Ponce De Leon vs. Mares ready for war

blackrican23

While every boxing fan, media, and insider is pumped up about the May 4 Mayweather vs. Guerrero fight, the co-feature between WBC featherweight champion Daniel Ponce de Leon (44-4, 35 KOs) and unbeaten former super bantamweight champion Abner Mares (25-0-1, 13 KOs) could steal the show. However for longtime Southern California boxing manager Frank Espinoza this may be the toughest fight he has ever had to watch. Espinoza manages the career of both fighters.

“It will be a great night of boxing. For me it’s going to be awkward for the fact that my son and I are not going to be walking out with either fighter. I will be in the ring greeting the fighters wishing them good luck,†Espinoza told Fightnews.com. “This is going to be a great opportunity for both of them. This fight came when I got the call from Richard Schaefer after a discussion if I would put my fighters up with one another. So I had a conversation with Abner and one separately with Ponce and they both agreed.†

Espinoza began managing the career of Abner Mares back in late 2008 and he entered Mares into the Showtime Bantamweight Tournament guiding him to a world title in December of 2010 when he defeated Vic Darchinyan by split decision. Since then Mares has continued to pile up wins in his undefeated career.

“He was coming off his eye injury. I reached out to him and his dad, we joined forces and now we have been a team ever since. Abner has been with me nine fights. He has done well, been on Showtime six times, now on pay-per-views, he is two time world champion and now he is looking at his third opportunity at a world title,†Espinoza said. “I am glad I was able to provide this fight. I am a fan as well and I think the best should fight the best. I could have gone one direction with one and another direction with another.â€

In 2012, Espinoza began to manage the career of Daniel Ponce de Leon after he went 0-2 in 2011, losing a disputed decision in March to Adrien Broner and a technical decision to Yuriorkis Gamboav. With Espinoza, Ponce de Leon scored a pair of KOs in early 2012 before defeating Jhonny Gonzalez in September by a technical decision winning the WBC featherweight title.

“We were at Staples Center and he was coming off two losses with Broner and Gamboa. He was looking into starting his career over. I had a lot of confidence in him, we did a deal I got him three fights and on the third fight it was for a world title now he is a world champion,†Espinoza said.

“I think they know the benefits of fighting on a card like this. Cinco de Mayo, showcasing their skills, both Mexican warriors, it doesn’t get any better than this. I believe this fight will steal the show. Both of my guys are ready for war.â€

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/ponce-de-leon-vs-mares-ready-for-war-189088#more-189088

• Members

Oo, I can't stand Mares, that lucky sob! Now he's already talking about fighting Rigondeaux-that fool.:pms He'll be lucky if he gets past PDL. Come on Ponce, knock this douchebag out!

• WBF OG

ponce de leon=perro angulo.  cavemen.  mares will pepper his face all night.

• Members

stop dick riding that bum, he lost clean stop it

:pms Maybe you should give me your scorecard? We can make it into a thread, a scoring thread. If you got the balls.:cop

• Members

Mares won that fair and square, and he is better than PDL but it will still be a fun fight to watch and Ponce still has a shot. Mares is a top 10 p4p fighter.

Did you watch Ponce's last fight? He really overwhelmed Jhonny with his constant aggression and fluid movement as well. He surprised me, didn't think he was that good.

• Members

yeah got to go with mares, ponce can do good if you let him stay on the outside & throw those leaping, oddly timed 1 2's.

however you gotta think that mares will get in closer & blitz him with combo's en route to a ud. might see some head clashes though.

Not long ago, Mares fighting at BANTAM. Ponce has never fought below super bantam and even that was a while back. He's fought at super fw too and looked good at it. Mares can't get away with dirty tricks now because he is the weaker and smaller man here, he better not try to bully PDL! Coz he gonna get it.