Danny Garcia Drops, Decisions Matthysse To Retain

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - Danny Garcia (27-0, 16KOs) fought his heart out, dropping Lucas Matthysse (34-3, 32KOs) in the eleventh and winning a twelve round unanimous decision to retain the WBC/WBA junior welterweight titles. The scores were 115-111, 114-112, 114-112.

Garcia started off by his using his movement and looked to counter. Matthysse applied the pressure and came forward, with both looking to land big shots. Matthysse landed a good shot on Garcia, who took it well and looked to counter. Matthysse got the better of the action in the second with a few well-placed shots. The third was close and could have went either way.  Garcia did very well in the fourth, countering off the back-foot and landed hard shots to Matthysse's head and body. Matthysse edged the fifth with a last minute flurry of punches. Both had their moments in the sixth, with Garcia going often to the body as Matthysse targeted the head.

In the seventh, Matthysse's right eye started swelling up very badly after Garcia landed a hard shot to the area. Garcia was trying to target the eye during the action, as Matthysse looked for big bombs. Garcia was catching Matthysse with big hooks in the eight. It appeared that Matthysse was unable to see the punches coming due to his closing right eye. Garcia continued to pack up the points in the ninth. He was outworking and outlanding the challenger. Garcia was still coming on in the tenth. Matthysse lost some of his snap but he continued to come forward and threw a lot of punches.

At the start of the eleventh, Matthysse came out throwing big punches with both hands and had Garcia on the run. During an exchange against the ropes, Garcia landed a series of punches to send Matthysse down in a round he was likely winning. Garcia landed a good flurry to close things out. Matthysse was hunting for a big shot in the twelfth, with Garcia coasting at times and trying to counter at others. Garcia may have cost himself the round when he hit Matthysse low and the referee Tony Weeks took away a point. Once the fight restarted, Garcia wanted to go to war and the two of them were winging bombs with both hands as the crowd stood up to cheer them on until the final bell.

yeah shame on that , Lucas pulling his head down caused punches to get low , the one was late was bad costing point I don't think danny was risking points that late on purpose

anyhow Mattyesse trip directly to the hospital was because his jaw being fucked and his eye being massacred low blows didn't do that

That KD was a bit suspect, it was not clean and shit was more of a behind the head punch with a little pushing assistance to make him go down, but it is what it is.

That KD was a bit suspect, it was not clean and shit was more of a behind the head punch with a little pushing assistance to make him go down, but it is what it is.

I agree unless the shot on top of the head was the one , not very clean but the guy knocked down seemed to agree

• Members

Fair play to Garcia though, he pulled another good win out of the bag!

What are you talking about? That wasn't a good win. That was his normal, shady, shitty, I suck at boxing so I am going to slow the other boxer down with illegal blows win....

What are you talking about? That wasn't a good win. That was his normal, shady, shitty, I suck at boxing so I am going to slow the other boxer down with illegal blows win....

boy you sound like you know what your talking about :madlol

how many times have you seen Danny fight?

• Members

I can't remember any of his fights specifically off the top of my head. I just know that I remember feeling like he is a dirty fighter. Perhaps not on purpose, but it does happen.

• Members

Now we all know how Matthysse could get robbed against Alexander and Judah-I guess he slacks off too much. Or, if he doesn't get his rhythm going early enough and stops the guy, then he gets outboxed. Not that he got OUTBOXED by those two aforementioned guys. But he didn't do enough to impress the judges, to win beyond doubt.

I can't remember any of his fights specifically off the top of my head. I just know that I remember feeling like he is a dirty fighter. Perhaps not on purpose, but it does happen.

That's why I asked , with the prior fights I have seen he hasn't been a dirty fighter you seemed to act like he was Tito Trinidad

Garcia has shown that he has the ability to get into a rough fight and has good hands and intelligence to  be able to control the tempo by doing what ever he needs to, so ive underrated the kid for sure and he and  his old man are still wankers but he aint a dirty fighter steve!!