Mayweather has Guerrero rematch clause

all i'm saying is that in 2008 & 2009 the welterweight division was red hot, you had cotto,mosely,margarito, cintron,paul williams,clottey & pacquiao. a bunch of killers hungry to fight. it was a loaded, deep division & the boxing world was absolutely dying to see mayweather mix it up with some of these guys.

& who did he go & fight!!!!????

marquez..

that's it.

that's my problem with mayweather.

Again I feel this is revisionist history a bit. Let's look at what was going on in the division.  When Floyd was coming back, Cotto and Margarito were busy fighting each other and as you recall - Cotto wasn't ready to fight anyone for a long period of time after that match (plaster in the gloves and all), and neither was Margarito. 

Cintron?  Please you aren't trying to call him a legitimate opponent are you? 

And Clottey?  I have a feeling that if he fought Clottey, then Mayweather would have come into heavy criticism for fighting a Pacquiao "leftover" which is a critique that Pacquiao somehow gets excused from when it comes to fighting Mayweather leftovers.

I'll grant you this, JMM was not a very stellar opponent, I think it was a strategic move to show-up Pacquiao (since he struggled twice with JMM) and try to prove superiority while also choosing a safer comeback fight.  I'll criticize him for this but then look at his next fight:

you list cotto,mosely,margarito, cintron,paul williams,clottey & pacquiao. 

cotto was out, cintron is laughable, clottey doesn't cut it, pacquiao you have already excused yourself, Paul Williams I'll definitely grant you - but then Mosley destroyed Margarito and Mayweather FOUGHT MOSLEY NEXT!

???

when floyd was coming back cotto was gearing up to fight pacquiao dude

the cotto/margo fight happened a year before floyd's little "comeback".

& your trying to give me a history lesson?  :chin

& say all you want about cintron & clottey, but the fact is that they were top 10 guys @ 147, and were much bigger threats to mayweather than a 135 pd marquez who had just went life & death with juan fucking diaz.

that division was red hot, full of very tough fighters & like a true businesman floyd weasled his way out of fighting most of them! 

he waited for these guys to do the hard work & beat eachothers brains in & then came back to have his pick at what was left. that's what happened!

in the ufc he would have been forced to fight most of those guys!!

he didn't even want the mosely fight & it took over a fucking year till he agreed to it!! ( & for good reason cause he almost got ktfo!! lol!)

You're right about Cotto and Pacquiao, my fault there, bad memory I suppose. 

Back to the history lesson, how does that change the point at all? 

you list cotto,mosely,margarito, cintron,paul williams,clottey & pacquiao.

Cotto and Pac were fighting each other.  Paul Williams, I'll give ya him.  cintron and clottey were not great opponents and the way you have hilariously  tried to discredit Mosley as Floyd's second opponent after his comeback already illustrates to me that you would be nitpicking Floyd's resume no matter who he was fighting.... but let's concede that and put it aside for a moment. 

Floyd hadn't fought in almost 2 years - are you really criticizing a career of excellent opponents because his FIRST comeback fight was against JMM and not Joshua Clottey?  Gimme a break.

Comeback fight against JMM then he fights SHANE MOSLEY who had just destroyed Margarito.  How do you really find fault with this????  Should Floyd have not retired for 2 years in the first place??? Ok, that is a separate debate. 

But considering the circumstances he comes back and fights JMM - but then he fights Mosley, Ortiz and Cotto... these are guys on your list, save for Ortiz who I suppose was also not a worthy opponent?  but Joshua Clottey and Kermit Cintron are?

lmao where did i discredit him for fighting mosely?? all i criticized him for was waitiover a year after the margarito wito fight him.

floyd didn't want that fight & looked high & low for a easier fight that could still a big payday, but he couldn't find one so he finally took the mosely fight.

this is all BS speculation - the fact is that he fought Shane Mosley who is on your list of "amazing" welterweights. 

yes that's my argument. he defeated hatton (a weak welterweight) & then seeing that the division was heating up "retired" & let all these tough fighters eat eachother up & then came ack years later to cherry pick what was left. 

To criticize Floyd for fighting Hatton is pure folly - the exact type of revisionist bullshit history that FORCED me to start defending Floyd Mayweather's level of competition.

EVERYONE was clamoring for Floyd to fight Hatton.  Everyone.  Hatton was the rising star, P4P elite who also fought around the same weight class and when Mayweather didn't fight him right away after DLH he was already coming into heavy crticism and rightly so.

I was one of the people criticizing Floyd for not fighting Hatton and I stated that if he did fight him I would not change my tune and discredit hatton after the fact... which is what a large portion of boxing fans are doing now, years after the fact.  now hatton is just a weak welterweight who floyd fought to avoid dangerous welters... lol.  it's a poor re-write of how things actually were back then.

on the separate argument, I'll agree that he shouldn't have "retired" for 18 month... but since he did, i think his first comeback fight vs. JMM was a marketing ploy, then after the comeback fight his competition has been TOP notch until Guerrero last week.

you don't seem to even know what happened 6 years ago Josh. You are unaware that Hatton was THE opponent for Mayweather back then, and he was getting heavily criticized for not fighting him. 

I really disagree with the premise of discrediting Hatton as an opponent. 

As for Mosley, that's just BS speculation.  You want to believe he was trying to avoid the fight... when the truth is he fought Mosley and defeated him.

Out of your list, he has fought Mosley and Cotto... and those are the two better opponents on that list, with the exception of Pacquiao.  You still aren't making even a half decent argument against Floyd's competiton.  Your argument is that he should've fought Kermit Cintron or Joshua Clottey.  Wow Josh. 

Dude theres a difference between fighting cotto @147 when he was undeafeated and fighting him YEARS later @ 154 when his career is winding down and hes already gotten brutally beaten down a couple times.

But you are saying that Floyd should've fought Kermit Cintron???  WHo had been brutally beaten down a couple of times by Margarito and gifted a draw with Martinez? 

pfft what did hatton do at welterweight? defeat a past it castillo? get his ass kicked by luis collazo? wow that's so impressive!!

hatton beat castillo at 140lbs.   :madlol @ "ass kicked by luis collazo".  how'd you score that one, chief?

Cotto>cintron ...but cintron would have been better than jmm.

You have shown me a certain disposition that leads me to believe if Floyd had fought Cintron instead of JMM, you would have been saying that Cintron was damaged goods because he had been beaten down twice (by margarito) and also gotten his ass kicked by Martinez (certainly moreso than Hatton by Collazo as you claim).

collazo should not have lost his title imo

looking @ ricky's face post fight alone tells you who got the better of it!

Ricky's face was always beaten up and he was susceptible to cuts after most fights, that's just the way it was for him and has no bearing what so ever on a fight result!

well clean punches do tend to cause more facial damage you know..

ricky did good early on in that fight but got outboxed for too many rds to get the win imo.

i'd have no problem scoring the fight & putting it up against your scorecards  :coffee

incorrect.  some people's faces show damage more than others, some fighters get cut mor than others... some fighters land ten clean punches but get hit back with one shot that lands weird on their nose and breaks it, or caught with their mouth open and breaks their jaw, or glances off the side of your face and cuts you over the eye, or just hits that (not so) sweet spot under the eye and bruises your orbital bone and it starts to swell. 

• Upvote 1

incorrect.  some people's faces show damage more than others, some fighters get cut mor than others... some fighters land ten clean punches but get hit back with one shot that lands weird on their nose and breaks it, or caught with their mouth open and breaks their jaw, or glances off the side of your face and cuts you over the eye, or just hits that (not so) sweet spot under the eye and bruises your orbital bone and it starts to swell.

Absolutely spot on!!

or some fighters just have poor defence & get hit alot in their fights which leads their adoring fans to believe that "oh he just marks up easily. that's all!"... when the reality is, that the facial damage has come from getting hit with too many clean punches.

i say if you guys are so sure that ricky deserved the title...than let's go ahead & score the fight.

fans

no the reality is each fight and fighter is diffrent that's why you actually watch the fight and score it rather than look at their facial damage afterwards to decide who won. 

Oh, and I would score the fight.  I know you are a man of your word, Josh B.  I can't say anyone else here will score it. mofo2 is certainly not a man of his word on these matters.  Not sure if there is much point.

If you post it... I'll respond.