Nacho: The Only Way To Beat Mayweather is With a Bat!

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

Renowned trainer Nacho Beristan has trained many champions and has faced some great fighters in his long and illustrious career as a trainer. Beristain has two big fights coming up as his fighter Jhonny Gonzalez will try to regain a world title against Abner Mares this Saturday night and Juan Manuel Marquez will tangle with Timothy Bradley in October to try to secure his fifth world title in a fifth weight class.

BoxingScene and ESNEWS caught up with Nacho as the legendary trainer was asked to give his take on the mega fight between Floyd Mayweather and Saul “Canelo†Alvarez.

“I’ve always thought Mayweather was a fighter who is totally defensive. He’s smart, very intelligent and in a totally different category. I think if he prepares very well, I think he will be the winner†said Beristain.

Beristain is a huge advocate for Mexican boxing and fighters but as much as he would want to see Alvarez prevail, he doesn’t think it will happen. 

“I hope [he wins] as it would be marvelous for Mexican boxing if he were to win but I think it will be difficultâ€.

Mayweather has always garnered respect from other fighters as well as those in the boxing community and Nacho is no exception. Beristain actually had the opportunity to be on the opposite corner of Floyd as a trainer when Juan Manuel Marquez and Mayweather fought back in 2009.

Marquez jumped up two weight classes to take the fight but was dominated for all 12 rounds of the contest. Given how Marquez has now acclimated better to Welterweight and how physically daunting he looked in the Pacquiao fight, Beristain was asked if he felt that fight would look different today.

“That fight was stupidity. I don’t know whose [idea] it was and I don’t even want to investigate who but a guy like Juan with the stature of a featherweight shouldn’t have fought that fight. It went the 12 rounds only because he’s a great fighter but

Mayweather is different†stated Beristain.

On September 14th Saul Alvarez will embark on a quest 43 others have tried and failed as he will be the 44th fighter to try to take Mayweather’s prestigious 0 away (Castillo fought Mayweather twice). Alvarez shouldn’t feel too bad about Beristain not thinking he could get the job done as he believes there’s only one way a fighter could beat Floyd.

“Only a fighter who goes into the ring with a bat†said Beristain.