Ricky Burns "My punch power is underestimated"

Mofo2

Ricky Burns says that he is not concerned by Jose Gonzalez’s KO ratio as he prepares to defend his WBO lightweight title in Betfair’s ‘Fighting Pride of Scotland’ on May 11 at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, live on Sky Sports.

The mandatory challenger comes to Scotland with 17 KOs from 22 wins and after Burns was floored by Gonzalez’s fellow Puerto Rican ‘Rocky’ Roman Martinez in the first round of their title clash in September 2010.

Burns showed true grit to climb off the canvas and rip the title from Martinez, and the 30 year old says he proved that night that he can handle anything thrown at him.

“His knockout ratio doesn’t concern me at all,†said Burns. “When I fought Martinez he was knocking everybody out and after the first round when I got caught clean I was fine. I have been in with big punchers before so I will just go in there and do what I have to do.

“I think Gonzalez is a totally different fighter [to Martinez]. He switch hits, he likes to catch you with a big left hook; when I have watched the footage on YouTube it seems to be the big left hook he has been knocking everybody out with. Styles make fights and although we have been working on a few other things which we think might work in this fight I won’t really know what way I am going to fight until that first bell goes.â€

Burns says footage of Gonzalez has been hard to track down for him and his trainer Billy Nelson, but the Coatbridge star says that he prefers to box sight unseen and believes his own power is underestimated, especially after his thrilling fourth round stoppage win over Kevin Mitchell in his last defence.

“We have been struggling to get any footage of his fights, the only things we can find on YouTube is him knocking boys out,†said Burns. “He is obviously a big puncher but I have been in with big punchers before so I will just have to make sure my hands are up and I go out there and do what I have been training to do.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74904&Itemid=261#ixzz2S4Rwn0dC

• Members

that mitchell ko was pure destruction  :war

Mitchell fought like a sissy and was stopped with over 20 punches, still only a second away from the bell...that shouldn't have been stopped so soon.

ricky is still basking in the Martinez win, we need to see more from him because until them he is merely another champion ducking quality fights!

• Members

Ricky would get beat by Michael Gomez if he fought Gomez while he was at his best, that I don't doubt for a second! And it would be a violent beatdown too.:stir Nicky Cook, I can also see him beating Burns.

• Members

He took care of Katsisdis when everyone thought it was as much a dangerous fight for him as the Martinez one.

PLEASE!Kats was as washed up as shit.

Mitchell fought like a sissy and was stopped with over 20 punches, still only a second away from the bell...that shouldn't have been stopped so soon.

The ref does not know the exact time and time left, if there is an 10 seconds warning he can use that to gauge but if the fighter is getting fucked up the ref has to do his job no matter what the time is, peep Taylor VS Chavez

He took care of Katsisdis when everyone thought it was as much a dangerous fight for him as the Martinez one.

No his fans said it was a dangerous one, the rest of us knew kats was already shot!

• Members

No his fans said it was a dangerous one, the rest of us knew kats was already shot!

Exactly! Kats got done in by his brother's death and JMM took what was left.:(

• Members

There's only ooonnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccckkkkyyyyyyy Buuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thank goodness for that.:stir

I got nothing against the lad, he is a nice kid but you have to look at his career path and it ain't as glorious as it could or should be!!

You can't blame Warren, he apparently didn't feel ready for Broner and he didn't get it on with Vasquez after that was sorted by Frank!!

He HID in the 130 division ffs! He was always a natural lightweight.:facepalm That alone makes him a coward.

That's a little unfair Slayer!!