Ponce De Leon Accepts Gary Russell Jr. For September 7

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

Former champion Daniel Ponce de Leon (44-5, 35KOs) is planning to move up in weight to 130-pounds and reveals that he recently accepted an offer to fight Gary Russell Jr. on September 7th, televised on Showtime and likely in Texas. In his last fight, Ponce was stopped in the ninth round by Abner Mares in May. The tough Mexican is now looking to move up to a new division to start fresh. He says the Russell (22-0, 13KOs) fight would have to happen at 130-pounds, as Russell fights at 126. Russell is fast but tends to hurt his hands, as he did against Vyacheslav Gusev in March.

"I'm ready, the bitter pill of defeat is over and now I have to look forward and keep training. I was offered Gary Russell Jr., and I want that fight but at 130. I'm going to fight on September 7, a week before Canelo's fight [with Mayweather]. That is what we are doing right now. I hope Russell takes the fight, I already accepted it. Golden Boy wants the fight, the television network wants it and now it is only up to him to accept. It would be in El Paso, Texas," Ponce said.

yeah not a great fight to me, look for Russell to definitely break his hands on Ponces easy to hit head

• Members

russell will slap this caveman around in one sided fashion. 

I tend to think so too. Look out for some serious schooling. Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see.:box

I tend to think so too. Look out for some serious schooling. Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see. :box

what do you mean by cant see :?  Russell isn't a mover at all , likes to stay in the pocket and fight and gets hit quite a bit but never by the likes of a puncher like Ponce

Russell seems to have hand injuries every bout like Layton said if he does in this one it could be a long night

Ha Russell ducks claiming hes fighting in August instead to "test" his hand

so expected to see him against another corpse

• Members

Ha Russell ducks claiming hes fighting in August instead to "test" his hand

so expected to see him against another corpse

What u got against Russell?? He's one of the brightest new talents today!

• Members

russell jr needs to step it up this is getting ridiculous. 

?? Whatcha talking about, this IS a step up for him, not a HUGE step up but still a step up.