Antonio Margarito reportedly planning boxing comeback

blackrican23

134728830.0_standard_709.0.jpg

With financial difficulties stemming from a divorce, Antonio Margarito is reportedly planning a return to the boxing ring at age 35.

With one good eye and a messy divorce that hit him hard financially, Antonio Margarito is reportedly planning a boxing comeback at age 35, following a retirement last year that seemed to be in his best interests, health-wise.

From Edgar Gonzalez:

Rumor is that his divorce with Michelle, who is currently pregnant by a family friend, has become a nightmare, granting Michelle a multi-million settlement forcing the "Tijuana Tornado" to sell several of his assets.

With Margarito's new baby with his new girl, Lorena Vidales, he wants to take on a big-money fight to help him financially.

The Mexican fighter hasn't been in the ring since his December 2011 rematch loss to Miguel Cotto, which came by stoppage after 10 rounds, as the doctor ruled he could not continue with his previously injured eye swollen shut.

Margarito (38-8, 27 KO) hasn't really looked good in any fight since beating Cotto in 2008, a fight that has been seriously questioned since Margarito and ex-trainer Javier Capetillo were caught with illegal substances in their hand wraps prior to Margarito's 2009 loss to Shane Mosley. Since then, Margarito has gone 1-2, beating Roberto Garcia in Mexico before returning to the States for losses to Manny Pacquiao and Cotto.

So who can Margarito fight for big money? Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, I guess, but I don't know that there's any interest in that. Canelo Alvarez, too, but again, would anyone want to see that? Cotto is still worth money, but the same question applies again. A rematch with Mosley? No money in it.

Of course, I don't know what Margarito is considering a "big paycheck" right now.

The Pacquiao fight irreversibly harmed whatever future career Margarito had left, as the "Tijuana Tornado" took a vicious beating that left his right eye badly damaged, making it an easy target for Cotto, and it would seem for any fighter who ever fights him again. The eye is noticeably damaged and the surgery to repair the injuries has left it with a sort of "wandering" or "lazy" effect.

If Margarito does return, he may find it hard to pass medical exams in states like Nevada or even New York, which licensed him last time out, but did so with a lot of drama entirely because of the injury. An eye injury is nothing to play with, but boxing is the way that Margarito makes money. It's not a new story in the sport, and I doubt many will be surprised by this news.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/5/20/4349354/antonio-margarito-reportedly-planning-boxing-comeback-2013

bet they wish they'd stuffed all that machismo bullshit in there pockets against Pac now

Garcia should pay Cheato a % of all his purses for the rest of his career , he fucked him over

www.boxingscene.com

Margarito Denies Return, Furious With Tabloid Rumors

LOS ANGELES, CA.-Surprised by recent articles claiming his return to boxing, former World Champion Antonio Margarito has announced that there is absolutely no truth on a possible return to the sport or that he is suffering from financial difficulties due to a divorce.

The Mexican fighter hasn't been in the ring since his December 2011 rematch loss to Miguel Cotto. He announced his retirement on June of last year. Currently, the 'Tijuana Tornado' is living in Los Angeles.

"I was surprised by several unfounded rumors regarding my current situation, including news on a return to boxing and supposedly a divorce settlement that has left me broke and with the need to return to boxing. In some cases, the information dealt with news of my return, and some unfounded news about a settlement. However, some tabloid media has gone further than that, spreading unfounded rumors that no one took the trouble to investigate fully.", said Margarito.

"I am the fist to admit that my time in the boxing stage is a thing of the past, and as a man who has his feet firmly on the ground I also know that I have to be jealous of guarding my property, as it will be difficult to find another profession that could produce a higher yield than what I earned in the ring," he added.

"However; there is some damage to my family that can be done by spreading lies and half-truths. We have been officially separated from my wife Michelle for over two years. She is now on a new relation and pregnant. Since then, I have also started a new life, and also had a baby with my girlfriend Lorena Vidales. The divorce settlement has not been finalized and as civilized people, we respect each other's life and during this time have been negotiating the settlement," said Margarito.

"With what we will share, I expect that it will help us to live, if not full of luxuries, in a comfortable lifestyle. However, when people start talking of "a millionaire settlement", it exposes Michelle and my children - who live in Tijuana, Mexico- to becoming victims of blackmail and even kidnapping. That is why I wanted to make this public statement about the situation,' Margarito added.

"I accepted and still accept any criticism about my boxing career and was always thankful that the press covered my boxing career, but this is not a case strictly related to the sport. I believe that boxing has been used by a few journalists to trample on my private life, showing no respect for other people who have nothing to do with boxing and could be seriously hurt by this erroneous information," he concluded.

• 1 year later...