Hooker TKOs Saucedo, retains WBO 140lb title

JosueB

• WBF OG

WBO junior welterweight world champion Maurice “Mighty Mo” Hooker (25-0-3, 17 KOs) retained his title with an impressive seventh round TKO over #1 contender and hometown favorite Alex “El Cholo” Saucedo (28-1, 18 KOs) on Friday night at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Saucedo thrilled the 4,102 local fans in attendance when he floored Hooker with a big right hand in round two. Hooker, however, regained his rhythm and the fight entered a familiar pattern. Saucedo marched forward and Hooker landed flush counter punches.

Eventually, Hooker took over, as cuts over Saucedo’s left eye opened up. Hooker was credited with a knockdown in the seventh when the ropes held up a reeling Saucedo. Hooker then pummeled Saucedo at will until the bout was stopped. Time was 1:36.

“Alex is a great fighter. He came to fight, and I came to fight, and I went right at him,” Hooker said. “I knew the first couple of rounds would be tough, but eventually it would be my time to take over.”

Said Saucedo: “He’s a champion for a reason. Now, I am going to rest, enjoy my family, and come back stronger. I gave it my very best in the ring.”

WBO welterweight champ Terence Crawford, IBF welterweight champ Errol Spence Jr., and WBC super lightweight champ Jose Ramirez were all in the house.

Fightnews.com