Ref Padilla Admits Cheating To Help Fellow Filipino, Pacquiao Win Bout

selij

Agence France-Presse (AFP)

Former boxing referee Carlos Padilla has admitted cheating to help fellow Filipino Manny Pacquiao defeat Australian Nedal "Skinny" Hussein in a fight more than two decades ago.

Pacquiao was 21 and a rising star when he went 10 rounds against Hussein for the WBC International super-bantamweight title near the Philippine capital Manila in 2000.

But in a stunning confession, Padilla -- known for refereeing the "Thrilla in Manila" between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier in 1975 -- said he helped Pacquiao secure victory by "prolonging" the standard 10-count when the Filipino was knocked down and left dazed in the fourth round.

"I am a Filipino and everybody is Filipino watching the fight, so I prolong the count. I know how to do it," Padilla, who was recently inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame, said in an interview posted on the World Boxing Council's YouTube page.

"When he get up I said to him 'hey are you okay?' -- and that's prolonging the fight," a smiling Padilla said.

Pacquiao later headbutted Hussein, leaving the Australian with a cut above his left eye.

But Padilla classified the head clash as a "punch". Pacquiao won by a technical knockout after the doctor stopped the fight due to Hussein's bleeding.

"I declare it a punch but it's (a headbutt)," Padilla said, which allowed the fight to continue.

"As a referee, that's the best way to do -- let the doctor stop the fight but they know that it's my fault."

Hussein, who was coached by Australian former world champion Jeff Fenech, said on Instagram that Padilla's admission was a "travesty and a true injustice".

"They should be held accountable for the sport we love," Hussein said in a post addressed to World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman.

Pacquiao did not immediately respond to AFP's requests for comment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• WBF OG

here's a video.

look at Manny's eyes as he's on his knees.  They really are cross-eyed.  The left hook wasn't that hard, either.

• Like 1

Here his daughter weighs in:

November 29, 2022

To the boxing community of the world:

My father is an 88-year-old man who is just that – old and aging!

Despite the fact that he has been living in the United States for decades, English remains his 2nd language. Communications can be misconstrued and well-intentioned words can be misinterpreted. The present situation is one such glaring example of what might have actually been said, (no pun intended), and what may have been taken out of context.

My father is a decent and honorable man. He dedicated his life to boxing and boxers and cared for them and their well-being, regardless of nationality or circumstance. He refereed numerous historic fights with the likes of Muhammad Ali, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, and many more fighters for the entirety of his career. He has since retired and has been out of the spotlight for as long as I can remember. Oh, but he loves to talk and entertain because like any other human, he still yearns to feel relevant.

I invite everyone to ask about Carlos Padilla among his peers: promoters, fighters, referees or anyone from his era and hopefully, you will learn about my father’s true character.

He does not need controversies at this very late stage in his life. I know I may sound biased, being the eldest child of six, but I believe that through his legacy, he has proven his worth and we, his family, would appreciate it if people respected his contributions to the boxing community he so loved, by giving him some well-deserved consideration.

Thank you!
Suzy Padilla Tuano

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GRIM said:

Ohhh! She wants it to all just go away like nothing ever happened :? His English is great to me also. 

Probably had a pay off since, when Pacroid hit the bigtime.

• Like 1

Well if anything this confirms boxing is very corrupt and it does not have to be big million dollar bribes, it could be as simple as a judge or ref that wants fighter A to win over fighter B. We have all seen the extra long 8 count and the extra step over here and step over there. I see it in the amateurs to a slighter non scandalous degree, for example a few times one of my fighters were getting lit up with punches, and the ref stops the action because my boxer's head gear strap is loose, but when they come to the corner for me to adjust it it's not loose, know what I mean :?  

• Like 1

• WBF OG
20 hours ago, GRIM said:

Ohhh! She wants it to all just go away like nothing ever happened :? His English is great to me also. 

Spin control at its best.  Too late!!!!

• Like 2