Rigondeaux Update

blackrican23

Scuttlebutt on social media Wednesday is that HBO is not interesting in bringing WBA/WBO world super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux back for another fight following his unanimous decision win over Nonito Donaire in April. Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum is not happy about it and will likely have to put the Cuban ring technician on pay-per-view undercards.

Meanwhile, Rigondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde has laid out a plan of potential fights he’d like to put Rigondeaux in that spans five continents.

Fight 1: Rigondeaux vs. Frampton in Europe
Fight 2: Rigondeaux vs. Shimoda in Asia
Fight 3: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko in Africa
Fight 4: Rigondeaux vs. Darchinyan in Australia
Fight 5: Rigondeaux vs. Mares in North America

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/guillermo-rigondeaux-update-3-212086

need to replace some of the purposed corpses with live bodies geesh

Shimoda :madlol  Darchiyan isn't making it past his next fight another no hoper :madlol agbeko has lost 3 of his last 5 :facepalm

According to Arum they want nothing to do with him, Bob can get him on Showtime but takes dealing with GB

• 2 weeks later...
Mendoza Jr rips HBO over Rigondeaux situation

By Gabriel F. Cordero

WBA Executive Vice President Gilberto J. Mendoza has expressed solidarity with unified WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux and strongly criticized the HBO network.

Mendoza wrote the following: “A few days ago something happened that surprised me for its possible significance: HBO gave a resounding no to present fights of Cuban Guillermo “The Jackal” Rigondeaux. I believe, this discriminatory and unreasonable decision limits possibilities to an individual who seeks to live the American dream. It’s not enough to have defeated Nonito Donaire, not enough to have two Olympic gold medals under his belt, it’s simply because promoters and managers of the prestigious network believe technical boxers are boring. This is huge discrimination. Styles make fights. Not all bouts will have the same intensity. The loyal fan always enjoys the puncher or the stylist, but if the interest is to expand the scope of viewers, closing the door to a great athlete is not the solution.”

To Mendoza Jr., the HBO excuse is invalid. “I don’t know how much the broken relationship between HBO and Golden Boy is changing their marketing strategies and penetration in boxing,” he stated.

Mendoza’s concern is this may be the first step toward denying opportunities to many other Latin American fighters. “If the fighter doesn’t meet commercial expectations, produces no money, they won’t put him on the screen.”
“This is a reality. If a boxer is not in the media, if the fans are not going to the event, and and if the television in their home countries do not buy the rights, the fighter has low value. The solution is not to tell the coaches to prepare only sluggers. That would be fatal to the tactical and strategic styles.

It would remove the pretty side of the sport, denying opportunities to all young people with skill and intelligence in favor of brute force. This is very inconvenient for those who live and breathe this discipline, but everything in life mutates, everything changes. We must find ways to adapt to these new challenges.”

just a question has HBO ever issued a statement or just what bob said on this?

I feel Arum is the bigger problem in this . other networks do exist. TR can get off there asses and get creative  

why dont they just give him some easy matchups so rigo can look good ko'ing them & gain fans

I take it you are trolling?????

Bob has Khabib on Being that's a soccer network, the guy has two world titles in one of the most competitive divisions in boxing and he's on a soccer channel, I wouldn't be shocked if Rigo isn't wanted by HBO, in this case Bob isn't lying he would love to get checks from HBO for Rigo fights but they don't appreciate skill.

Rigo unfortunately doesn't seem to excite the punters, his profile is raising though!