Cleverley to leave boxing for a bit

Mofo2

Former WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly has admitted that his career in boxing could be over after the Welshman suffered a heartbreaking knockout defeat to Russian power-puncher Sergey Kovalev in Cardiff.

The 26 year-old, who has a degree in Mathematics, lost for the first time on Saturday night whilst on the cusp of a massive unification with American legend Bernard Hopkins and will now take stock before making a final decision.

"I could leave it there or give it another go," Cleverly told Wales Online's Gareth Rogers. "I will have a holiday now and recover and see where I go from here and see what I want to do in life now.

"I will go away and live a normal life for a bit now. Just leave boxing for a bit - it has been an intense period.

"You know six weeks into that where you want to go. Your instincts tell you if you are missing boxing, or are you going to find another career path. Who knows where my heart is going to lie?

"If I continue, I will come back and give it a go. But the background I have got and the brain I have got, do I really need to continue? It could go either way, my career."

• Members

Less forgettable than all of our careers. :) It is his choice and making the best decision for him doesn't mean anything except that he made what he thought was the best decision.

exactly, if his heart ain't in it why the fuck carry on

So he goes from being the best out their in his own mind to just being fit for the scrap heap because of a Bad defeat??? I know fighters say some dumb shit because hey are gutted at being beaten up, but come onnnnn he still Has the tools to be very competitive in the division, the defeat has only shown that the hype surrounding him was way too much not that he is useless!

he's got his degree tho Mofo and can earn a decent living that way, if he feels he's done what he wanted in boxing then i think its the best decision for him to make, what should he do? just keep fighting for money?

If you have the tools to keep fighting for the money damned right he should keep going for it, this isn't a washed up chump or ex world level fighter who has had his best days ten years back, this is a young athlete mind fucked the first time he has suffered a set back, set yourself up for life by doing what you do best and then move onto something else that will keep you busy and maintain a lifestyle when your careers done and whilst you are doing it the enthusiasm returns.....I Can't stand the fucker but I'm looking at this through the eyes of a boxing fan who is bewildered that a young fighter would throw away a career over a defeat!

• Members

Next thing will be him joining the cast of East Enders. :pms Playing a former boxer whose career got sidelined, a tailor made role for him. All melodrama.

Next thing will be him joining the cast of East Enders. :pms Playing a former boxer whose career got sidelined, a tailor made role for him. All melodrama.

:D

• Members

you finally found a job you lazy fat bastard?

Er, yes but even if I didn't, everybody gets deducted for taxes, if they receive any kind of money from the state. Thought u knew this.:coffee