Rendall Munroe: I'm hitting harder now

Slayer

• Members

He should retire imo. Got nothing left to do or prove.

Former world title challenger Rendall Munroe (25-3-1) takes on Barnsley's 'KO Kid' Andy Townend (7-1) over 10 rounds at the Doncaster Dome on September 28, and is looking to prove his worth in the super featherweight division.

According to the Leicester Mercury, the winner will be put forward for a crack at the English title.

"The journey starts again," the former European super-bantam champion told the Mercury.

"That is where it all started for me last time. I'm already back in the gym and, weight-wise, I'm not far away.

"That makes a difference. Before I was always thinking about the weight but now I can just think about the training. It is about getting things right, getting the right sparring partners and stepping things up slowly."

"I have always been strong but there is a difference between strength and power. I know it is there now. People I have sparred with before have told me I'm hitting harder now. Here is my chance to prove it."

KO Kid Townend has four stoppage wins on his record, and fought over the ten round distance back in March when he forced another Barnsley fighter, Ben Wager, to retire in the eighth, earning him the British Masters Lightweight title. His career loss came to Newcastle 'Bullet' Dougie Curran a month beforehand.

Following his brief retirement after losing to Scott Quigg in November, Munroe came back in May with one round blowout of Hungarian Laszlo Fekete (8-2). He insists that his drive to become world champion is still strong:

"If I put in the effort and show the dedication, then why can't it happen?

"You always know yourself when the drive has gone. The drive is there. I'm excited."