LMWBXR

• Members

By: Staff reports | August 21, 2016 10:02 pm

This is the first female pro fight I have got to watch on tv in english since I started boxing.  (Way back in 2013 lol).  :boxIt was a great and technically sound fight but I would have given it to Vincent as her punches had massive effect.  Not quite sure what the judges were seeing here.  Women's boxing on PBC and Claressa Shields winning 2x gold is a huge day.  These fights are worth watching.   It's a step in the right direction towards getting women's boxing televised and eventually increasing the pay for technically sound female pro's.  The action and the skill are there.  (Shout out to the haters, as well as all the peeps watching females on UFC that have no clue that women's boxing exists.) 

http://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/2016/08/21/heather-hardy-tops-shelly-vincent-televised-womens-bout/

"Sunday was a big day for women’s boxing in America.

In Rio De Janeiro, Claressa Shields, from Flint, Mich., won her second consecutive Olympic gold medal to become the first U.S. fighter, male or female, to win multiple gold medals.

Far away, at Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island, N.Y.,  Brooklyn’s Heather Hardy remained undefeated with a hard-fought majority decision against Shelly Vincent, handing Vincent her first loss. It was the first women’s bout televised on NBCSN.

The action was non-stop from the start as Vincent charged in early, looking to close the distance between her and the taller Hardy. Hardy moved around the ring more, looking for the right distance to attack the Providence, R.I., native.

“This is definitely a win for women’s boxing,” said Hardy (18-0, 4 KOs). “We kept up a great pace throughout and the fans were invested the whole time.

“Every time she crowded me, she would get off more punches. I wanted to keep the fight on the outside and when I did that I had a lot of success.”

Hardy’s movement allowed her to create more angles for her attack as she varied her offense with overhand rights, jabs and hooks. Vincent was consistent countering, with her left hand finding the most success.

Hardy threw 752 punches while Vincent threw 678 over the 10 two-minute rounds. Hardy connected on 251 punches to 194 for Vincent.

“I thought I won the fight pretty convincingly,” said Hardy. “She only really caught me a few times the whole fight. I knew I had to be tactical to win the fight. Judging by the belt around my waist, I would rate my performance a 10.”

The judges ruled it for Hardy by scores of 99-91, 97-93 and 95-95. Vincent (18-1, 1 KO) believed she did enough to win the fight.

“I definitely thought I won the fight,” said Vincent. “I was coming forward and I landed the bigger shots. Everyone saw the fight.

'I got head-butted all night long. I came here and everybody told me I’d get robbed. I’ll take the rematch but I’m not playing by these rules. I want her to come up to Providence.' "

Hardy Vs Vincent.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think the issue we have with Womens sport being televised such as boxing, is that the men dont really give a shit about watching it and the majority of women dont give a shit about boxing in general whether its male or female - so although participation might increase I cannot see there ever being a significant enough following to raise the interest levels enough for the networks to invest in it!

13 hours ago, LMWBXR said:

By: Staff reports | August 21, 2016 10:02 pm

This is the first female pro fight I have got to watch on tv in english since I started boxing.  (Way back in 2013 lol).  :boxIt was a great and technically sound fight but I would have given it to Vincent as her punches had massive effect.  Not quite sure what the judges were seeing here.  Women's boxing on PBC and Claressa Shields winning 2x gold is a huge day.  These fights are worth watching.   It's a step in the right direction towards getting women's boxing televised and eventually increasing the pay for technically sound female pro's.  The action and the skill are there.  (Shout out to the haters, as well as all the peeps watching females on UFC that have no clue that women's boxing exists.) 

http://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/2016/08/21/heather-hardy-tops-shelly-vincent-televised-womens-bout/

"Sunday was a big day for women’s boxing in America.

In Rio De Janeiro, Claressa Shields, from Flint, Mich., won her second consecutive Olympic gold medal to become the first U.S. fighter, male or female, to win multiple gold medals.

Far away, at Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island, N.Y.,  Brooklyn’s Heather Hardy remained undefeated with a hard-fought majority decision against Shelly Vincent, handing Vincent her first loss. It was the first women’s bout televised on NBCSN.

The action was non-stop from the start as Vincent charged in early, looking to close the distance between her and the taller Hardy. Hardy moved around the ring more, looking for the right distance to attack the Providence, R.I., native.

“This is definitely a win for women’s boxing,” said Hardy (18-0, 4 KOs). “We kept up a great pace throughout and the fans were invested the whole time.

“Every time she crowded me, she would get off more punches. I wanted to keep the fight on the outside and when I did that I had a lot of success.”

Hardy’s movement allowed her to create more angles for her attack as she varied her offense with overhand rights, jabs and hooks. Vincent was consistent countering, with her left hand finding the most success.

Hardy threw 752 punches while Vincent threw 678 over the 10 two-minute rounds. Hardy connected on 251 punches to 194 for Vincent.

“I thought I won the fight pretty convincingly,” said Hardy. “She only really caught me a few times the whole fight. I knew I had to be tactical to win the fight. Judging by the belt around my waist, I would rate my performance a 10.”

The judges ruled it for Hardy by scores of 99-91, 97-93 and 95-95. Vincent (18-1, 1 KO) believed she did enough to win the fight.

“I definitely thought I won the fight,” said Vincent. “I was coming forward and I landed the bigger shots. Everyone saw the fight.

'I got head-butted all night long. I came here and everybody told me I’d get robbed. I’ll take the rematch but I’m not playing by these rules. I want her to come up to Providence.' "

Hardy Vs Vincent.jpg

if you get a chance watch try to watch   Amanda 'The Real Deal' Serrano  

Rousey would never wake up if she stops bluffing about trying to make in womens boxing  and faces Amanda 

• Upvote 1

• Members

Things change.  In 2011 women were "never" going to fight in the UFC either.   Dana White ..."We are never going to see women in the UFC."  

17 hours ago, Mofo2 said:

I think the issue we have with Womens sport being televised such as boxing, is that the men dont really give a shit about watching it and the majority of women dont give a shit about boxing in general whether its male or female - so although participation might increase I cannot see there ever being a significant enough following to raise the interest levels enough for the networks to invest in it!

This is a good point because even non boxing type dudes like to watch a guy get his face busted in... Not so much w/ regular women watching boxing.  The fans are hardcore boxing fans and friends and family of the fighters.  I think it's going to happen though.  

@JoshB It's a little bit more than... Ronda sells tickets because she breaks arms.  I love Ronda, but I hate when people want to see boxers fight MMA fighters, or guys fight girls...it's irrelevant and just talk.  

The punch stats for this fight were legit for 10 2's; "The punch stats reflected the high-intensity style of the fight, with Hardy throwing 752 punches and Vincent throwing 678 during the 10 two-minute rounds." , & the crowd was on their feet and loud.  But...I'm not here to convince anyone :deadhorse  I am just looking for the day when a female pro can grace an undercard or 2 that is televised and bring home a reasonable paycheck.  

@blackrican23  I have seen Serrano.  She is no joke.  I like Melissa Hernandez, Lucia Rijker, Shields... and any female that is technically sound and boxes like a dude lol.  

• Upvote 1

Lala Ali , christy martin , mia st john were all main event fighters whos career earnings more than ufc mens all time career or close , just fights not the endorsements apperances and sponsorship which is how rousey makes her money . Rousey only made 1.6 mill in fight purses , spider silvia  ufc is all time highest at 6 mill

Lala made 10 mill forget gracing an under cards  women can headline 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

Lala Ali , christy martin , mia st john were all main event fighters whos career earnings more than ufc mens all time career or close , just fights not the endorsements apperances and sponsorship which is how rousey makes her money . Rousey only made 1.6 mill in fight purses , spider silvia  ufc is all time highest at 6 mill

Lala made 10 mill forget gracing an under cards  women can headline 

You will always get singular examples of fighters doing well, but if you look at the whole instead of the part, its difficult to see the sport ever becoming a player when you have such a hardcore following in the mens game without them ever even giving a thought to watching women participating - tbh there are boxing fans that dont even give the undercards of the big fights serious attention because they only want to see main or chief supporting events!

Its difficult for women to ever be taken serious in my opinion; MMA is a different thing, its a developing sport where the Big fighters are given almost equal billing!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mofo2 said:

You will always get singular examples of fighters doing well, but if you look at the whole instead of the part, its difficult to see the sport ever becoming a player when you have such a hardcore following in the mens game without them ever even giving a thought to watching women participating - tbh there are boxing fans that dont even give the undercards of the big fights serious attention because they only want to see main or chief supporting events!

Its difficult for women to ever be taken serious in my opinion; MMA is a different thing, its a developing sport where the Big fighters are given almost equal billing!

when it comes to women combat fighters it lies with in the marketability not in the actual quality of fighter , rousey is perfect example marketing her dominating weaker women was a success outside the ring with endorsements but has made actually very little money from UFC fights and lost to her best opponent who was a boxing star

But I totally agree its a hardcore mans sport, even tho I love women fighting ( any live card I have attended women put on a show) I dont feel satisfied when they say American boxing has a gold medal and its Clarissa Shields , doesnt feel the same

my point about money was in reference to the poster who claims women should go mma to make money when its not the case at all , if it is then lets see how big  Valentina  Shevchenko becomes , she is a legit fighter  but doesnt have rouseys appeal 

• Upvote 1

• Members
16 hours ago, Mofo2 said:

You will always get singular examples of fighters doing well, but if you look at the whole instead of the part, its difficult to see the sport ever becoming a player when you have such a hardcore following in the mens game without them ever even giving a thought to watching women participating - tbh there are boxing fans that dont even give the undercards of the big fights serious attention because they only want to see main or chief supporting eventsIts difficult for women to ever be taken serious in my opinion; MMA is a different thing, its a developing sport where the Big fighters are given almost equal billing!

Yes, I think only hardcore fans can appreciate the fact that the undercards often have better skill and talent than some of the main events.  People get caught up in hype & names.  I think the 'rebirth' of women's boxing is now... but we will have to see how it goes down. #biased  Marketability is a thing though...  it should be about boxing skill but the $$$$ reigns supreme to the promoters & networks. :whiteflag

• Upvote 1