United Legend Retires

Mofo2

Sir Alex Ferguson is retiring as manager of Manchester United, the club has confirmed.

The manager, who has been at the club for 26 years, said in a statement: "The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

"It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape, and I believe I have done so."

The Scotsman secured his 13th Premier League title with Manchester United two weeks ago and is the most successful manager in British football history.

The deal to appoint a successor has already been done and approved by the club's board, understands Sky News City Editor Mark Kleinman.

An announcement is expected within days, with Sky sources saying Everton boss David Moyes is in "pole position" to get the job.

Ferguson, 71, will stay at Manchester United as a director and an ambassador, but now has just two games left with the famous club.

His final game, away to West Brom on May 19, will be his 1,500th in charge.

"With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future," said Ferguson.

"I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential."