Donaire continues to make excuses about his loss to Rigondeaux, though he says he's not making excuses

blackrican23

Nonito Donaire continues to fixate on his loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux, as he steadily makes excuses while also saying "no excuses" or whatever, and with HBO's recent decision to pass on Rigondeaux fights in the future, Donaire seems to feel somehow vindicated for losing to the Cuban in April.

Donaire says that unlike Rigondeaux, he fights to please the fans:

"No disrespect. The guy did a good job against me. I'm not taking anything away from him. I fight to entertain and he fights to score points," Donaire told BoxingScene.com.

"I'm not going change my fight. As a matter of fact I fight the way he does. That's my style. That's who I am. I'm a boxer but now I use my power to entertain. Being on TV you have to entertain. I think it's exciting. If I can get the one punch knockout I'm going for it. I think the fans deserve it regardless if I get a lot of negativity out of it."

What's odd about this statement is that Donaire sort of admits that he's not particularly entertaining, saying that he fights the way that Rigondeaux does -- which is true, more or less -- but also seems to believe that consistently waiting for one-punch KO opportunities is, you know, "exciting."

Someone might tell him that's not the case. Sure, against Vic Darchinyan, Wladimir Sidorenko, Fernando Montiel, and Jorge Arce, it was entertaining as he smashed some quality foes whose lack of defense gave him the openings he needs.

But what about all his other fights? You can blame the opposition all you want, but here is Donaire openly admitting that this is what he does, and perhaps accidentally admitting that no, he's not an action fighter, which of course anyone can see by watching his fights, but we've been told for years that he's exciting, a highlight reel guy (he has a good highlight reel), and an action star. He's just not. He seems to know that. And yet he seems to think that doesn't matter?

Then again, he knows he lost clean and clear to Rigondeaux, and he seems to believe that HBO has basically erased that for him with their decision on Rigondeaux's future, so I guess maybe it's par for the course. Donaire is what he is, and that is a very good fighter. But he's not as good as Guillermo Rigondeaux, and nothing changes that until or unless he were to win a rematch.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/7/20/4541162/nonito-donaire-i-fight-to-entertain-rigondeaux-fights-to-score-points

you lose and move on , keep saying " no excuses" and keep making a ton

only one solution , re-match , if you not chasing it then stfu

oooooooh joshy must be posting with his xtra small TapOut  tee shirt on today , poser level is at extreme :lolatyou

Donaire wanted the smaller Rigo to stand and trade with him, I always had a bad feeling about the guy he had 3 good wins and Max tried to compare him to Floyd and Ward.

The question is was he he struggling to make the weight as he has suggested, if so his excuses could be legitimate reasons don't ya think??

The question is was he he struggling to make the weight as he has suggested, if so his excuses could be legitimate reasons don't ya think??

was it the weight? , the shoulder? the baby? I am behind on the excuses

Excuses can be justied if you believe he has had the issues he has encountered affected his performance, we can't dismiss this everytime a fighter says this type of thing it could well be true!

Excuses can be justied if you believe he has had the issues he has encountered affected his performance, we can't dismiss this everytime a fighter says this type of thing it could well be true!

well lets pick one to justify FFS , the problem lies into the multiple excuses that pop up in different interviews

you lay claim to the weight , IMO the shoulder would be more problematic , but he claims unfocused cause his wife was having a baby, lets call a spade a spade

well lets pick one to justify FFS , the problem lies into the multiple excuses that pop up in different interviews

you lay claim to the weight , IMO the shoulder would be more problematic , but he claims unfocused cause his wife was having a baby, lets call a spade a spade

So you have never had multiple issues going on in your life that fucked with your head and left you below par??

Not really he picked the weight so anything about struggling to make weight is on him, if I'm Rigo I'd offer him the rematch at 126.

Opting for a weight does not mean you don't have difficulties making it!

not convenient  ones , most issues knock you off before hand , his amazingly happen after hand picking his opponent and then claim  issues were on going a while ,but when your winning no need to talk about them ?

typical of most fighters put why should he get a pass and others not?

not convenient  ones , most issues knock you off before hand , his amazingly happen after hand picking his opponent and then claim  issues were on going a while ,but when your winning no need to talk about them ?

typical of most fighters put why should he get a pass and others not?

I tend to have the same opinion over most TBF and Donaire ain't a fighter I follow, I seem to recall having this type of debate over khan and Haye me thinks :coffee

no pass for the toe mate , regardless

Khan on the other hand has really not made excuses , he just acts as if things never happened

Of the 3 impressive Montiel and Vic were little guys who fought brave, the idea that he was number 3 p4p in the world was truly embarrassing, he beat guys who were near retirement and the boxing media acted like it was great.

I dunno he is still a top quality fighter, just one who happens to have taken a lot of shit since the defeat

He blamed Ramadan for losing to Prescott, that would be like a Catholic fighter blaming fasting for a loss.

Than he blamed the ref for his Peterson loss, I think he blamed judges to.

didn't know the Prescott one , but he spoke the truth about the Peterson fight

Yeah I remember last year criticizing Donaire last year was like criticizing GGG this year, if you do it people claim you were trolling, now everyone dumps on Donaire even on Top Rank sites. I just wish he would go to 126 where he belongs.

Yeah so many jumped on the bandwagon and went a litte far in defence of him over the past year or two, but now the wolves are out, he needs to be judged on how he bounces back after the defeat now, not because of it!

He blamed Ramadan for losing to Prescott, that would be like a Catholic fighter blaming fasting for a loss.

Than he blamed the ref for his Peterson loss, I think he blamed judges to.

He should just have blamed the Peds ehhhh