The WBF World Soccer Thread

Mofo2

Bayern Munich break records on the way to winning title!

Here are some of the records broken and some they can still improve in the remaining six games.

Records broken this season:

Earliest Bundesliga champion: matchday 28

Best start to a season: eight straight wins

Most away wins in a season: 13

Most consecutive away games with clean sheets from start of season: five

Earliest unofficial mid-season champion at the halfway mark

Records they can still break this season: (current record holders in brackets)

Fewest goals conceded: 21 (Bayern Munich)

Most points in a season: 81 (Borussia Dortmund)

Biggest point difference: 16 (Bayern Munich)

Biggest goal difference: plus 64 (Bayern Munich)

AC Milan's maverick forward Mario Balotelli was caught smoking in the toilet on the train during the team's journey to Florence and will be fined, chief executive Adriano Galliani has said.

Balotelli was ticked off by a train guard for smoking in a toilet: "You need to pull his ears. He was smoking in the bathroom," Gazzetta dello Sport reported. Smoking is banned on Italian trains.

"I want to say that we're going to fine him," Galliani told the newspaper. Balotelli has scored seven goals in eight appearances and has managed to stay out of trouble since joining the club in January from Manchester City, where he was involved in a series of rows with manager Roberto Mancini. Milan, third in Serie A, were away to Fiorentina on Sunday.

A hat-trick from Cesc Fabregas and a double from Alexis Sanchez saw a makeshift Barcelona side thump struggling Mallorca 5-0 and restore their 13-point lead at the top of La Liga. Lionel Messi missed out by virtue of a hamstring injury picked up in the Champions League draw with Paris Saint-Germain during the week and Barca boss Tito Vilanova also left out David Villa and Xavi as they prepare for next week’s second leg. Barca had watched as second-placed rivals Real Madrid put five past Levante, but with just 12 points needed from eight games to take the league crown from Madrid it appears a question of when rather than if for Vilanova’s side.

A defensive masterclass from West Ham denied Liverpool victory in a well-contested Premier League clash at Anfield.Marshalled by the excellent James Collins, Sam Allardyce’s side somehow kept a free-flowing Liverpool at bay, and could well have nicked all three points but for a late goal-line clearance from Lucas. The result has little impact on the league standings, with Liverpool depending on an Everton defeat to move up to sixth, and West Ham seven points clear of the relegation zone.

It also means the Hammers have not won at Anfield since 1964, although this will be seen as a point well earned by the East Londoners.

Manchester City may be powerless to prevent the title returning to Manchester United but a stunning strike from Sergio Aguero ensured they were at least able to enjoy a 2-1 victory at Old Trafford. The win cuts United's lead to 12 points at the top of the table but with seven games remaining the gap is surely insurmountable, even despite Aguero's brilliant intervention in the Manchester derby.

James Milner put Roberto Mancini's side in front after 51 minutes as City exploited a lapse from Ryan Giggs, but United responded when Phil Jones headed against the unfortunate Vincent Kompany and in from a wicked Robin van Persie free-kick. Aguero, though, stole the show with a brilliant solo effort after 78 minutes, darting away from three markers before rifling an unstoppable shot past David De Gea and into the roof of the net. A hollow victory in terms of the title race perhaps, but it restores some pride after a difficult season for City and deals a substantial blow to United's hopes of beating Chelsea's record points tally of 95 from 2004-05.

Bayern Munich beat Juventus 2-0 for a second time to reach the Champions League semi-finals and stay on course for the treble.

Lionel Messi came off the bench to help rescue Barcelona's Champions League dream as a 1-1 draw with Paris Saint-Germain saw them into the last four on away goals.

Liverpool v reading team news

Jimmy Kebe is missing. Fellow midfielder Hope Akpan is a major doubt for the match because of an ankle injury sustained in last Saturday 2-0 defeat to Southampton. Royals boss Nigel Adkins said Reading have further niggles, but no other players are expected to be ruled out.

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling will be absent again as the club continue to manage the teenager's thigh injury. Winger Stewart Downing, who played in last weekend's goalless draw with West Ham despite illness, is now fully recovered. Forward Fabio Borini and midfielder Joe Allen (both shoulder) are sidelined, as is defender Martin Kelly (knee).

Paris Saint-Germain may be out of Europe, but they are still on course to win the domestic league and cup double for the first time, and go to Evian in the quarter-finals of the French Cup this midweek fresh from extending their lead at the top of Ligue 1 to nine points.

A 1-0 win at bottom club Troyes combined with a draw for second-placed Marseille at Lille allowed the capital club to open up that yawning gap with just six games remaining. If results go their way, there is a chance PSG could clinch their third championship title before the end of April.

The 27-year-old has been sidelined since February 12 with an abductor problem which required surgery.

Celtic face Brown's former club in the Hampden final on May 26 and the Scotland midfielder is hoping to make the showpiece occasion in which the Hoops will have Victor Wanyama and Beram Kayal missing from the engine room through suspension.

"I'm still a wee bit from training with the first team but, if everything goes well, hopefully I'll be back for the cup final," he said. "That's my target but it will be touch and go. It's going to be hard to get some game time in before it as well.

"I'm feeling quite good, I've been back running. It's been four weeks since the operation now and I will take things slowly.

"I know we have a couple of lads out, but we have a big squad that can deal with that. It will be the manager's decision. He will see me in training in the weeks leading up to it.

"I would need to be honest as it would take a place away from someone who is 100 per cent fit, especially with me not playing in so long.

"So the next couple of weeks will be huge for me to see if I can make that push for the cup final."

Robin van Persie scored a first-half hat-trick as Manchester United demolished Aston Villa to win their 20th league title with four matches left.

hehe round our way its a beating with a baseball bat :D

Same here but the beating with the bats are conducted after one gets out of prison  ;)

Andre Villas-Boas has been assured by Tottenham that Gareth Bale will remain at White Hart Lane next year if the club qualify for the Champions League.

• 3 months later...

Opening day results for the Premier league

Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd

Arsenal 1 - 3 Aston Villa

Liverpool 1 - 0 Stoke

Norwich 2 - 2 Everton

Sunderland 0 - 1 Fulham

West Brom 0 - 1 Southampton

• 1 year later...