Khan confirms rise to welterweight

Mofo2

Amir Khan has confirmed that he will rise to welterweight for his next fight, which he hopes will be for a world title when he returns to the ring in December. Khan was recently dropped from No. 2 position in the WBC welterweight rankings, despite having never fought at 147lbs, when the organisation amended the list and removed the Bolton fighter from its top 15 at the level.

The 26-year-old was instead named No. 1 in the light-welterweight rankings, behind WBC titlist Danny Garcia and mandatory challenger Lucas Matthysse. However, following his defeat of Julio Diaz on April 27 - which was fought at a 143lb catchweight - Khan revealed it was highly unlikely he would fight at light-welterweight level again, citing recent struggles to drop down and make the 140lb weight. Khan has since declared his desire to move to welterweight in a bid to target undefeated star Floyd Mayweather Jr, and has confirmed he will return to the ring in the winter.

"I'm going to have a nice little break now with Ramadan coming up, but once I've done all that I'm looking at December 7," Khan told The Bolton News. "It'll be a step up to 147lbs and, hopefully, it'll be for a world title." The former WBA champion will make the trip to Atlantic City to watch younger brother Haroon Khan, who faces Vicente Medellin on Saturday in his second professional fight, his first on American soil.

"It's his second pro fight and I'm really looking forward to it," Khan said. "It's his first in America, so that's a big step for him. "It's all a learning curve for him at the moment. He's been training with Oliver (Harrison) and really looking strong. He's listening and learning all the time. "You pick out things in his first fight that he'd probably change but it was exactly the same for me - you just keep working hard and he'll be fine."

Source: © ESPN EMEA Ltd

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/207496.html#1UJweZ6GRehyVT7J.99

• 2 weeks later...

he can't adapt, Hunter isn't a miracle worker, Khan is as one dimensional as Maidana just in a different way

what at 27 yrs old and 30+ professional bouts you don't think he can change :crackup your right!

Amir will surprise a few on the board for sure, to believe a World level Professional can not adapt his style is fucking absurd!

since his loss to Prescott he hasn't managed to adapt his style, what makes you think he will?

I disagree...I would say he has adapted his style, he fights more cautiously and uses his jab much more intelligently, his main issues are that his guard is still shite at times and he tries to punch way out of trouble instead of clinging on and spoiling!

so he's adapted very little from the Prescott fight then, he still gets caught when he is trying to land combo's even a slow Diaz had him going

That's not having adapted style, it's merely having more work to do to improve his guard!

Flaws aren't style...his fighting style has changed he just hasn't addressed his flaws fully as of yet but he will!

no flaws are not style, but you have to adapt your style to cover your flaws and Khans flaws are still obviously there almost 5 yrs after the Prescott fight, How long do you think its going to take him to address them Mofo?

It depends on hs willingness to work with new ideas, his guard certainly looks tighter just not tight enough!

so no definitive time scale for the adaptions that will cover his flaws then, if he takes another 5 yrs to address them his career is over

It won't take five years,possibly another fight or two!

Fanboys and their beliefs  :buttlicker

Not really....the improvement is there to be seen, however he is forgetting at times and is leaving himself open, he has had two fights under a new trainer and will work on it with him!

i'l believe it when i see it

Sceptics Nd haters tend to think that way, however I am of the thinking you cannot expect someone to change a careers worth of bad habits in a few months and a fight or two, it will have to be conditioned into him and he signs are there that he is at least looking to keep the guard better and utilise his jab more!

yeah thats how fan boys think, they see improvments that are very, very slim and think their much greater :)

I've said signs....I've not once tried to imply Khan has made Great steps forward, he clearly hasn't, however he has made improvement what else can I say but there is no logic to your hate :wave

you said he would of addressed his issues in 1 or 2 more fights in this very thread, now your saying he hasn't made great steps forward which is what i said all along :coffee

I've maintained Khan has improved under his regime change and will address his flaws over the next couple of fights...Rome most definitely wasn't built in a day and even though Amirs haters believe he should be able to build himself a new style within a short period of time, logic and reason tells us that a fighter has to work to improve his style over a period of time...I guess the hate goggles just run deep on some people :cheah

Yeah I read something on that, but didn't want to post it because there were no other sites reporting it!!

i'm liking the sound of that

I only post things that I or other sources can substantiate, So you should like that :coffee

I only post things that I or other sources can substantiate, So you should like that :coffee

what a crock of shit when you use Steve Kim as your main source  :pms

I think the only one I seen faster than you to post a rumor as fact is joshy b :shit  

what a crock of shit when you use Steve Kim as your main source  :pms

I think the only one I seen faster than you to post a rumor as fact is joshy b :shit

I used Steve Kim one time because the source forum he writes for was reliable....I find it odd you never pulled Neil up for using steve Kim as a reliable source a couple of days back though considering the fun you made out of me posting him :wave as for the rumour mill, I always include the word RUMOUR and never try to substantiate a claim, rumours cause discussion :wave

I used Steve Kim one time because the source forum he writes for was reliable....I find it odd you never pulled Neil up for using steve Kim as a reliable source a couple of days back though considering the fun you made out of me posting him :wave as for the rumour mill, I always include the word RUMOUR and never try to substantiate a claim, rumours cause discussion :wave

lol I take the piss with you on Kim TBH mostly because you don't know who he is :D he can be a reliable source mate but he loves to :stir  stir it up on twitter against certain fighters and camps. Kim isn't a breaking news guy if its breaking and its from him you gotta check his source because he will use a message board poster for that heck of causing uproar, but for some camps he can be an insider because of his website which has diminished

rumors just  lead  to multiple threads about the same fighter causing nauseating effects  of one fighters name and not really creating discussion per say but more pissing contests

lol I take the piss with you on Kim TBH mostly because you don't know who he is :D he can be a reliable source mate but he loves to :stir  stir it up on twitter against certain fighters and camps. Kim isn't a breaking news guy if its breaking and its from him you gotta check his source because he will use a message board poster for that heck of causing uproar, but for some camps he can be an insider because of his website which has diminished

rumors just  lead  to multiple threads about the same fighter causing nauseating effects  of one fighters name and not really creating discussion per say but more pissing contests

Fair enough mate you obviously no more about the guy than I do!