, and in them sat two mighty gladiators paddling water gently with their scarred and swollen fists and glancing at each other's billowy muscles.

Yesterday Smith and Kilrain were fighting as though for their lives. To-day their names were in the world's mouth. Even the French newspapers have gone agog over the great contest, the universal feeling here in Paris being that it is a triumph of nineteenth century civilization that two men could meet in the presence of members of the French and English nobility and pummel each other without losing temper or presence of mind. Nothing could have exceeded the friendly feeling that the two battered pugilists exhibited this morning.

"That's a terrible left you've got there, Jem," remarked Kilrain, looking with undisguised admiration at the Englishman's big arm, " 'twas that loosened my ear." " No, Jack," corrected the other, allowing water to drip slowly over the big arm on to his shoulder, " I done that with my right. It was after the fifth round when you slipped sideways." " Well, do you know what it was?" asked Kilrain, slowly but earnestly. "It was a soaker."

At this gracious and magnanimous praise an expression of conscious embarrassment came over the battered assortment of rumpled features that Mr. Smith is wearing in lieu of what was formerly his face. But while he realized that the compliment was deserved, he felt that it was too much to accept without some return, so he raised his big and now irregular hand to his own ear, and remarked quietly "Well, this here clip of yours was felt by me at the time."

Kilrain looked half diffidently down into the water. This was high praise from the champion of England. Personally I think it was deserved, for I remember that when the blow fell it caused Mr. Smith to reel over and drop to the earth. Ten minutes later the whole ear had swollen to the size of a big pear. It was lanced afterward. The men enjoyed their baths. It was the first chance they had had to look each other over. The minute the fight was finished they were helped to their quarters on the tug and plied with champagne. They had been in strict training for months and

months and wine tasted good to them. Sensibly enough, their seconds allowed them to have all they could drink. " Let them get loaded, if they want to," said Mitchell.

He said no two men ever did a harder day's work, and they deserved a little reward. The pugilists had all they could drink, and they were thirsty when they arrived at Paris. They were as happy as lords. After their many wounds were dressed they were put to bed, and they did not meet again till this morning, when they sat in rival tubs and looked each other over with the conversation described. Kilrain talked very freely to his friends about the mill. " It makes a big difference," he said, "in a fight, whether you have on hand friends yelling for you or a hundred enemies yelling against you. I went there to win and did my best, but I might have done a little stronger work if I'd a bigger crowd behind me at the start. But the spectators treated me well after the mill They did, indeed. Lots of English gents came up to me afterward and said they were with me and glad I did so well.

JAKE KILRAIN, CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, RECEIVES $6,000 IN COLD CASH

-HE VISITS DUBLIN—LONDON "PUNCH" WISHES A HAPPY NEW 'EAR

TO JEM SMITH—KILRAIN AND SMITH AT THE AQUARIUM—SULLIVAN'S

BLUSTER.

The curtain descended on the final act of the international prize fight between Jem Smith and Jake Kilrain, the champions of the Old and New Worlds at the Sporting Life office yesterday. At 2 p. m. Jake Kilrain with Charley Mitchell, each attired in fur-lined top coats, trimmed with sealskin, drove up to the Sporting Life office, where they had agreed to meet Mr. William E. Harding, Mr. Richard K. Fox's representative, to draw the stake money Richard K. Fox posted on behalf of Kilrain for his match with Smith, in addition to the £200 given by Mr. Richard K. Fox's representative to Kilrain to bet in the ring. A large crowd assembled in Fleet street so soon as it was whispered that Kilrain (the American champion, and holder of the "Police Gazette " diamond belt, representing the championship of the world) had arrived, and intense excitement prevailed.

Charley Mitchell soon broached the business. "Well," he said, "we have come to draw the stakes Mr. Richard K. Fox put up for Jake's match with Smith." Harding—I have just received a cable from Mr. Fox desiring me to issue a challenge through the Sporting Life to the effect that he is anxious to back Kilrain against John L. Sullivan, to fight in the United States or Mexico, in six months, according to the rules of the London prize ring, for the "Police Gazette" diamond belt and the championship of the world, Mr. Fox to stake $15,000 on Kilrain against $10,000.

Kilrain— I will fight Sullivan any time he is ready to make a bona fide match, but I will not allow Mr. Richard K. Fox (my backer) to lay odds. Sullivan has got a match on now, and it may be that he will find his hands full. If Mitchell beats him then I do not want to fight Sullivan.

Mitchell—I give you my word I feel confident of beating Sullivan.

Harding—You will not do anything of the kind. Bull is final stakeholder and appears to be backing Sullivan. I believe it was his £100 posted on the night the match was made, so what show have you got?

Mitchell—You will find out on the day of the fight. I never could get Sullivan to fight me in America. I fought him when I only weighed 10 stone 3 pounds, and he weighed 14 stone. I floored him with a square knock-down blow, and fiddled him all over the ring, and would have beaten him sure had not the police stepped in and spoiled the business.

Kilrain—One thing I do know. Mr. Richard K. Fox put up $1,000 forfeit for me to fight Suliivan for $5,000 a side and the "Police Gazette" diamond belt, and the big fellow failed to cover the money.

Harding—Say, Kilrain, I will now draw out a formal receipt, which you can sign. You must also give the Sporting Life one, and then you will receive your stake money.

This, with the £200 I handed to you in the ring, makes £1,200 ($6,000). Let me tell you it is more money than John L. Sullivan received when he fought Paddy Ryan for the championship of America.

Mitchell—Is that so?

Kilrain—Yes ; Sullivan only fought for $2,500.

Harding then drew up an acknowledgement, which Jake immediately signed.

The American champion was then handed a check for his stake money by Mr. George W. Atkinson, of the Sporting Life, and the party adjourned to Anderson's Hotel, where, presided over by Messrs. Clemow, sparkling wine was imbibed. Kilrain and Mitchell drove off in a well-appointed buggy, cheered by a large and enthusiastic crowd. —London Sporting Life, Dec. 29.

KILRAIN IN DUBLIN.

Dublin, Jan. 6, 1888.

Kilrain and Mitchell arrived at Waterford this morning bj the Milford boat. Kilrain, referring to Burke's challenge, said that he would go to Australia if he got $500 for expenses. He is of the opinion that Burke does not want to fight, but he is anxious only to get home. The pugilists were entertained at luncheon by Mr. Manning, and large crowds collected for the purpose of getting a peep at them. They left Waterford at half-past two o'clock.

At Maryboro several sporting gentlemen met Kiirain and produced a cablegram from Mr. Fox, expressing pride in Kilrain's fight with the British champion, and adding: " Tell Jake when you meet him I'll back him to fight John L. Sullivan or any other man in the world for $10,000." Kilrain was well pleased with this fresh evidence of his backer's appreciation. At Kingsbridge station, Dublin, the Kilrain party were met by a large crowd of friends and admirers, who were astonished to find that the American pugilist showed no further sign of the great battle than a trifling bloodshot eye. They were driven to the Grosvenor Hotel, where they will sojourn during their visit to Dublin.

It is stated that Mitchell will shortly go into training for the Sullivan fight. John L. goes into training quarters next Friday. There was an enormous crush at the Star Music Hall this evening. Long before the hour for commencing, the house, which is rather small, was crammed from floor to ceiling and the doors were closed on an enormous crowd outside awaiting the arrival of the pugilists. There was no one of prominence among the audience. Kiirain and Mitchell appeared on the stage at a quarter past 9 o'clock, receiving a great ovation. There was no speechmaking, and they at once went to business. They fought three two-minute rounds. Both drew forth frequent applause by clever stopping and getting away.—Herald Correspondent.

KILRAIN AND SMITH BOX AT THE AQUARIUM.

[FROM SPECIAL TO POLICE GAZETTE.]

London, Jan. 10, 1888.

An immense audience at increased prices gathered, and among it were a large number of feminine lovers of nerve and muscle—"the fistic," as one Amazon in crimson plush from boots to bonnet phrased it. The contest was, of course, the same as when the two men were in the ring exactly two weeks ago. The American was the greatest object of curiosity, for Smith is something of a chestnut.

Mr. Fleming introduced the twain in a speech, and then their there rounds began. Directly the men faced each other Kilrain led off with the left, but was neatly countered. He then got one in for nothing which Smith afterward followed up by a substantial body blow. Both men used the left with precision, and some sneezers were put in which called forth plaudits and "Bravo, Kilrain ! " " Good, old Jem !

"

In the second round some heavy digs were given and received, and the sparring scientific honors seemed equally divided. In the third round Kilrain again led off, but Smith was on his trail and a give-and-take bout of a heavy character was carried on from start to finish, after which they received a very hearty recall. They showed few signs of the ordeal recently passed through. Smith's ear is a trifle thick yet, reminding one of Punch's last week's wish to him—" A Happy New 'ear." They each receive £1,000 for twelve nights, and a percentage of the receipts also

beyond £100 per night in the provinces.