Brian Magee failed doping test after last year's Kessler fight

Mofo2

It has emerged that Lisburn's former European super middleweight champion Brian Magee (36-5-1) tested positive for banned substance Oxilofrine after his fight with Mikkel Kessler last December.

Oxilofrine (also known as methylsynephrine) is the same substance that top Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson tested positive for last week. It is used to boost the body's ability to burn fat. It is thought to increase adrenaline production, boosting endurance, focus, alertness and heart rate and increasing oxygenation of the blood.

The six month UK Anti-Doping ban began on 30th January this year and will expire on 29th of this month, meaning southpaw Magee, aged 38,  can compete in professional boxing contests after next week. Details of the ban were only published by UK Anti-Doping today.

Magee, who was also Interim WBA champion, told the Irish Independent: "I was in total shock when I was told I had tested positive, and I honestly thought someone was playing a joke.

"All I could think was I could get a lifetime ban or even a two-year ban which at my age would have meant my career was as good as over.

"I have had 30 or 40 tests in my career and never tested positive. I have always been extremely careful about everything I have taken, and I didn't do anything differently before the Kessler fight."

Magee's manager Pat Magee said: "Brian is a clean boxer and I couldn't believe it when I was informed in February. It just goes to show you can never be too careful as far as these supplements are concerned."

Magee has stated his intentions to return to the ring.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2013/brian-magee-failed-doping-test-after-last-years-kessler-fight?