Burns wants Beltran Rematch

Mofo2

What makes Boxing so different from other sports is that its competitors are driven on by that urge to right wrongs.

Boxers that are defeated often declare an urge to avenge that defeat whilst others that got the right end of a dubious decision seem to have no qualms about setting the record right.

Recently we’ve witnessed David Price try to get revenge on Tony Thompson but suffering the same consequence, namely, a knockout defeat.

Now, having been given the verdict against Raymundo Beltran, there are noises coming from the Ricky Burns camp that Burns, once he has recovered from the broken jaw injury inflicted by Beltran, wants to show that he is a class above his challenger.

Talking about the prospect, Burns has remarked to the media,

'I think it's only right to fight Raymundo again.'

'I think it's the fight the fans want to see.'

'I've been doing light training and hopefully I'll be back boxing in five to six weeks.

'Once I start sparring and the jaw has taken a couple of skelps, I'll be more confident with it.'

'My jaw is on the mend.'

'It's healing the way it should.

'I think people knew that wasn't the real me in that ring. I was in survival mode from the second round.â€

All fair comments and continuing to push the prospect of a re-match, Burns promoter Eddie Hearn added,

'I think he deserves his shot and, more importantly, Ricky wants to put the record straight.â€

The key now is the rehabilitation of Ricky Burns. We can't rush things. We really won't know until he is back in sparring, taking blows on that jaw again

• Members

Yea, nice thinking. Why not get fucked up even worse this time!:stir But its brave of him to want a rematch. Wish more titleholders today felt and acted the same, very commendable.

Ricky is doing the decent thing here, many fighters who took the type of beating he did and steal a result never go anywhere near a rematch!

• Members

Ricky is doing the decent thing here, many fighters who took the type of beating he did and steal a result never go anywhere near a rematch!

Aye. And wtf is wrong with the forum, I tried to reply to your post first and it went dead on me! :facepalm Thats why I had to post it as a quote the second time, didn't want to bloody do it allover again. But unfortunately, you just can't copy your text and paste it anymore-thats really STUPID!

• WBF OG

If I was beltran, I'd say, "Sure, I'll fight you again, but first you have to admit to the world that you lost."

If I was beltran, I'd say, "Sure, I'll fight you again, but first you have to admit to the world that you lost."

Yeah right and Beltran wont take a fight unless Burns says he got beaten by him....he would snap Rickys hand off without question!

Aye. And wtf is wrong with the forum, I tried to reply to your post first and it went dead on me! :facepalm Thats why I had to post it as a quote the second time, didn't want to bloody do it allover again. But unfortunately, you just can't copy your text and paste it anymore-thats really STUPID!

G did a number of upgrades and it changed all sorts of things, but that's a new one on me< PM G and mention it to him!

I seriously doubt we see this rematch, burns' people know he got off lucky and will move foward with the crawford fight.

Ricky is true to his word, im sure he will, but that's on condition of health because the break was so bad he might struggle to get back!!

• Members

Ricky is true to his word, im sure he will, but that's on condition of health because the break was so bad he might struggle to get back!!

We'll see.:cop

• Members

Ricky also said he wanted a fight with Broner & when he did i knew it would never happen, i have a similar feeling here.

Lol. I wouldn't believe anyone of these today's boxers, they often say one thing and later try to pretend like they never said it, like when they call out a guy and then that guy scores an impressive victory over someone and they just stop calling him out.

Ricky also said he wanted a fight with Broner & when he did i knew it would never happen, i have a similar feeling here.

This is a completely different situation!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ricky Burns got wasted good and proper, he now has a titanium plate holding his jaw together.

IF he comes back then Beltran is an obvious choice. Ricky has something to prove and yes Beltran will bite his hand off for another shot.

As a fellow Scot and knowing a bit about Ricky's psyche he knows he got beat and well beat and he NEEDS to reverse that to prove himself on the world stage.

Again it's not when he fights again but IF he fights again then yes I see Beltran being that opponent

Hey Gordon! Remember me? Been a long time. :wave:

Again it's not when he fights again but IF he fights again then yes I see Beltran being that opponent

Agreed Gordon, the damage he sustained carrying on could be the end of him!!

• Members

Didn't think much of the Mitchell fight personally (then again I don't think much of Mitchell), his fight with Moses was sleep inducing, the Katsidis one was watchable but not "exciting", the Cook fight was a farce, Laryea was a joke defense, Evensen wasn't great. The Gonzalez fight was "watchable" but again I wouldn't describe it as exciting personally.

Evensen had him backed up and on the defensive for much of the fight. That fight was closer than the scorecards indicated.