Marlon Starling: "Ward and Mayweather are beatable in my era"

Slayer

• Members

Mayweather and Ward are no comparison to the fighters of the early 80s...Ward C level...GTFOH that's complete bollocks!

I agree with that to an extent, because back then you had Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Curry, Starling, McCallum...if you compare that to these guys today, it really is an overwhelming difference, isnt it? Even Mayweather and Ward would be underdogs against these guys.

• WBF OG

hmmm, canelo vs gman, duran, leonard, hearns, bodysnatcher, julian jackson

i disagree....today's batch is better.

• Members

hmmm, canelo vs gman, duran, leonard, hearns, bodysnatcher, julian jackson

i disagree....today's batch is better.

:D No doubt.

I agree with that to an extent, because back then you had Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Curry, Starling, McCallum...if you compare that to these guys today, it really is an overwhelming difference, isnt it? Even Mayweather and Ward would be underdogs against these guys.

Mayweather ain't an underdog to any fighter that has come before him, Floyd is amongst the best fighters that have Ever graced the sport, as for Ward his style is difficult to break down he is extremely effective, so to put him C level is nonsense, he would be competing against stand up fighters and would mostly tie them up, he is right up there with any of them at this point in his career!

• Members

Mayweather ain't an underdog to any fighter that has come before him, Floyd is amongst the best fighters that have Ever graced the sport, as for Ward his style is difficult to break down he is extremely effective, so to put him C level is nonsense, he would be competing against stand up fighters and would mostly tie them up, he is right up there with any of them at this point in his career!

Nobody said Ward is C level...did they?? And HOW can you know how great Floyd is when he's never fought THIS kind of fighters? Even DLH and Mosley that he beat were only pale shadows of their selves.

I believe in most sports including boxing, athletes are generally getting better. I hate these types of discussions because you have no basis to compare. Records don't mean anything, you can only base this on competition. How a boxer performed against someone in the 80's cannot compare to how they would do against the boxers of today.

What we can say is that boxing had more appeal in the 80's and gave us more reasons to cheers for the stars of that era, the fights were also more exciting...thats about it.

I'd like to see Obama's reply to this.:rofl He was always adamant that the older fighters were so much better than the newer ones.

• WBF OG

xeno, i always use today's champ as an example....canelo.

you think he'd last more than 4 rounds with duran, leonard, hearns, jackson, mcclellan and/or julian jackson?

Ward was put as C level in the tape

• Members

Ward was put as C level in the tape

Well ofc people like Starling do feel a bit...sore that these guys are getting thrice as much money as he did, despite not being better than him. He overdid it with that comment but otherwise he was pretty spot on.

Well ofc people like Starling do feel a bit...sore that these guys are getting thrice as much money as he did, despite not being better than him. He overdid it with that comment but otherwise he was pretty spot on.

Over did it a bit, putting Ward at C level in the 80s is as fucked up as it gets!

Over did it a bit, putting Ward at C level in the 80s is as fucked up as it gets!

it will be a long line of the 80's era fighters piggybacking off what true greats like a Duran , sugar Ray, Chavez etc have said

its laughable the fighters that believe they fit in the category now , but even funnier guys that didn't even see that era support it :fp

it will be a long line of the 80's era fighters piggybacking off what true greats like a Duran , sugar Ray, Chavez etc have said

its laughable the fighters that believe they fit in the category now , but even funnier guys that didn't even see that era support it :fp

Mayweather and Ward do well in any era for sure!