Rios failed drug test after Pacquiao fight

GRIM

Welterweight Brandon Rios failed his post fight drug test after losing his PPV clash against Manny Pacquiao on November 23 in Macao, China. Pacquiao and Rios were both randomly tested by VADA and according to Ringtv, Rios tested dirty for a dietary supplement known as Methylhexanamine or DMAA. Pacman was clean all the way through.

Source:  

The plot thickens

SAN ANTONIO -- Former lightweight titlist Brandon Rios, who agreed to random drug testing by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association for his Nov. 23 welterweight showdown with Manny Pacquiao in Macau, China, failed his postfight drug test.

Rios, who lost a shutout decision in a non-competitive fight with Pacquiao, tested positive for the banned stimulant Methylhexaneamine, often used as a dietary supplement but also a performance-enhancing drug.

"Mr. Rios did not successfully complete the VADA program," Dr. Margaret Goodman, who heads VADA, told ESPN.com on Friday.

Rios was notified shortly after the fight and, according to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, he already has been suspended by the Macau commission that regulated the fight. Arum said he thought the suspension was for five or six months, but was unsure.

"I can say unequivocally that it was not a steroid-related substance," Arum told ESPN.com. "It was some substance that was like a minor kind of thing that you're not supposed to take, something you take for weight loss, like a diuretic. They say it's not a steroid but it was something you should not have in your urine after a fight. So it went to the [Macau] commission that was in charge of the fight and they gave him a suspension. He is allowed to appeal."

The Macau commission was set up by the WBO to oversee the fight, since China does not have a commission that oversees professional boxing. The WBO sanctioned the fight for one of its regional titles.

Ring magazine earlier reported the failed test on its website on Friday.

Arum blamed Alex Ariza, Rios' strength and conditioning coach, for the failed test.

"Brandon had the genius, Ariza, trying to help him make weight," Arum said. "It is not the fighter's fault. It's the people who are conditioning him. He's following orders on what to eat and drink, so I don't blame him. Brandon's not a nutritionist. It's generally the conditioner's fault if the kid doesn't make weight. This is Ariza's fault.

• Members

Are there consequences for this?  ..

And really?  The fighter has no responsibility for knowing what substance they are ingesting?? Bullshit. :shit

Are there consequences for this?  ..

Boxers claim stupidity/ignorance all the time. They never know what they are putting into their bodies they just swallow what ever they are given. Or they are not aware of the plaster and anvil grade iron being applied to their hand wraps.

Rios was suspended by the Chinese boxing commission so far, but thats about it for right now

• Members

LOL, plaster and iron!  

Garcia knows nothing( shocker!) but Arum blames Ariza & Rios is Lily white..  People are very willing not to have knowledge over the meds/substances they ingest (laziness?)...but if you are a pro boxer perhaps you could google the shit you are told to take by your trainer? hmm...Ignorance is awfully convenient  :smokey ...

Rios replies back vVADA Was Unprepared, They F***ed Up!

By Chris Robinson

On Friday, Dec. 13, the boxing world was caught off guard when it was revealed that former lightweight titlist Brandon Rios had failed his post-fight drug test following his defeat to Manny Pacquiao.

Rios, who dropped a unanimous decision to Pacquiao on Nov. 23 in Macau, China, was found to have traces of methylhexaneamine in his system. The drug is commonly associated with dietary purposes.

While not too much was heard from Rios in the wake of his failed test, he has since opened up on the issue.

As seen in a video by Elie Seckbach of ESNEWS, Rios explained his side of the story while speaking at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy on Tuesday afternoon.

The Kansas native claims that shortly after the match, as he was going to collect his check, he gave a urine sample for the Chinese commission.

Rios was then told by someone associated with VADA that he needed to give them a sample as well. Rios claims that the VADA representative was unprepared, however.

“We went to the press conference, did all that sh*t that we had to do and he should have had everything ready,” Rios stated. “We went to the room and I said ‘Dude, I’ve got to take a piss now.’ He said ‘Let me call them to get the stuff up here.’ What the f***, I’ve got to take a piss.”

Rios claims that he waited up to half an hour for the VADA representative to bring the necessary gear and was later caught off guard when he was told to give his sample in a random drinking glass.

“Now, take a piss in this glass cup, this drinking glass cup and when they come, we’ll transfer it into that plastic container and then we’ll transfer it into the A and B cups,” Rios reflected. “So I did that, they transferred and did all that sh*t, and all of a sudden I came out positive. And when I took the piss for the Chinese I came out negative. What the f***? That’s horrible.”

Always one to joke and play when in training, Rios showed a serious tone as he declared his innocence.

“The only thing that was in my system was testosterone, because I hadn’t f***ed for two weeks,” Rios said. “That was in my system.”

Rios feels the blame lies with VADA for not conducting the test as it was supposed to be.

“They f***ed up,” Rios declared. “They came to my room unprepared. They made me piss in a regular drinking glass. They’re trying to point fingers at other people but they don’t point the finger at themselves. It’s not just me; it’s a bad reputation on our team.”