Crawford sentenced to jail

GRIM

Five days after he scored a TKO against his opponent, boxing champion Terence “Bud” Crawford was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in jail in connection with a disturbance at a north Omaha body shop.

Crawford, 29, showed up for court dressed in a gray sweatsuit and old-school Michael Jordan Nike high-tops. Before she announced the sentence, Judge Marcena Hendrix told Crawford, “You’ve continued to act as if you are above the law, and you are not.”

Makayla Maclin, an assistant Omaha city prosecutor, had told Hendrix that Crawford was “not truthful” during a presentence investigation.

Hendrix also ordered Crawford to serve two years’ probation and 120 hours of community service. He also must also pay $6,000 in restitution to the body shop owner and undergo random drug and alcohol tests.

The judge said Crawford was not eligible for house arrest.

A Douglas County Sheriff’s Office deputy cuffed Crawford’s hands behind his back and took him away immediately after the sentencing.

Under sentencing guidelines, Crawford will serve about 53 days.

Michael Carter, a friend and mentor to Crawford, called the sentence "devastating."

"My thoughts are for his family, his kids," Carter said. "His kids are everything to him. I can't fathom him being away from his kids during the holidays."

Crawford's attorney Matthew Kahler immediately filed an appeal motion to have the fighter released and at 4pm local time on Thursday the request was granted. "The appeal process is already in motion," Kahler, who hopes to have the conviction quashed, told KETV Omaha, "We look forward to proceeding with the appeal."

Prosecutor Matt Kuhse obviously had a different view when saying:"I think the sentence that she imposed is fair, I think it's appropriate given the circumstances of what happened."

http://www.ketv.com/article/world-boxing-champion-terrence-crawford-sentenced-to-jail-following-court-appearance/8503284