Froch v Groves confirmed

Mofo2

Carl Froch will defend his IBF and WBA super middleweight titles against George Groves this winter. The all-British clash will take place in late November or early December, with a venue to be confirmed at a later date. Froch added the WBA title to his IBF belt when he defeated Mikkel Kessler in a thrilling rematch at the O2 Arena in May, with unbeaten Groves capturing the vacant WBA Inter-Continental title on the same bill with a fifth-round stoppage of Noe Gonzalez Alcoba.

Groves was named as the mandatory challenger by the IBF and Froch believes it is a fight that will capture the imagination of British sports fans.

"I'm excited the first defence of both my belts is a big domestic clash," said Froch. "I am a proper fighter and a proper champion and I will always face my mandatory challenger rather than vacate the title.

"I've known George for a while, I've sparred with him and watched him grow and now he's my mandatory. I will be pouring everything into my preparation for the fight and George will face the very best of me."

Groves added: "This is the biggest fight of my career and being a world champion is something that I dreamed of as a kid. I'm well ranked across all the governing bodies but fighting Carl is the one that I wanted the most.

"I'm delighted to have got this fight made. It's a great fight for British boxing with a real throwback feel to the big domestic fights in the super middleweight fights in the 90s."

Eddie Hearn

"He is a big name in the UK and a well-respected champion around the world, and I have a great team around me that can put together the right game plan to beat him and become a world champion and a major force in the super middleweight division."

The quality of this fight will hinge on Groves ability to handle the pressure of the build up to such a massive fight for him...for Froch it's a step down!