Collazo ready for Khan

Mofo2

From seemingly heading to the scrapheap, southpaw Collazo suddenly found himself a man in demand - and now faces the possibility that victory over Amir Khan on Floyd Mayweather's undercard in Las Vegas on May 3 could set him up for a lucrative shot at the man himself.

It is a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for a fighter who gave Hatton all the trouble he could handle in what was the Manchester fighter's welterweight debut - just as it will be Khan's - in Boston in 2006, in a fight many ringside observers believed the American ought to have edged.

Collazo said: "Back then I was on top of the world but God said it wasn't my time and now I'm on his time.

"It just shows you how you can grow and when you have faith how your life can be transformed.

"Last year I was nowhere, I didn't know where my career was heading and not being offered big fights was making me literally depressed.

"But times change. Last year was a tough one, but 2014 is turning out to be a blessed one. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to get back on top of the boxing world."

Collazo had gone into the Hatton fight with a reputation as a solid if unremarkable champion and his perceived lack of threat helped him stick around the big time for a couple more years in the wake of that narrow defeat.

He was easily outpointed by veteran Shane Mosley in Las Vegas in February the following year, and dropped a close unanimous decision to Andre Berto in Biloxi in January 2009.

But that loss appeared to mark the end of Collazo's tenure as a top-level fighter before persistence paid off with a tremendous performance against Ortiz, whom Collazo largely controlled before landing the cuffing right hand which stopped the bout as the bell sounded to end the second round.

Collazo finds himself in the customary position of outsider against Khan, but he insists he is simply pleased to be in a position to prove the world wrong one last time.

"This fight is the one that will get me back to the top of the welterweight division," added Collazo. "He's got great speed but he's stepping up to my weight and it doesn't bother me. I've been the underdog all my life."

I would be surprised...very surprised if Khan lost this fight, Amir has speed and power that he wont be able to handle!!

I would personally like to see Collazo pull it off, IMO he got the short end of the stick against both Hatton and Berto. 

Same here bruddah :tup

Clearly outboxed my arse-you seriously need to watch that fight again, Hatton was landing some great shots in comparison to flicks from jabs, there isnt even room for a draw and that is being conservative that he is within two points!!

I've watched the fight a few times, not recently though. I think Collazo was deserving of a draw or even a win and actually thought he edged it. It was a razor close fight by my view and don't think it was a bad a decision that Hatton won in the same sense. There were a lot of very close rounds, then some rounds that were clear for both guys. I'll watch it again, since it's been awhile and see if maybe I see it different than I did when I watched it a few years ago. 

Now the Berto fight I don't think was quite as close and thought Collazo should have won that fight and thought it was hard to make a case for Berto. But it's been a while since I watched that fight as well.

Close to some who score on 4 or five jabs in comparison to 2 or 3 very good shots.....having volume doesn't win you a round in itself, Hatton was throwing some great shots that were going unanswered!!

You're going to be hard pressed to find many people who agree with you on this one Mofo.. But we're the crazy ones :slobkilla .

I know many people from many forums who are of the same opinion tbf.....gotta say most peeps aint got a fucking clue how to score a fight though :wave

i'll put up a better scorecard than you...& then i'll shoot a doule leg takedown, get you to the ground & then sink in a nice tight rear naked choke, squeezing on your corroted artery until you pass out. Oh yeah.

told ya :D