'Cloroforma' Diaz thinks he'll put Gethin to sleep

Mofo2

Panamanian assassin, Ammeth Diaz, believes he has what it takes to dispatch Martin Gethin (24-3-1) inside the distance when the pair meet on Friday evening.

Diaz (31-11) takes on the British lightweight champion at Walsall Town Hall in an IBF final eliminator with the winner earning the right to fight current IBF champion, Miguel Vazquez.

Diaz can punch and 22 of his 31 wins have come by way of knockout. It is this power that has earned him the nickname “Cloroforma†- because of his ability to put his opponent to sleep - and he is convinced the same fate will befall Gethin.

“I'm very confident,†Diaz said. “I'm coming to England to do my job and I think I'll knock him out before the end of the twelve rounds.

“I've seen plenty of fights of Martin Gethin, on video and on Youtube. He's a very strong boxer and I'm looking forward to the test. My trainer has been watching plenty of fights and working out the plan to beat him. We've seen plenty of weaknesses that we'll be working hard on. I won't give a lot away, but speed will be a big factor in beating Gethin.â€

Diaz arrived in the UK earlier this week for what will be his first fight on these shores. He’s no stranger to fighting on foreign soil though. The 29 year-old has boxed in South America, Caribbean, the USA and Australia during his 13-year professional career.

Although he is expecting a hostile reception from the partisan Walsall crowd; Diaz insists he won’t be fazed.

“I'm not worried about the crowd at all,†he added. “I've fought in plenty of countries and I have the experience to deal with it. “I'm really looking forward to boxing in England, it will be a great win for me in a foreign country.â€

Gethin and Diaz weigh-in this coming Thursday, 30th May at Walsall Town Hall at 1.00pm. The event is open to the general public.

Source: boxrec