Andre Ward: Edwin Rodriguez’s team is asking for $1million

Mofo2

WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (26-0, 14 KO’s) says that unbeaten, #1 WBC, #3 WBA, #3 IBF, #6 WBO, Edwin Rodriguez (24-0, 16 KO’s) wants $1 million plus in order for Ward to face him in what would be pretty much little more than a high caliber tune-up bout on HBO. Ward says his team already gave Rodriguez a perfectly reasonable offer, which wasn’t far from what Rodriguez’s team wants, but it was turned down. Rodriguez won’t get the $1 million plus that he’s asking for, says Ward.

Ward told RingTV “We put up a number, and the number is more than Rodriguez made in his last fight, and it’s more than he’s made in his whole career, and it’s a good number. But his team is asking for $1 million plus, and that’s just not going to happen.â€

Read more at http://www.boxingnews24.com/2013/08/andre-ward-edwin-rodriguezs-team-is-asking-for-1-million-plus-for-fight/#fjUUGFScE66bZuTq.99

Look blokes it's really simple, these guys are bidding/expecting high for a reason. let me give you a simple example.

If I am selling an item, the item's worth to me is $10. dollars, so I am going to ask for $15. knowing $10 will work but I raise the price just a bit, Interested party make me an offer of $13. I knowing all I want is $10. accept the offer and make an extra $3. :tup

Agreed thats how it works G, however in this case he is worth the bucks, Ward will make 2/3 times more! so what is wrong with him wanting a bigger slice of the Pie?

In boxing you have to have leverage to pull the okey doke . Usually networks are spending X  amount of dollars period , can a fighter get a few more bucks ? rarely unless they have leverage... the split is 70-30 for champion usually if you have some barging power maybe 60/40

what exactly has Rodriquez done to get a million dollar purse? if his 30% is 1 mill then wards 70% is 2.5 mil , does anybody think HBO is paying 3.5 million for Ward vs Rodriquez?

this is not some department store merchandise or swap meet when your selling X for 15 but will take 10 but are shooting 13 , you still have to prove the products worth to get any amount for it , in boxing the value  already has been determined

does anybody have a figure of what Stevens ended up getting for GGG after turning down 300K? Stevens had a LITTLE bit of leverage coming off a tv KO and engaging in the calling out and negotiations all with in days. how much more than his worth did it get him?  

Rodriquez last fight , Grachev, very good win possibly best of Rodriquez career , who saw it?( Of course I did )  Rodriquez last 4 tv fights were snoozers , who the hell would pay him a million ? the number is more than Rodriguez made in his last fight, and it’s more than he’s made in his whole career

I am all for getting as much money as you can , but when the offers is  too good to begin with and then you started balking to a point of turning it down is a joke, I mean if you make 700K and lose to Ward is your career over? hardly

You gotta believe your worth in fights and hold out for the right deal, it's not as though he is turning down multi millions!

hes turning down the biggest payday of his career , with 2 very sick kids at home.  can he make a million against ANY fighter besides Ward ? Nope but If he beats Ward THEN your making the money, seems 700k is the right deal , actually 500k is too

Keep in mind the figures stated are not the final in his bank account figures, he has to pay taxes, his team etc, so in order to truly get the offered amount in the bank one must ask for more..

hes turning down the biggest payday of his career , with 2 very sick kids at home.  can he make a million against ANY fighter besides Ward ? nope If he beats Ward THEN your making the money, seems 700k is the right deal , actually 500k is too

It all comes down to what an individual sees as fair, obviously he feels with two men in the ring that 3/4 times more than himself isn't a good deal!

Keep in mind the figures stated are not the final in his bank account figures, he has to pay taxes, his team etc, so in order to truly get the offered amount in the bank one must ask for more..

same goes for the A side fighter :tup

It all comes down to what an individual sees as fair, obviously he feels with two men in the ring that 3/4 times more than himself isn't a good deal!

see that's it to determine fairness you see what other more established guys were paid against ward , like this for example  

Purses for the main event: Andre Ward $900,000 and Froch $600,000

That was two years back, Ward and Froch both generate more money now!

that has nothing to do with Edwin Rodriquez , a few years back Froch / Ward was a 1.5 mill unification match and tournament championship , what does Rodriquez bring that he should be getting a million just himself?

That was two years back, Ward and Froch both generate more money now!

Agreed! the cost of living 3 years ago was different as opposed to the current.

Agreed! the cost of living 3 years ago was different as opposed to the current.

what does that have to do with what Rodriquez brings to the table? so just based on what you said 700k ( if that's the offer) is more than adjusted for cost of living nowdays

Ward barely got a over a million against dawson in his last fight 1,367,500

Dawson was reigning light heavy weight champ , a hell of a lot bigger name then Rodriquez with a lot more to bring to the table got ?????? 600,000 K

silly to be defending Rodriquez asking a mill plus :pms

Ward barely got a over a million against dawson in his last fight 1,367,500

Dawson was reigning light heavy weight champ , a hell of a lot bigger name then Rodriquez with a lot more to bring to the table got ?????? 600,000 K

silly to be defending Rodriquez asking a mill plus :pms

It aint silly at all, revenues in boxing change frequently so comparing is he last thing it is sensible to do!

Agreed thats how it works G, however in this case he is worth the bucks, Ward will make 2/3 times more! so what is wrong with him wanting a bigger slice of the Pie?

its called pricing yourself out VERY common in boxing

so tell me what has Rodriquez done that makes him worth a million dollar payday again :chin

It aint silly at all, revenues in boxing change frequently so comparing is he last thing it is sensible to do!

yes it is very silly

we have said fighter, see said fighters accomplishments, see other fighters that bought more into fights with Ward and what the value was

stop trying to blanket it as ' boxing"

the thread is specific about which fighter is involved

yes it is very silly

we have said fighter, see said fighters accomplishments, see other fighters that bought more into fights with Ward and what the value was

stop trying to blanket it as ' boxing"

the thread is specific about which fighter is involved

These issues occur with other fighters also, besides this is a boxing forum that discusses boxing topics, since when have we Been that rigid that a point cannot be expanded on?

don't understand your logic

the thread was about Edwin Rodriquez , you posted that he deserved the pay day , so when pressed about why he does , your now talking about other fighters? and discussion? you cant even discuss said fighter who is asking for million dollars

maybe topic should have been about all fighters :meh surely we all agree every fighter deserves the best offer , but not a lot of guys turning down 600-700K paydays when its fair money

maybe we shouldn't have threads about any specific topic/person at all and just ramble on to hear yourself ramble , that's real discussion at a boxing forum :ltup

Uhhhhhhhhh! you blokes need to recall this thread I made a few moons back >> Click it <<

Doesnt make a difference G....Rodriguez is supposed to lie down and take it up the ass, because he had the audacity to ask for a million bucks! The guy is an unbeaten fighter that's putting himself on the line against one of the top p4p fighters in the World but it seems any offer made he should take in some peep eyes!