Mir says Lesnar would have been dominant in UFC if he never got diverticulitis

blackrican23

Brock Lesnar is currently working for WWE, playing a key role at Wrestlemania XXIX two weeks ago at MetLife Stadium.

He’s been back with the pro wrestling organization now for a year after starting with it from 2002 to 2004. But his greatest UFC rival, Frank Mir, can’t help but to wonder what-if when it comes to Lesnar’s MMA career.

“Honestly, I think the guy got so ill, he just couldn’t do it anymore,†Mir told The Post last week. “He had to leave or his quality of life wouldn’t have been normal.â€

Lesnar, now 35, battled through two separate bouts of diverticulitis during his nearly four-year tenure with the UFC. The first time, in 2009, he needed surgery to repair a perforation in his intestine. Another procedure, to remove a 12-inch piece of his colon, was necessary in 2011.

Before getting sick, Lesnar beat Randy Couture to win the UFC title and defended the belt against Mir in a dominant performance. Mir actually submitted Lesnar in his UFC debut in 2008.

Lesnar really was never the same after the second Mir bout. He didn’t fight again until a year later due to the illness and was nearly knocked cold in the first round against Shane Carwin before rallying in the second to submit him.

Three months later, in October 2010, Lesnar was knocked out by Cain Velasquez, losing the title. He was then diagnosed with the second case of diverticulitis and sat out 14 months. In his second comeback fight, Lesnar was knocked out by Alistair Overeem in December 2011.

Lesnar announced his retirement from MMA afterward, finishing with just a 4-3 record in the UFC. Mir feels like that would have been much more impressive if Lesnar stayed healthy.

“We didn’t get to see the Brock I fought,†said Mir, who meets Daniel Cormier at UFC on FOX 7 on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. “Had he not been ill, things would have been different.â€

UFC president Dana White said in January that last year he tried pulling Lesnar back for a massive fight with legendary heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko that would have headlined a card at Cowboys Stadium. But Emelianenko’s father died during negotiations and he decided not to go through with it. White said that Lesnar then conceded “I’m done, too.â€

Mir and Lesnar had a contentious relationship in the UFC. Mir once said in an interview that he wanted to make Lesnar the first death in the Octagon. Mir said he doesn’t think much about the trilogy that could have been, though, “that would be something of a closure in my career.â€

Mir is a two-time UFC heavyweight champion and doesn’t need the accolades. His hatred of Lesnar has clearly cooled over the years. Mir was outspoken before the Overeem fight that Lesnar would beat the massive Dutch kickboxer with his superior wrestling rather easily.

Of course, it didn’t turn out that way. Overeem targeted Lesnar’s damaged midsection. But Mir, even today, stands by his statements.

“The old Brock, I don’t think I would have been too far off,†he said.

Read more: Brock Lesnar, current WWE star, would have been dominant in the UFC if he never got diverticulitis, according to UFC rival Frank Mir http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/diverticulitis_says_lesnar_would_johQGFsdhpfy08Lywcm3pI#ixzz2Qj9BvrSP

Any illness that impairs your ability to give 100%, can only mean you would have more of a chance of achieving a higher status if the illness was removed I would have thought!