Lennox Lewis Slaps Mike Tyson Fans Down on Twitter

blackrican23

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, who knocked out a diminished version of Mike Tyson back in 2002, told fans via Twitter on Tuesday that he'd have beaten any version of Tyson ever.

The debate started off when a fan tweeted a question to Lewis asking how the bout would have gone had both fighters met during in their prime years.

"The same," Lewis replied.

"I'd have to dispute that, no disrespect to you," argued a particularly passionate Tyson fan. "You beat everything that was put in front of you, but Tyson was a different level."

Lewis simply wasn't having it.

"Really?" asked the heavyweight champion of social media. "So tell me...when was his prime?"

Next up, Lewis tagged Mike Tyson into the conversation and told him he was about to have a debate with fans about whether or not Tyson would've KO'd Lewis in his prime.

"First, let's establish his prime years," said Lewis. "What were they?"

When the particularly passionate Tyson fan in question didn't reply fast enough, Lewis filled in the dates for him.

"

If you say 1985-1990 Tyson, we would have never fought. I was an amateur until 1989. When I was going for gold in the Olympics, Mike Tyson was conquering the heavyweight division."

Lewis told fans he never would've faced Tyson in the 1980s anyways, and that the two never would have fought while Tyson was in his prime unless "Tyson pulled an Ali-Spinks." Moreover, Lewis took umbrage to those saying Tyson's competition during that time was better than what Lewis faced during his runs as champion in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

"He never faced anyone like me," said Lewis. "So knocking out Mike Spinks is quite different."

Lewis said Tyson's win over Larry Holmes couldn't really be counted, and that the other guys Tyson fought when unifying titles in 86-87 "were solid fighters...but not of historical levels."

Lewis ended things by saying he recognized Tyson's accomplishments as one of the best heavyweights in history.

"He was a great fighter and youngest [heavyweight] champ ever," said Lewis. "Mike and I made history together and apart. That can't be taken away from either of us. Me versus Mike Tyson, prime vs. prime, is no more reality than me vs. Jack Johnson. We made history together. [That's] all that counts."

Well that, it seems, and laying the wood to fans on Twitter who disagree with him.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/17050-lennox-lewis-slaps-mike-tyson-fans-down-on-twitter

• Members

I agree. He was an animal. He was so fast! Just watching him move makes me jealous. I suppose if Lewis survived the first 6 rounds, he would stand a decent chance? IF!

Prime Iron Mike would have brutally beaten Lewis, plain and simple.

Prime Mike Tyson beats any HW that come before or after him!

Just a reminder we are talking "prime" and when Mike was in his prime he was a great force to reckon with, Lewis would hold his own for a bit but the speed, side lateral movements, power and hand speed wod eventually take a toll on him.

Just a reminder we are talking "prime" and when Mike was in his prime he was a great force to reckon with, Lewis would hold his own for a bit but the speed, side lateral movements, power and hand speed wod eventually take a toll on him.

oh I agree G just don't think Prime Mike beats any heavyweight tho, think most on this board see mike beating Lewis

• Members

Lewis KNOWS he couldn't beat Mike in his prime, so he tries his kind of logic instead. Word bending never does the trick, Lennox!

oh I agree G just don't think Prime Mike beats any heavyweight tho, think most on this board see mike beating Lewis

I don't see who beats him, I've not known any HW be able to explode out the blocks with such raw force the way Mike did, his movement and speed were incredible, I'm absolutely convinced anyone prime for Prime gets an ass whooping!

• Members

I don't see who beats him, I've not known any HW be able to explode out the blocks with such raw force the way Mike did, his movement and speed were incredible, I'm absolutely convinced anyone prime for Prime gets an ass whooping!

Maybe Liston...or Dempsey. Not Marciano tho, I doubt it. Too small.

well we know for sure Buster beats a prime Tyson , because it happened. excuses don't matter that was Tysons prime

the 19 yr old Tyson that beat berbick vs the 22 yr old Ali that beat liston I is about right down the middle , Ali had EVERY TOOL needed to handle Tyson any version

while I don't really like to talk about fighters outside eras I didn't see the brown bomber Joe Louis seemed an absolute beautiful fighter

now Tysons "prime" was 4 years ? 86-90 ? a lot of Dave Jacos and pinklon Thomas types in that run. Quick tillis showed that while prime Mike was fast , he was very easy to tie up and smother, who was the master of tying up and smother none other than Ali  and Ali had the jab needed to fluster Mike like Buster showed was needed

Mike was an amazing combo of speed and power  but there is plenty of holes in prime Mike

• Members

It seems Tyson's skills deterioriated after Rooney was fired...he didnt look the same vs Bruno for instance, as he did vs Holmes or Tubbs or Tucker. TNT Tucker did give him a fight however. So Id say his PEAK prime was between 86 and 88.